daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #11141
JimInJersey

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Nope.

While the whole road is a shítshow, the section in Philadelphia is practically impossible to improve without significant expense. We're talking about Big Dig or Big Bertha expensive, here. This is because the alignment heads through Fairmount Park -- which makes, say, widening or second-decking the thing a political non-starter -- and then has serious geometric deficiency that can only be solved with a de novo alignment in South Philadelphia.

That said, the section in that part of Lower Merion ought to be widened without too much difficulty: it's jammed between two cemeteries and the river. But even if it were six lanes, it wouldn't be able to handle the traffic demand.

Philadelphia's expressway network may be unfixable today due to roads that did -- or did not -- get built back in the '50s or '60s. For example: why is City Line Avenue not a fücking highway?
I remember driving on the "SureKill Distressway" as early as the early 1970s' - when it was far worse than today. Potholes, accident debris scattered along the ROADWAY (not the shoulder, but the ROADWAY), no shoulder to speak of along much of it west of City Line, etc. Long sections of it also head directly in to the AM rush hour rising sun and PM setting sun, causing sun-glare related slowdowns that I've never heard of in other cities. I remember one crazy after noon just east of the Conshohocken Curve back around 1982 when the line of traffic ahead of me suddenly flashed brake lights for a couple hundred yards, and both westbound lanes swerved right like a snake. Seconds later, a fully mounted truck tire is bouncing back at us at about 40 mph. We swerve too. Don't know where it finally stopped, probably around Roosevelt Blvd exit.

Kanadzie, zaphod liked this post
JimInJersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #11142
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInJersey View Post
....Long sections of it also head directly in to the AM rush hour rising sun and PM setting sun, causing sun-glare related slowdowns that I've never heard of in other cities....
That can happen anywhere. I used to have a commute that involved the segment of the New Jersey Turnpike between the Lincoln Tunnel and Newark Airport, driving southwest in the evenings at certain times of year....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #11143
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

I-90 in Washington state, driving eastbound from Ellensburg

DSC01207
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01208
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01209
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01211
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Approaching Columbia river

DSC01216
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01217
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01218
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01219
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

DSC01220
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

View of the crossing:

P9242455
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #11144
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

Thanks for the pictures geogregor.

I'm my 2,5 years in Oregon I managed to put a little over 110.000 miles on my lease car seeing much of the Rockies (Jasper AB to New Mexico) and most areas west of it. It's so beautiful out west.

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #11145
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBeans View Post
Thanks for the pictures geogregor.

I'm my 2,5 years in Oregon I managed to put a little over 110.000 miles on my lease car seeing much of the Rockies (Jasper AB to New Mexico) and most areas west of it. It's so beautiful out west.
Haha the west is definitely beautiful. I've put on 7,000 miles since the end of August. Thats only driving in Washington and one trip to Portland.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 04:54 AM   #11146
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Always intriguing to see the contrast with the scenery west of the Cascades. Washington is such a beautiful state.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:37 PM   #11147
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Always intriguing to see the contrast with the scenery west of the Cascades. Washington is such a beautiful state.
so are Oregon, California, Arizona and Colorado

jchernin liked this post
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #11148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The Columbia River crossing is quite spectacular, especially westbound, where you drive downhill into the valley with the bridge visible before you make a sharp turn to cross it.

The aridity of eastern Washington can be a surprise to some. Especially because the state is mainly known for its wet climate and rainforests.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

McBeans liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #11149
geogregor

There are some truly spectacular landscapes in western USA. I guess that's why I keep returning there. On top of the amazing landscapes there is also a sense of distance and emptiness.

There are some amazing landscapes in Europe (for example Alps) but apart from Scandinavia and some parts of Spain there is less sense of space. There are much more people and settlements everywhere.

Some short videos of dubious quality from my drives out there:

Old January 7th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #11150
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I agree with you geogregor, part of the reason I moved out here. The west is amazing.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:05 AM   #11151
geogregor

Drive on I-84 through Columbia River Gorge, love this road.
Old January 10th, 2016, 04:58 PM   #11152
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Drive on I-84 through Columbia River Gorge, love this road.

I must have driven through here at least 500x. :-) On my way to everywhere, as well as surfing on the gorge at Hood river, fruit loop, mt hood, lost lake, bridge of the gods, the waterfalls, eagle creek trail and what not. :-)
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #11153
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Dallas Horseshoe Project December progress update:

Old January 12th, 2016, 01:56 AM   #11154
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

Man, Dallas has got a lot of highways in the City Centre aera. And so many elevated.
smokiboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #11155
Joshua Dodd

That is one giant interchange
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 06:42 AM   #11156
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokiboy View Post
Man, Dallas has got a lot of highways in the City Centre aera. And so many elevated.
and they are planning yet another one.

I personally find the amount of highways almost comical, a cities freeway system should not be designed around a tight network of downtown expressways.

jchernin liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 06:46 AM   #11157
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10378

Like the saying goes...everything's bigger in Texas, lol.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:22 PM   #11158
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
and they are planning yet another one.

I personally find the amount of highways almost comical, a cities freeway system should not be designed around a tight network of downtown expressways.
Comical? This shows a lack of ignorance about Dallas. The reason for this major interchange is because 3 major freeways converge at this single point. And these major freeways are cross continental freeways that connects both coasts of the US as well as Mexico to Canada. There is a reason why DFW is now the official logistics capitol of the entire Western Hemisphere. This major interchange of freeways is vital to the entire Texas and United States economy. Also, the 345 elevated freeway is going to be dismantled. Additionally, Dallas' population is exploding. In ten years we are expected to go from 1.2 million to 2 million people in population. This added onto the entire DFW Metro population, which is expected to increase to 10 million or more in said time frame, which is why restructuring and building new road arteries is vital.
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #11159
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The downtown freeways were originally designed to cater to the traffic flows of the 1960s; most traffic went to and from downtown. Nowadays the far majority of traffic on I-30 and I-35E is heading for other destinations than downtown (in the 80% range). This project accommodates the changed travel patterns.

The idea was to construct the Trinity Parkway as a tolled downtown bypass. It would bypass the (formerly) busiest segment of highway in North Texas (I-35E south of the Dallas North Tollway). However, this plan seems to be in limbo, especially with all the recent flooding of the Trinity River.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #11160
Joshua Dodd

I forgot that all these freeways were built as inner city thoroughfares back in the 40s and 50s. Before 35 and 30 and 45 incorporated them.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban