daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2015, 12:59 AM   #10941
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
An update of the massive North Tarrant Express project along I-35W in Fort Worth.

There needs to be more public and private sector collaboration on these kinds of projects like this, so the public sector can regulate a little and help with incentives while the private sector moves them along at a quicker clip.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #10942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-435, Kansas City, KS

A recent photo of the I-435 expansion in suburban Kansas City (Kansas side) between the K-10 and I-35 interchanges, looking east. There will be 15 freeway lanes here.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #10943
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

There are finally signs of construction - a couple of miles of new barriers and orange signs - on 95 where it crosses the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #10944
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 69, Kentucky

Governor Beshear Unveils New Red, White, Blue Highway Signs for Another 42 Miles of I-69 in Western Kentucky

Gov. Steve Beshear, backed by federal highway officials and dozens of state and local leaders, today unveiled a shiny red, white and blue highway sign marking the long-sought designation of Interstate 69 for a section of the Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway.

When complete, the I-69 corridor will run north to south from the Ohio River at Henderson to the Tennessee line at Fulton – approximately 155 miles. In addition to the Pennyrile Parkway, the corridor includes sections of I-24, the Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway and the Julian M. Carroll Purchase Parkway.

The new I-69 designation applies to the northern leg of the Pennyrile Parkway – a 42.6-mile section from the Wendell H. Ford Western Kentucky Parkway to KY 425, south of Henderson. The FHWA conditionally approved its inclusion in the Interstate Highway System in August on the basis of improvements undertaken by the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet to bring it up to acceptable interstate standards.

Completion of the entire I-69 corridor in western Kentucky still requires improvements to approximately 52 miles of the Purchase Parkway from Fulton to Calvert City, a 1-mile section of roadway connecting Fulton to Mayfield and a 5-mile section from Henderson to the Indiana state line. No construction timeline has been announced for those sections.

The largest single challenge of the I-69 project has been reconstruction of interchanges built with short, tight ramps for traffic stopping at toll booths. With reconstruction, those interchanges will have the longer ramps and merge lanes needed for traffic entering and exiting 70 mph interstate traffic.
Full press release: http://kentucky.gov/Pages/Activity-S...e=PressRelease

The real 'largest single challenge' of the I-69 project would be of course to construct a large new bridge across the Ohio River.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

NFZANMNIM liked this post
Old November 16th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #10945
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There are finally signs of construction - a couple of miles of new barriers and orange signs - on 95 where it crosses the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
For the new interchange there?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 10:20 PM   #10946
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I assume so.

There have been media reports in the last few months that it's starting. Work on the Turnpike started some time ago. I saw a step-by-step timeline of the whole project somewhere.

Can't actually see what's going on on 95, though, because of the barriers. I'm through there a couple of times a month on 95; haven't been on that piece of the Turnpike in eons.

EDIT: Here's what's going on, I think:

https://www.patpconstruction.com/pat...ectiond20.aspx

I was through there last night.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; November 16th, 2015 at 10:27 PM.
Old November 17th, 2015, 07:33 AM   #10947
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
New I-95/I-276 interchange connection construction in eastern Pennsylvania, pic by me;

You must have missed this pic by me back in June Penn's Woods...

Penn's Woods liked this post
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #10948
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Haven't been here much...

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:07 PM   #10949
ChrisZwolle
Road user

diverging diamond interchange

A number of new DDIs opened this month. The interchange's popularity is really picking up now.

Iowa
The state's first DDI opens to traffic along I-80 and Grand Prairie Parkway just west of Des Moines on December 1st. It is a brand new interchange, not a reconstruction. The overpass was already finished for some time.

Texas
A DDI opened on November 20th. along I-35 and RM 1431 in Round Rock, a northern suburb of Austin. DDIs are less ideal in Texas because without bypasses, the frontage roads would become non-continuous. In this case, bypasses were constructed for the frontage road.s

Indiana
Indiana's second DDI was inaugurated on November 23 in Greenwood, a southern suburb of Indianapolis. It is a new interchange.

Missouri
In the birthplace of the American DDI, in Springfield, Missouri, a new DDI was finished along US 65. It was already opened since February, even when construction was still ongoing. It was completed recently.

Michigan
Michigan's first DDI opened on November 10 in Auburn Hills, a northern suburb of Detroit. It is located along I-75.

New Mexico
New Mexico also started construction on its first DDI along I-25 in Santa Fe.

Florida
Florida's first DDI is under construction in Sarasota. With 5 through lanes in each direction, it is also the biggest DDI in the U.S.

Illinois
A new DDI opened to traffic on September 21 in Naperville, a western suburb of Chicago. It is located along I-88.
Old November 25th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #10950
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

The worst traffic bottlenecks in the U.S., according to the American Highway Users Alliance: http://www.highways.org/2015/11/unclogging-study2015/

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

jchernin liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #10951
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

No wonder Chicago's at the top. There really should be a highway that bypasses that point. Probably in place of Cicero Ave. That obviously can never happen in this day and age.
Old November 25th, 2015, 09:20 PM   #10952
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95/395 express lanes

http://www.virginiadot.org/newsroom/...major88511.asp

Some news regarding the North Virginia express lanes.

The I-95 express lanes will be extended south by 2 miles to past the Garrisonville Road interchange. That way traffic using the express lanes and wishing to continue / coming from I-95 doesn't have to weave with traffic exiting or entering from Garrisonville Road anymore.

Currently southbound traffic on the express lanes that wishes to continue on I-95 enters the general purpose lanes from the right, meaning they have to weave with traffic exiting to Garrisonvile Road. This is a high volume exit.
Also, northbound traffic from Garrisonville Road to the express lanes has to cross three general purpose lanes to enter the northbound express lanes.

This appears to be somewhat of a design flaw, perhaps they did not anticipate this much weaving. The Garrisonvile Road interchange serves the southernmost suburbs of Washington with lots of residential and commercial developments.

25 miles to the north, the existing I-395 reversible HOV lanes will be widened from two to three lanes, effectively extending the express lanes all the way from Aquia to the D.C. line.

Construction on the I-95 express lane extension will start in 2016, and construction on the I-395 express lanes will start in 2017.
Old November 25th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #10953
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-65, Louisville, KY

Paving has started on the new I-65 Ohio River Bridge in Louisville, Kentucky. The new bridge will open to traffic next month.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

brewerfan386, prageethSL liked this post
Old November 26th, 2015, 12:27 AM   #10954
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
No wonder Chicago's at the top. There really should be a highway that bypasses that point. Probably in place of Cicero Ave. That obviously can never happen in this day and age.
As the cost of TBMs continues to come down, it will make sense to bypass that whole stretch with a 2x3 bypass for through traffic inside a 20 meter diameter tunnel. It could be tolled to pay for the construction costs.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 01:27 AM   #10955
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
The thing about Chicago is Lake Michigan. All sorts of trajectories - Grand Rapids or Milwaukee, say; or Toronto to Minneapolis - that would pass well north of Chicago if the lake weren't there have to go through it. Would a freeway across upper Michigan be a totally insane idea? You could convert the Trans-Canada into freeway from Carleton Place to Sault Saint Marie, jump across to Michigan, then head west to the Twin Cities....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 26th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #10956
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
As the cost of TBMs continues to come down, it will make sense to bypass that whole stretch with a 2x3 bypass for through traffic inside a 20 meter diameter tunnel. It could be tolled to pay for the construction costs.
Coming from a city that's building a bypass with a TBM that large: You don't want that.

If you're going to build, use smaller tunnels, separated for each direction. Even then, it won't work out to being in the black by a long shot.
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #10957
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
Coming from a city that's building a bypass with a TBM that large: You don't want that.

If you're going to build, use smaller tunnels, separated for each direction. Even then, it won't work out to being in the black by a long shot.
Actually, you really do want one large tunnel. It was not Bertha's fault that no one moved a pipe out of her way. The Orlovski Tunnel in St Petersburg, Russia, is being bored with a TBM bigger than Bertha and it's going fine. TBM technology is continuing to improve.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:57 AM   #10958
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Actually, you really do want one large tunnel. It was not Bertha's fault that no one moved a pipe out of her way. The Orlovski Tunnel in St Petersburg, Russia, is being bored with a TBM bigger than Bertha and it's going fine. TBM technology is continuing to improve.
A boring machine should have been designed to be able to handle a pipe. Especially in a city like Seattle where that area of downtown is built on filled land, there may be all sorts of debris down there. BERTHA was also built to be re-used again unlike most boring machines where they just drive off the path and leave it below. Incompetence and greed, big reason why many big US infrastructure projects go over cost and behind schedule.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #10959
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post

As much as tunnels will be in demand in the coming years, I should get a PhD in tunnel-boring efficiency.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #10960
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The astronomical cost of some west coast and east coast projects could turn the tide of public opinion against large bridge and tunnel projects. Just look at the cost of the infamous 'Big Dig' in Boston, the bridges in New York or the east span of the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge.

However in the U.S. Heartland, such projects are much cheaper. What Texas build at relatively low cost is just mind-boggling compared to the northeast or west coast.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban