daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:45 AM   #10901
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Florida plates have a horrible reputation up here, sorry. If a driver is doing something odd, chances are they have florida plates. (the most common is probably blowing past open streetcar doors as people get on and off, creating multiple near hits with pedestrians)
Ontario plates have a terrible reputation in Florida too lol. But no Florida drivers are among the worst in the US. They give a license to anyone with a pulse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Well, Portland doesn't agree with you. I follow a dashcammer there and on interstates/highways it's pretty much 10-15 over as the standard.
Portland in Oregon? Nearly everyone there drives below the speed limit. I have never driven in state where people drive so slow like in Oregon. In Seattle if traffic allows people generally do the speed limit. However they fail at merging, leave massive gaps between cars, and brake for any change on the road. I call it the "west coast chill". I get very annoyed when idiots here leave a 5+ car gap in traffic, especially in the left lane.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #10902
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
It's entirely possible that they are having some sort of difficulties. Don't be so harsh.
if they have difficulties, that is why there is an emergency lane.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #10903
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Portland in Oregon? Nearly everyone there drives below the speed limit. I have never driven in state where people drive so slow like in Oregon. In Seattle if traffic allows people generally do the speed limit. However they fail at merging, leave massive gaps between cars, and brake for any change on the road. I call it the "west coast chill". I get very annoyed when idiots here leave a 5+ car gap in traffic, especially in the left lane.
I agree. The one place that is worse than Seattle is Portland. Actually the entire I-5 in Oregon is very slow.

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 04:18 AM   #10904
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
I blame this on the bad traffic and geography. The traffic accustoms people to assume that things will get bad the second it slows down, so they slow down in anticipation for the actual event. But when nothing is actually found, people go back up to the speed limit.

As for the geography, the Seattle area has a lot of hills and the highways have a lot of curves. Plenty of blind spots. Very common that you go up a hill and find yourself suddenly in the middle of traffic when you go down it. I-405 north between Renton and Bellevue is notorious for this (worst highway in the region BTW).

One good thing though is drivers are pretty polite, rarely will someone cut you off here.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 08:07 PM   #10905
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I-65 John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge, Louisville, KY

The new John F. Kennedy Memorial Bridge (Interstate 65) across the Ohio River will open before Christmas.

Current status:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zaphod, 8166UY, jchernin, LAYiddo, AlexisMD and 1 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 12:25 AM   #10906
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

^ Cool bridge. Are they expanding the highway or replacing the old bridge?
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #10907
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
^ Cool bridge. Are they expanding the highway or replacing the old bridge?
They are expanding. Each bridge will be one way after the new one is complete.

jchernin liked this post
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #10908
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
I blame this on the bad traffic and geography. The traffic accustoms people to assume that things will get bad the second it slows down, so they slow down in anticipation for the actual event. But when nothing is actually found, people go back up to the speed limit.

As for the geography, the Seattle area has a lot of hills and the highways have a lot of curves. Plenty of blind spots. Very common that you go up a hill and find yourself suddenly in the middle of traffic when you go down it. I-405 north between Renton and Bellevue is notorious for this (worst highway in the region BTW).

One good thing though is drivers are pretty polite, rarely will someone cut you off here.
That is true, you put your signal on and people actually let you in!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #10909
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Found this from a local urban blog.

Buffaboy, jchernin, keokiracer liked this post
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #10910
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post

Found this from a local urban blog.
Coincidentally I was browsing around a road forum and found a similar website with plans, here they are:

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/DC_Interstate_Fwy.html
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #10911
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Designed back in the days when suburbs had no employment or retail and you had to get to downtown for everything.

Today the typical pattern is 10-20% downtown job share, 90-80% suburban job share in a metropolitan area. In Phoenix even less than 2% of metropolitan employment is in the downtown area. This has reduced the need for huge freeway systems around downtown areas. For example in Dallas, 80% of traffic on I-35E at Downtown is through traffic.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Buffaboy liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #10912
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Some of those roads would be good though, at least the inner ring and some of the radial routes

Driving in the DC suburbs area (e.g. I-495) is unacceptably horrible (New York City gets the excuse of at least being really large)
Old October 30th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #10913
DCUrbanist

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Some of those roads would be good though, at least the inner ring and some of the radial routes

Driving in the DC suburbs area (e.g. I-495) is unacceptably horrible (New York City gets the excuse of at least being really large)
Ironically, there wouldn't be much left to see had those inner rings and radial routes been built. Imagine a freeway having demolished half of Dupont Circle. Or most of Silver Spring. Or cutting through Cleveland Park. Between the noise, pollution, traffic, barriers, and resultant parking lots, the freeways would have likely kept some of the area's most vibrant neighborhoods now from ever becoming vibrant in the first place.

jchernin liked this post
DCUrbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #10914
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Speaking of I-35 in Dallas, an update of the Horseshoe Project:

FM 2258, Nexis liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #10915
Dijk.

Likes (Received): 490

woooow what a mess
i hope it will turn out good after all
0095914 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 01:53 AM   #10916
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCUrbanist View Post
Ironically, there wouldn't be much left to see had those inner rings and radial routes been built. Imagine a freeway having demolished half of Dupont Circle. Or most of Silver Spring. Or cutting through Cleveland Park. Between the noise, pollution, traffic, barriers, and resultant parking lots, the freeways would have likely kept some of the area's most vibrant neighborhoods now from ever becoming vibrant in the first place.
Well sure, they wanted to build highways through the crappy areas because they were cheaply expropriated, and now it has been long enough the crappy areas have gentrified.
Certainly the growth and development would have just occurred elsewhere...
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:09 AM   #10917
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
They are expanding. Each bridge will be one way after the new one is complete.
How many lanes will each bridge have?
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 03:00 AM   #10918
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
How many lanes will each bridge have?
After the completion of the project each bridge will carry six lanes. There is obviously also a huge amount of reconfigured approaches being built. Additionally there is a second bridge and ~1.5 miles of highway (including a tunnel) which will carry two lanes each way to connect the two sections of I-265 currently divided by the Ohio River.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:37 AM   #10919
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0095914 View Post
woooow what a mess
i hope it will turn out good after all
It will turn out better than anything in the netherlands
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 05:02 AM   #10920
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

What's the timetable on completing I-11? Some sections from Kingman to Wickenburg are being upgraded to Interstate status, but I don't know about what the plan is around Wickenburg and south towards Glendale and Phoenix. There's also a lot of cross-roads from Kingman to Boulder City that need to be changed into interchanges.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban