daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #10961
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

Just drove from Toronto to Philadelphia and went basically via I380, I86, I81, & I476. Any plans for a corridor in this region? Coming from Philly or NYC the route is fairly direct to Scranton, after that there is no direct route.

Buffaboy liked this post
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #10962
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The astronomical cost of some west coast and east coast projects could turn the tide of public opinion against large bridge and tunnel projects. Just look at the cost of the infamous 'Big Dig' in Boston, the bridges in New York or the east span of the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge.

However in the U.S. Heartland, such projects are much cheaper. What Texas build at relatively low cost is just mind-boggling compared to the northeast or west coast.
As you say, it's simply no comparison between the coasts and the rest of the country. The liberal coastal states all have much more complex regulations and much stronger unions both of which drive costs to astronomical levels.

mcarling liked this post
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #10963
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
Just drove from Toronto to Philadelphia and went basically via I380, I86, I81, & I476. Any plans for a corridor in this region? Coming from Philly or NYC the route is fairly direct to Scranton, after that there is no direct route.
I-99 is probably the most likely option to occur in the near future. In general, Continental 1 isn't getting anywhere off the ground, so North-south travel from Buffalo will remain limited.

Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 02:55 AM   #10964
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
I used US-219 to Buffalo for that connection, one time to I-81 and the other time further down... I-81 is impressively open, you can probably go faster for longer on that PA I-81 than on any Autobahn... I thought 219 was pretty decent or at least it didn't bother me that much, and approaching Buffalo the road was rebuilt recently to a motorway. But it seems relatively windy and there is a lack of passing opportunities.
Old November 28th, 2015, 03:28 AM   #10965
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I used US-219 to Buffalo for that connection, one time to I-81 and the other time further down... I-81 is impressively open, you can probably go faster for longer on that PA I-81 than on any Autobahn... I thought 219 was pretty decent or at least it didn't bother me that much, and approaching Buffalo the road was rebuilt recently to a motorway. But it seems relatively windy and there is a lack of passing opportunities.
I-81 is wide open all the way to Tennessee.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #10966
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

I drive from Delaware to Buffalo every year, having done it since I was a kid. Easily the best way from Delaware is to head around Lancaster and Harrisburg, then take US 15 up through Williamsport to Corning, and then taking I-86 to I-390, and then taking US 20A to East Aurora.

Philly is slightly different, and nothing is too direct. You got much of it right. Both the Pennsylvania Turnpike (in your case, Harrisburg to Philadelphia) or the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension are prone to standstill traffic jams because both lanes in one direction can get clogged up from an accident. To me, the best route without using any of the PA Turnpike roads, and/or the best free route, is probably to take US 15 down to Harrisburg, then take PA 283 to Lancaster, and then take US 30 east. It's a surface road going through some suburbia and then being the major arterial in some farmland, all for almost 20 miles, but then it becomes an expressway near West Chester, and goes past King of Prussia to Norristown.

The PA Turnpike from Harrisburg to Philadelphia is more direct than going down to Lancaster and east to West Chester, though, and I think it's a little cheaper than the Northeast Extension in its entirety from Scranton.

Penn's Woods liked this post
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #10967
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I drive from Delaware to Buffalo every year, having done it since I was a kid. Easily the best way from Delaware is to head around Lancaster and Harrisburg, then take US 15 up through Williamsport to Corning, and then taking I-86 to I-390, and then taking US 20A to East Aurora.

Philly is slightly different, and nothing is too direct. You got much of it right. Both the Pennsylvania Turnpike (in your case, Harrisburg to Philadelphia) or the PA Turnpike Northeast Extension are prone to standstill traffic jams because both lanes in one direction can get clogged up from an accident. To me, the best route without using any of the PA Turnpike roads, and/or the best free route, is probably to take US 15 down to Harrisburg, then take PA 283 to Lancaster, and then take US 30 east. It's a surface road going through some suburbia and then being the major arterial in some farmland, all for almost 20 miles, but then it becomes an expressway near West Chester, and goes past King of Prussia to Norristown.

The PA Turnpike from Harrisburg to Philadelphia is more direct than going down to Lancaster and east to West Chester, though, and I think it's a little cheaper than the Northeast Extension in its entirety from Scranton.

Ideally I would actually make I-86 go to East Aurora via this plan I created.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #10968
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

Quote:
The astronomical cost of some west coast and east coast projects could turn the tide of public opinion against large bridge and tunnel projects. Just look at the cost of the infamous 'Big Dig' in Boston, the bridges in New York or the east span of the San Francisco - Oakland Bay Bridge.

However in the U.S. Heartland, such projects are much cheaper. What Texas build at relatively low cost is just mind-boggling compared to the northeast or west coast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
As you say, it's simply no comparison between the coasts and the rest of the country. The liberal coastal states all have much more complex regulations and much stronger unions both of which drive costs to astronomical levels.
A lot less natural barriers too. Texas is mostly flat and has plenty of land to spare, not so much in Seattle where land is at a premium. Frankly I think a major problem in this area is that it was simply not designed to be as big as it ended up becoming.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #10969
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19418

New Detroit River's bridge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Howe Bridge could be one of 5 longest in North America

Quote:
The planned Gordie Howe International Bridge that will span the Detroit River to Windsor could end up as the tallest or second-tallest structure in the region, rivaling the height of the Renaissance Center and creating a dramatic new architectural icon on the skyline.

There are two possible designs — a suspension bridge like the Ambassador or a newer model known as a cable-stayed bridge that looks like a giant A-frame with cables fanning out from two towers. Final design will be left to the architectural team that has the winning bid from a group of interested international firms already winnowed down to six. The winning team will be selected late next year.

New design details are emerging that show the two bridge towers rising to a height of up to 250 meters, or about 750 feet. The bridge deck itself that will carry traffic could rise 150 feet above the river to allow for clear ship navigation — about as high as downtown Detroit's One Campus Martius building, the former Compuware headquarters.

The total length of the bridge and its approaches will be about 2 miles, making it one of the five longest bridges in North América.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...idge/76303382/
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #10970
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I-99 is probably the most likely option to occur in the near future. In general, Continental 1 isn't getting anywhere off the ground, so North-south travel from Buffalo will remain limited.

Having done that earlier this year, I think that the biggest need is actually for a highwway between Batavia and Geneseo, NY here. The current Southern Tier alignment isn't too bad, and with US-15 being apparently re-signed I-99 you can go I-99 - I-180 - I-80 back to the Northeast Extension at Hickory Run, but it just seems really strange to me that there is no direct route between Buffalo and Corning -- right now you have to go out of your way to freaking Rochester instead.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #10971
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The height of the Gordie Howe International Bridge is dependent on the chosen design. A cable-stayed bridge requires taller towers for the same span than a suspension bridge. The main span is quoted as 850 m / 2788 ft. It would be by far the longest cable-stayed bridge in the U.S. if this design is chosen. The John James Audubon Bridge in Louisiana has a main span of 482 m / 1581 ft, while the planned Corpus Christi Harbor Bridge has a main span of 504 m / 1655 ft. In fact, it would be among the top 10 longest cable-stayed bridges in the world, similar to the Pont de Normandie in France.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:56 PM   #10972
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
I-81 is wide open all the way to Tennessee.
That Harrisburg (Pa.)-to-Winchester (Va.) stretch can be very busy with trucks. So much so that the last time I was on it on a Sunday I found myself thinking a German-style Sunday truck ban would be welcome.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #10973
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
That Harrisburg (Pa.)-to-Winchester (Va.) stretch can be very busy with trucks. So much so that the last time I was on it on a Sunday I found myself thinking a German-style Sunday truck ban would be welcome.
Makes sense that I-81 was a little heavy through that area. Anyone going from New England/New York/New Jersey to the inland southern states can use I-81 to go around the crazy traffic of I-95, the New Jersey Turnpike, the Capital Beltway around DC, etc.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:59 PM   #10974
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Of course! I'm just saying I wouldn't describe it as wide open.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #10975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-35E St Paul, MN

Two tolled lanes, called 'MnPass lanes' opened to traffic today in St. Paul, Minnesota. There is one toll lane in each direction between I-94 near downtown and I-694 in Little Canada.

The new express lanes feature dynamic tolling to keep the lane free-flow. It wasn't a cheap addition, they rebuilt the whole freeway and added a fourth lane. A section was also realigned.

There is a lot of criticism for MnDOT on Twitter today. Apparently they did not salt the roads for some snowfall. People report 3 hour commutes for what would normally take 20 minutes.
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #10976
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

How do you pronounce "MnPass"? Or "MnDOT" for that matter?

"men-pass"? "min-pass"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #10977
ChrisZwolle
Road user

From what I've heard on news reports, it's 'minn-pass' and 'minn-DOT'.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old November 30th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #10978
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-90/94 Chicago, IL

The 'Dan Ryan' in 1964. It is considered the world's first superhighway. Highway 401 in Toronto was modeled after it.

[img]http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/87226361-view-of-the-dan-ryan-expressway-northeast-***********.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXjWdieA60n58KAAGUYp2ldw9d1OOz0UuF7Rw%2FQnUUI3sFo5TpiDVkT6mPvxetE9BnRpm5dyV3hmdATKm7LiXZig%3D[/img]

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

NFZANMNIM, Luki_SL, koko_vp liked this post
Old December 1st, 2015, 02:49 AM   #10979
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
The 'Dan Ryan' in 1964. It is considered the world's first superhighway. Highway 401 in Toronto was modeled after it.

[img]http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/87226361-view-of-the-dan-ryan-expressway-northeast-***********.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXjWdieA60n58KAAGUYp2ldw9d1OOz0UuF7Rw%2FQnUUI3sFo5TpiDVkT6mPvxetE9BnRpm5dyV3hmdATKm7LiXZig%3D[/img]
Must've been quite a sight to behold back in 64.

TM_Germany liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2015, 09:10 AM   #10980
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19156

I-5 in Washington State

DSC01008
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01011
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01012
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01013
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01014
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban