daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2015, 08:03 AM   #11001
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

^I'm aware of the physics behind it. You see it in Toronto every spring, I just think its a neat phenomenon.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #11002
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
^I'm aware of the physics behind it. You see it in Toronto every spring, I just think its a neat phenomenon.
Oh ok.. Sorry lol. I agree!
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #11003
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

I-5 heading from Mount St Helens to Portland:

DSC01067
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01071
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01072
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01073
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01074
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01075
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01076
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01077
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:04 AM   #11004
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

DSC01078
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01079
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01080
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01081
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01083
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01084
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01085
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01087
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #11005
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I believe that's considered one of the most critical bridges in the Northwest. An earthquake could apparently take it out easily. There were plans to replace it, but that went nowhere.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #11006
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I broke a wrist on ice under an overpass last March....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #11007
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I believe that's considered one of the most critical bridges in the Northwest. An earthquake could apparently take it out easily. There were plans to replace it, but that went nowhere.
The Colombia River Crossing was doomed by Oregon's instance that it include an extension into Washington state of Portland's failed MAX (a small tram meant to cover S-bahn distances) which residents in Vancouver, Washington overwhelmingly do not want. That inclusion 1) drove up the cost, 2) encroached on the already tight limits of shipping clearance below and aircraft clearance above the bridge, and 3) generated opposition from Vancouver residents.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #11008
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Fun fact, both the John F. Kennedy Bridge and the new Abraham Lincoln Bridge opened to traffic on December 6. The JFK Bridge in 1963 and the Lincoln Bridge in 2015.
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #11009
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Quote:
Fun fact, both the John F. Kennedy Bridge and the new Abraham Lincoln Bridge opened to traffic on December 6. The JFK Bridge in 1963 and the Lincoln Bridge in 2015.
Another coincidence!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincol...s_urban_legend

About interstate spur routes (from the other American thread): Is it possible to have two different spurs with the same number? I. e. two different I-270.

Edit: OK, I see it's not only possible but also not uncommon at all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...state_Highways

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by Highway89; December 7th, 2015 at 07:34 PM.
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #11010
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
The Colombia River Crossing was doomed by Oregon's instance that it include an extension into Washington state of Portland's failed MAX (a small tram meant to cover S-bahn distances) which residents in Vancouver, Washington overwhelmingly do not want. That inclusion 1) drove up the cost, 2) encroached on the already tight limits of shipping clearance below and aircraft clearance above the bridge, and 3) generated opposition from Vancouver residents.

MAX is hardly failed, given its continuous expansion. And its hardly "small" either. There was some initial NIMBYism along the early lines, but that has since subsided. It is quite certain that that would have happened here. Alas, people can be very short-sighted.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 08:51 PM   #11011
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The criticism I've read is that Portland has spent billions on light rail without improving the modal share of transit.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

mcarling liked this post
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #11012
00Zy99

Quote:
The criticism I've read is that Portland has spent billions on light rail without improving the modal share of transit.
And I've read the exact opposite. If they weren't improving the modal share, why are all of the developments concentrating along the rail lines?
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #11013
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Apparently the number of bus users dropped by the same amount, keeping the modal share more or less level.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

mcarling liked this post
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:24 PM   #11014
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Apparently the number of bus users dropped by the same amount, keeping the modal share more or less level.
Keep in mind that the core bus network's frequency was reduced as an effect of the Great Recession ... This change in frequency (from 15 min to 20 min) is not insignificant for transit users: it's the difference between being okay with just going to a stop and waiting and getting frustrated when a bus is nowhere to be found.

You're arguing about apples and oranges when the issue at hand was caused by a cantaloupe!

Penn's Woods liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #11015
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Keep in mind that the core bus network's frequency was reduced as an effect of the Great Recession ... This change in frequency (from 15 min to 20 min) is not insignificant for transit users: it's the difference between being okay with just going to a stop and waiting and getting frustrated when a bus is nowhere to be found.

You're arguing about apples and oranges when the issue at hand was caused by a cantaloupe!
Also note that some of these service cuts are being reversed now for precisely this reason.

Furthermore, it's worthwhile to note that you have to pay attention to the source of your information because everybody (even that algae in your neighbor's swimming pool) has an agenda and some sources may be biased *cough*Reason, Heritage, Cato*cough*.

Penn's Woods, hammersklavier liked this post
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #11016
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't understand why U.S. transportation statistics focus so much on commuting. Travel to and from work is only a portion of all travel, typically around a quarter all miles traveled, but between 15 and 20 percent of all trips.
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #11017
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

MAX is hardly a failure, though it could have been planned much better (room for 4-car trains, concrete plans for a downtown tunnel to avoid running in the streets, etc.). Vancouver made a huge mistake by rejecting an easy buy-in into a fairly robust light rail system at very little cost to them.

Hopefully a second iteration of the CRC is proposed soon. To avoid the mistakes of the first, I'd build it with the same number of general-purpose lanes, added HOV lane for buses, a bike trail, and most importantly additional space to eventually add light rail or other features. This is how WSDOT managed to appease Seattle's rich suburbs when replacing the SR 520 floating bridge, though they had to build some capped lids/parks first.

Quote:
I don't understand why U.S. transportation statistics focus so much on commuting. Travel to and from work is only a portion of all travel, typically around a quarter all miles traveled, but between 15 and 20 percent of all trips.
Because the majority of longer distances are daily commutes. So it's much more noticeable than the occasional trip to the store or out in the woods.
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 10:52 PM   #11018
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Furthermore, it's worthwhile to note that you have to pay attention to the source of your information because everybody (even that algae in your neighbor's swimming pool) has an agenda and some sources may be biased *cough*Reason, Heritage, Cato*cough*.
Well...given that my source was the guy who designed the network...
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 12:55 AM   #11019
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
MAX is hardly a failure....
MAX has cost billions of dollars (not counting the cost of a brand-new firetruck it destroyed) and not shifted people from private cars to public transit. That is a failure by any standard. Spending 1/10 the money that has been spent on MAX could have instead been used to triple the bus fleet -- and with modern comfortable eco-friendly buses.

Quote:
Vancouver made a huge mistake by rejecting an easy buy-in into a fairly robust light rail system at very little cost to them.
Vancouver avoided a huge mistake by rejecting an outrageously expensive light rail system with all the disadvantages of an urban tram combined with all the disadvantages of suburban commuter rail. MAX is slow, stops are widely spaced, and runs infrequently. I'm a fan of rail, but MAX is the worst implementation I can think of anywhere on the planet.

Quote:
Hopefully a second iteration of the CRC is proposed soon.
Here we agree. The reality is that everyone is waiting until 2017, when the northbound span will be 100 years old. Then we'll see renewed calls to replace the Interstate Bridge.

Quote:
To avoid the mistakes of the first, I'd build it with ... and most importantly additional space to eventually add light rail or other features.
Space for MAX was the major mistake of the CRC and the source of all the opposition in Vancouver. It made the bridge too expensive and too tall (from the bottom of the deck to the top) so it restricted the important shipping channel below. Building the bridge higher was not an option because of the PDX flight path over the bridge. The only sane options for rail (MAX isn't sane anywhere) are to either put it in a tunnel or move it farther west where the flight path is not a constraint.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #11020
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
I think PT is pretty limited for non-commuting trips. I mean who would go grocery shopping on PT if you own a car.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban