daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #11061
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Missouri has a 'Barrel Bob' (not a barrel bomb)
Yes, now I remember. I saw him couple of years ago somewhere near Springfield.

EDIT:
I even took a photo on the rest area:

DSC07475
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #11062
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I-376 Pittsburgh, PA

This bridge is finally being demolished. It spans I-376 in Pittsburgh. They built a bridge structure underneath it to protect motorists from falling debris.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #11063
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
This bridge is finally being demolished. ... They built a bridge structure underneath it to protect motorists from falling debris.
Interesting. It seems to me that in most places, such demolition work is done at night with the road below closed. Much less expensive than building a temporary bridge structure underneath. Is this sort of temporary protective structure used elsewhere?

Maybe because of the height of the bridge, the debris would have damaged the road itself? keokiracer answered this question as I was adding it. Thanks keokiracer!

Last edited by mcarling; December 14th, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #11064
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

The temporary bridge wasn't built because of the demolishing of the bridge, it was built because the bridge was literally crumbling onto the road beneath. And instead of demolishing the bridge immediately they built a bridge underneath the bridge to catch falling debris...

Efficiency!
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #11065
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Indeed. I don't know when the bridge-under-the-bridge was built, but Google Earth shows it in its imagery as far back as 2004!
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #11066
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Are they going to replace it?
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:55 PM   #11067
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

I recently read a novel about a spy story set in the early Cold War era (1948).
At one point it mentions a police chasing along the Interstate 95 between New York and Washington.
How is this possible? AFAIK the Insterstate system was introduced during Eisenhower presidency, in the late 1950s. Is this a hystorical inaccuracy due to poor research by the writer or that freeway already existed in 1948, maybe not called interstate 95?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #11068
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I recently read a novel about a spy story set in the early Cold War era (1948).
At one point it mentions a police chasing along the Interstate 95 between New York and Washington.
How is this possible? AFAIK the Insterstate system was introduced during Eisenhower presidency, in the late 1950s. Is this a hystorical inaccuracy due to poor research by the writer or that freeway already existed in 1948, maybe not called interstate 95?
It's an inaccuracy. It's an interesting one, though, in that in attempting to fix it you learn a lot about some of the US' oldest highways.

While there was no direct highway between DC and NY immediately after WWII, plans were already afoot for one. In fact, the end-to-end mainlines of the Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey Turnpike predate the Interstate Highway Act entirely in conception.

The NJ Turnpike's mainline was built 1950-53 and is tied for the oldest part of the highway system (note that it bypasses Philadelphia completely). Its completion was soon followed by that of the Delaware Memorial Bridge's first span; both of these predate Interstate designation.

At the time of the Act, the Delaware Turnpike (from the DE Memorial Br to the MD state line) was being planned; the decision was made to designate it I-95. Note, however, that I-95 deviates from this mainline between Christina and Trenton (it would have been extended along its own alignment up to New York). One suspects that this is due to a fair amount of pressure from Pennsylvania's representatives, to make sure Philly wasn't bypassed completely.

The Baltimore-Washington Parkway (mostly maintained by the NPS), built between 1950 and 1954, ties the NJ Turnpike for the oldest segments opened, although the former was completed first. However, Maryland spent almost all of its allocated money on the Baltimore and Washington beltways, and so had no money to complete its part of the Turnpike system. Like the Delaware Turnpike, it was incorporated into the Interstates, but unlike in Delaware, it was less a matter of convenience and more a matter of the state needing to raise money to built it.

Maryland's part of the NY-DC highway wasn't built until 1962-63, a full decade after the rest of the highway had opened. Delaware's section (other than the Delaware Memorial Bridge approaches) was built at the same, largely because its main purpose was to connect to the MD Turnpike. After Kennedy's 1963 assassination, the Maryland and Delaware turnpikes were renamed the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway.

Penn's Woods, zaphod liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:21 AM   #11069
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Visit the New Jersey Section

Luki_SL liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:27 AM   #11070
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

While at Pittsburg, where the hell is "The West" ? Such a british road sign
(Britain's M1's and M6's signs all pointing to "The North" Anywhere between London and Scottland pointing northbound)
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #11071
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
While at Pittsburg, where the hell is "The West" ? Such a british road sign
(Britain's M1's and M6's signs all pointing to "The North" Anywhere between London and Scottland pointing northbound)
I kind of have a reason:

I-76 bypasses Youngstown to the south, then heads through Akron, and finally ends at I-71 in the middle of nowhere. Continuing to follow I-71 will indeed lead you to points west. "West" can therefore be read as a directional in lieu of a strong control city; the problem is that the best control city -- Cleveland -- is on I-80, which would probably require three signs on the gantry:

- I-76, Akron and points west
- I-76 to I-80, Cleveland
- I-376, Pittsburgh
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:24 AM   #11072
NFZANMNIM

I think by West they mean, beyond Cleaveland, like Toledo, Detroit, or even Chicago
Old December 15th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #11073
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Forget that, the best control city ever is other Desert Cities .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

NFZANMNIM, hammersklavier liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 06:40 PM   #11074
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
It's an inaccuracy. It's an interesting one, though, in that in attempting to fix it you learn a lot about some of the US' oldest highways.

While there was no direct highway between DC and NY immediately after WWII, plans were already afoot for one. In fact, the end-to-end mainlines of the Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey Turnpike predate the Interstate Highway Act entirely in conception.

The NJ Turnpike's mainline was built 1950-53 and is tied for the oldest part of the highway system (note that it bypasses Philadelphia completely). Its completion was soon followed by that of the Delaware Memorial Bridge's first span; both of these predate Interstate designation.

At the time of the Act, the Delaware Turnpike (from the DE Memorial Br to the MD state line) was being planned; the decision was made to designate it I-95. Note, however, that I-95 deviates from this mainline between Christina and Trenton (it would have been extended along its own alignment up to New York). One suspects that this is due to a fair amount of pressure from Pennsylvania's representatives, to make sure Philly wasn't bypassed completely.

The Baltimore-Washington Parkway (mostly maintained by the NPS), built between 1950 and 1954, ties the NJ Turnpike for the oldest segments opened, although the former was completed first. However, Maryland spent almost all of its allocated money on the Baltimore and Washington beltways, and so had no money to complete its part of the Turnpike system. Like the Delaware Turnpike, it was incorporated into the Interstates, but unlike in Delaware, it was less a matter of convenience and more a matter of the state needing to raise money to built it.

Maryland's part of the NY-DC highway wasn't built until 1962-63, a full decade after the rest of the highway had opened. Delaware's section (other than the Delaware Memorial Bridge approaches) was built at the same, largely because its main purpose was to connect to the MD Turnpike. After Kennedy's 1963 assassination, the Maryland and Delaware turnpikes were renamed the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway.
What he said.

Just to add that the reason the John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway got that name is that JFK had cut the ribbon just a week before he was killed.

But yes, there was no such thing as an "Interstate" in 1948 and would not be for nearly a decade. And little if anything in the way of freeway between New York and Washington.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; December 15th, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #11075
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFZANMNIM View Post
I think by West they mean, beyond Cleaveland, like Toledo, Detroit, or even Chicago
I take it as "Ohio and points [farther] west." It's preferable to the usual Pennsylvania practice, which would be to assume the world ends at Youngstown.

(Which reminds me, when Chrissie Hynde (sp?) of the Pretenders sang "I went back to Ohio and my city was gone," she was talking about Akron.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:08 PM   #11076
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
A roadway switch of I-85 in North Carolina (between Lexington and Thomasville). You occasionally see such a layout in case of significant altitude changes, but this area is not as hilly.

Between the two roadways are rest areas and the NC Vietnam Veterans' War Memorial. The roadways cross over so that anyone wishing to visit the memorial doesn't have to take a left exit coming or going (onto a freeway which usually sees speeds well over 80 mph).

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Penn's Woods, zaphod, ChrisZwolle liked this post
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #11077
NFZANMNIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Forget that, the best control city ever is other Desert Cities .
too good lol
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #11078
Airforceguy

Likes (Received): 37

Here are some photos I took earlier this year of highway signs in Metro Atlanta...
Atlanta Freeways by brandon walker, on Flickr

Old December 16th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #11079
NFZANMNIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Here are some photos I took earlier this year of highway signs in Metro Atlanta...

They really have it going there with the "EXIT ONLY" thing, eh

Kanadzie, jchernin liked this post
Old December 16th, 2015, 04:05 AM   #11080
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I'm liking the variable speed limit signs.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban