daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #10881
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

I-294 (Tri-State Tollway) around Chicago recently had its speed limit increased in most areas. A northern section has a triple limit; 70 for cars, 65 for buses (though this limit is posted on what looks like temporary signs) and 60 for trucks; other sections are posted at 60 for all; some sections remain at 55mph.

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #10882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Mississippi gets two new Interstate Highways next Friday.

I-22 will officially replace US 78 in northern Mississippi. Also, I-269 will open to traffic near Memphis. The new I-269 segment runs in both Tennessee and Mississippi.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Buffaboy, zaphod liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 02:01 AM   #10883
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
I-294 (Tri-State Tollway) around Chicago recently had its speed limit increased in most areas. A northern section has a triple limit; 70 for cars, 65 for buses (though this limit is posted on what looks like temporary signs) and 60 for trucks; other sections are posted at 60 for all; some sections remain at 55mph.
Good !

I remember last time I was in Chicago driving on beautiful freeways and getting passed by everyone while driving 80 - 85 mph, but the speed limit signs all said 55 (Probably the Tollway and also I-355 IIRC)
Old October 20th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #10884
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Here in Seattle, you look like a speed demon if you drive 5 mph over. Drivers here in general are more sedate than back east.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 03:42 AM   #10885
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Here in Seattle, you look like a speed demon if you drive 5 mph over. Drivers here in general are more sedate than back east.
(emphasis added)

Yes, west of the Cascades, most drivers drive as though they are sedated.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 04:15 AM   #10886
Kanadzie

They are. Ever notice how every car is hotboxed?

BarbaricManchurian, Yeezus2 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 07:57 AM   #10887
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
New Jersey

Quote:
[...]I judge people by what exit they get off the parkway. I can navigate a circle--with attitude.[...]I know that 65mph really means 80. I've always lived within 10 minutes of a mall. When someone cuts me off, they get the horn AND the finger. And they expect it. I am from New Jersey, and damn proud of it."
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=New+Jersey
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #10888
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
I'm glad I still have my Florida plate, people realize I am an east coast driver lol.

Xusein liked this post
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 01:49 PM   #10889
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Well, Portland doesn't agree with you. I follow a dashcammer there and on interstates/highways it's pretty much 10-15 over as the standard.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #10890
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Well, Portland doesn't agree with you. I follow a dashcammer there and on interstates/highways it's pretty much 10-15 over as the standard.
Some sections flow at 10-15 mph over the speed limit when the traffic flows. The problem is that Portland is often highly congested due to a strong anti-car mentality among many Portland-area voters, despite the abysmal quality of the very expensive public transportation in the Portland metro area. So there has been virtually no freeway construction or capacity improvement since I-205 was built in the 1970s (the final section opened in March 1983). Portland's MAX is essential a tram (and about as slow as a tram) trying to do the job of a regional S-bahn. MAX might be the most idiotic metro rail system on the planet, resulting in extremely low ridership and most people using cars.

Kanadzie liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #10891
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Some sections flow at 10-15 mph over the speed limit when the traffic flows. The problem is that Portland is often highly congested due to a strong anti-car mentality among many Portland-area voters, despite the abysmal quality of the very expensive public transportation in the Portland metro area. So there has been virtually no freeway construction or capacity improvement since I-205 was built in the 1970s (the final section opened in March 1983). Portland's MAX is essential a tram (and about as slow as a tram) trying to do the job of a regional S-bahn. MAX might be the most idiotic metro rail system on the planet, resulting in extremely low ridership and most people using cars.
So everyone drivers and they hate good road infrastructure and don't fund decent PT. Interesting.
Old October 20th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #10892
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Portland is different. They advocate smart growth, but in reality it's not very different from other metropolitan areas in the United States, with mostly detached housing like anywhere else. Except that Portland's congestion grew dramatically since the 1980s, from one of the least to one of the most congested metro areas based on TTI rankings. It is a little more bicycle friendly than most other cities though.
Old October 20th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #10893
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I'm glad I still have my Florida plate, people realize I am an east coast driver lol.
Florida plates have a horrible reputation up here, sorry. If a driver is doing something odd, chances are they have florida plates. (the most common is probably blowing past open streetcar doors as people get on and off, creating multiple near hits with pedestrians)
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 02:03 AM   #10894
Kanadzie

the streetcar door thing isn't very logical though, at least in a Northamerican perspective it seems unique. I never went past one but when I first drove in Toronto I was wondering WTF the people were all stopped for.
Old October 21st, 2015, 06:06 AM   #10895
Xusein

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Portland? I'm talking about Seattle, different city. Even when the freeways are moving well, most people are driving barely above the speed limit.

Maybe it's a Washington thing, dunno.
Old October 21st, 2015, 03:33 PM   #10896
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Portland? I'm talking about Seattle, different city. Even when the freeways are moving well, most people are driving barely above the speed limit.
You were comparing westcoast & eastcoast. Last time I checked Portland was westcoast just like Seattle
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:16 AM   #10897
Xusein

Okay, so I will make less confusions in the future: People in Seattle, WA generally drive less aggressively than people at my old city Hartford, CT.

So now people know I am not discussing California or Oregon! Or comparing them to Boston or New York! Just to be clear.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:49 PM   #10898
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-235, Wichita, Kansas

A groundbreaking ceremony was held yesterday to mark the beginning of the reconstruction of the I-235 / US 54-400 interchange in western Wichita.

The current interchange is a cloverleaf with no C/D lanes along either I-235 or US 54-400. It will be reconstructed with direct connectors, converting the configuration to a cloverstack. It is planned to be completed by June 2019.

Project website: http://www.235kelloggcentral.com/

render:
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:56 PM   #10899
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

I have seen people do 35 mph on a completely empty I-5 IMO, they should be penalized for that.

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:24 AM   #10900
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

It's entirely possible that they are having some sort of difficulties. Don't be so harsh.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban