daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 28th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #11121
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Dallas Horseshoe Project update:

This image gives a good idea for the future freeway projects in the plans for the DFW Metroplex:

EasySeven, Luki_SL, Orion602 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #11122
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Let's not forget about the 35W corridor reconstruction in Fort Worth:

EasySeven, fredcalif, Luki_SL liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #11123
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-376 Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This bridge is finally being demolished. It spans I-376 in Pittsburgh. They built a bridge structure underneath it to protect motorists from falling debris.

And BOOM! it's gone.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ko7, Luki_SL, Orion602, stofzuiger liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:21 PM   #11124
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Tallahassee is the Florida state capital Jacksonville is the largest city proper.
Is that still true? To what extent are Miami and Dade County merged now? (Yes, I could look it up.... self-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:28 PM   #11125
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Okay, here's a sort-of-highway issue:

Weather Channel's reporting this morning on the aftermath of tornadoes that passed through suburban Dallas Saturday night. They had a reporter in an apartment complex in Garland, near I-30, that was pretty much flattened, but where everyone survived (albeit with some injuries) because there was ample warning to the public. He noted that most of the deaths in the area (at one point they were reporting 11 of them) occurred on the Interstate, among people who had no idea they were driving into a tornado.

I said to myself, how about putting specific weather warnings on VMSes? There are enough of them these days, at least in the Northeast. (More specific than just "tornado warning for Dallas County"...enough to convey a "if you're seeing this sign, you need to get off the road NOW." Although I suppose the next issue for the driver seeing such a warning is, so what do I do? Pull onto the shoulder, and get out of the car and into a ditch?)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #11126
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The problem is that traffic tends to come to a standstill in such weather, especially in a large urban area. Motorists become a sitting duck. Going in a ditch is safer than taking shelter under an overpass, which is generally considered the most dangerous. Another problem in urban areas with tornadoes is that a lot of debris become airborne as missiles, which can easily penetrate cars.
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #11127
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I heard a report about "cars being thrown around." It wasn't the same report that mentioned the deaths on the highway, so I can't say that's what caused the deaths, but I'd guess that's the case.

Also, I happened to have the Weather Channel on on Saturday evening (because I was at my mother's and wondering how a big storm coming this way was going to affect my drive back on Monday), right as the tornado was happening. They had footage from some local TV station's storm chaser car that was on an Interstate (they didn't say which)...traffic was actually quite light. Which makes sense at 8 p.m. on Saturday, December 26th.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; December 29th, 2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old December 29th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #11128
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I was once passing through a town in Maryland when I heard the civil-defense sirens going off...radio mentioned a tornado warning for the area I was in. And I realized that - coming from a part of the country where tornadoes are rare - I didn't actually know what to do.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #11129
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is that still true? To what extent are Miami and Dade County merged now? (Yes, I could look it up.... self-)
I don't understand NY in this aspect cause Albany is significantly smaller than New York. And still it is the capital. I guess it must be a bit changed because it looks a bit like the mess in the Nigeria, pardon my French. Like the capital of a region is a 1000 lesser village than the biggest city in the area.
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #11130
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

usually this is done to not have everything in 1 city or to develop some inland area (Brasil, Pakistan, Nigeria). Sometimes also because the main City is not supposed to be the capital for political reasons (Australia,Turkey).
[atomic] está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #11131
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukraroad View Post
I don't understand NY in this aspect cause Albany is significantly smaller than New York. And still it is the capital. I guess it must be a bit changed because it looks a bit like the mess in the Nigeria, pardon my French. Like the capital of a region is a 1000 lesser village than the biggest city in the area.
Do you ask strange questions, not really related to the topic, in any thread?
You do it quite often in Polish threads, often asking something basic without minimum knowledge of the background or simply ranting and using hammers complaining about something irrelevant.

Anyway.
In most of the states in the US capitals are rather small towns. Locating them in such places was often done to separate politicians from the business community so there would be less temptation of interference.
Of course in times without good communication and without thousands of lobbyists it was easier and made more sense than nowadays.

Oh, and Albany is one of the oldest European settlements in this part of America, established by the Dutch. Situation here has nothing in common with purpose built capitals like in Nigeria or Brasil.

Besides who said that capital must be in the biggest city? It all depends what functions do you want for that city. US capitals are usually just simply about state politics and not about culture or business.

I don't see problem with that.

European style centralisation is not the only model.

Last edited by geogregor; December 29th, 2015 at 09:06 PM.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #11132
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Quite a few of the former British colonies moved their capitals inland in the decades after the Revolution. In part, this was in anticipation that inland areas would grow so inland capitals would be more centrally located. And there was a bit of a cultural suspicion of big cities (Jefferson talks about rural life as more virtuous...), not that any American city was all that big by modern standards.

And not just the ex-British colonies, but newer, 19th-century states often chose central locations rather than population centers...and the population was in such flux that people didn't know where the population centers would be. Chicago barely existed, if it existed at all, when Illinois became a state; that's just one example.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:39 PM   #11133
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
And not just the ex-British colonies, but newer, 19th-century states often chose central locations rather than population centers...and the population was in such flux that people didn't know where the population centers would be. Chicago barely existed, if it existed at all, when Illinois became a state; that's just one example.
This, basically. Springfield was one of the "larger" settlements in Illinois when it was chosen as capitol.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2015, 09:43 PM   #11134
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep, even odd Juneau was actually bigger than Anchorage in the early 20th century.
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:22 PM   #11135
sotonsi

Albany is also geographically central (ish) - the main north-south and east-west corridors meet there. Often state capitals are chosen for centrality: the need for people to get there to petition the Government, etc.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:59 AM   #11136
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Interstate 76 aka the Schuylkill Expressway

DSC_0011
by Montgomery County Planning Commission, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Luki_SL, brewerfan386 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 09:43 AM   #11137
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

I hear the nickname is also the "Surekill Expressway" as well. Are any improvements planned?
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:37 AM   #11138
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I hear the nickname is also the "Surekill Expressway" as well. Are any improvements planned?
Nope.

While the whole road is a shítshow, the section in Philadelphia is practically impossible to improve without significant expense. We're talking about Big Dig or Big Bertha expensive, here. This is because the alignment heads through Fairmount Park -- which makes, say, widening or second-decking the thing a political non-starter -- and then has serious geometric deficiency that can only be solved with a de novo alignment in South Philadelphia.

That said, the section in that part of Lower Merion ought to be widened without too much difficulty: it's jammed between two cemeteries and the river. But even if it were six lanes, it wouldn't be able to handle the traffic demand.

Philadelphia's expressway network may be unfixable today due to roads that did -- or did not -- get built back in the '50s or '60s. For example: why is City Line Avenue not a fücking highway?
Quote:
Philadelphia was the capital of Pennsylvania in 1776.

That dubious honor belongs to Harrisburg today.

Few of the Northeastern states have their state capitals and largest cities in the same place. Massachusetts and Rhode Island, maybe New Hampshire and Connecticut. But for the rest of them it looks like this:
State - Capital - Largest City
Maine - Augusta - Portland
Vermont - Montpelier - Burlington
New York - Albany - New York
New Jersey - Trenton - Newark
Pennsylvania - Harrisburg - Philadelphia
Delaware - Dover - Wilmington
Maryland - Annapolis - Baltimore

If you check the rest of the states, there's a completely random distribution whether or not the state capital is the largest city. For some
Georgia - Atlanta
Wyoming - Cheyenne
Colorado - Denver

it holds true, but for others
Illinois - Springfield - Chicago
Montana - Helena - Billings
Alaska - Juneau - Anchorage

it does not.

One can argue that generally, throughout the Northeast, the state capitals were moved to a more central location. Harrisburg, Albany, Montpelier, and Augusta are all in the middle of their states.

So is Delaware, but this is a false flag: Dover was named by William Penn himself, and at the time it was established as the state capital, Wilmington hadn't developed into an important city.

Like Delaware, Maryland preserves an older economic center as its state capital. In the Tidewater era, when nearly all shipping was carried out by, well, ships, Annapolis was the major port-of-call. Baltimore had begun to grow by the Revolution, but was still relatively small; by the 1820s-ish, the two cities were on relatively even footing; what caused Baltimore's explosive growth was the rise of the railroads and the twin facts that (a) Baltimore was culturally more oriented towards the industrializing north, and (b) Baltimore's city site was just plain better for ship-to-rail transshipment; a north-south mainline would have to take a significant detour across the wide Patapsco and Severn estuaries to reach Annapolis.

Penn's Woods, Nexis liked this post

Last edited by hammersklavier; January 3rd, 2016 at 11:49 AM.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:13 PM   #11139
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Heck, look how long it took for the Vine and the Blue Route to be built.

I didn't know City Line was ever supposed to be a freeway.

But I'm glad (living near Fitler Square...) that the unnecessary South Street freeway was never built.

(And Manchester, N.H., is about three times the size of Concord. )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old January 3rd, 2016, 11:45 PM   #11140
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

I wonder if they could have built I-76 differently.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban