daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #11221
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A new DDI in Marion, Illinois.
Very nice DDI, hopefully I can drive through one of these soon.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2016, 07:46 PM   #11222
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Montgomery Outer Loop

The first segment of the Montgomery Outer Loop (MOL) in Alabama will open to traffic tomorrow. It's a 2 mile segment between I-85 and Route 110 (Vaughn Road).

It will be numbered as I-85 when the outer loop is completed, and then the existing I-85 through Montgomery will be renumbered to I-685. However, when the outer loop is completed to I-65 remains to be seen, they don't have any funding plan.

As is evidenced on the Wikipedia page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_685

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ukraroad, Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #11223
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Strangely they haven't published the plans to build a motorway on Mars
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #11224
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

I removed that sh** out of that article. Now says the first section expected to open will be finished in Feb 2016.(not btw 2016-2200)

Penn's Woods liked this post
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #11225
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Clearview

The use of Clearview on highway signage will be discontinued:
This notice terminates the Interim Approval for Use of Clearview Font for Positive Contrast Legends on Guide Signs (IA-5), issued September 2, 2004, as authorized by Section 1A.10 of the MUTCD, and discontinues the provisional use of an alternative lettering style in traffic control device applications. The result of this termination rescinds the use of letter styles other than the FHWA Standard Alphabets on traffic control devices, except as provided otherwise in the MUTCD. Existing signs that use the provisional letter style and comply with the Interim Approval are unaffected by this action and may remain as long as they are in serviceable condition. This action does not create a mandate for the removal or installation of any sign.
https://www.federalregister.gov/arti...ol-devices-for
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #11226
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 794

US 412 Tulsa,OK

shakman liked this post
The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 01:20 AM   #11227
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
This notice terminates the Interim Approval for Use of Clearview Font for Positive Contrast Legends on Guide Signs (IA-5), issued September 2, 2004, as authorized by Section 1A.10 of the MUTCD, and discontinues the provisional use of an alternative lettering style in traffic control device applications. The result of this termination rescinds the use of letter styles other than the FHWA Standard Alphabets on traffic control devices, except as provided otherwise in the MUTCD. Existing signs that use the provisional letter style and comply with the Interim Approval are unaffected by this action and may remain as long as they are in serviceable condition. This action does not create a mandate for the removal or installation of any sign.
I'm curious how this will affect other areas that have been into Clearview.

In Quebec, Canada for example they made Clearview official and required for sign wording (the numerals on highway shields and exit gores remains FHWA, thank God) and are currently going through a long-term plan to change all signs.

Meanwhile neighboring Ontario put up a couple of signs with them (notably on the Toronto-bound QEW approaching the Burlington Skyway) but gave up immediately after... though Toronto seems to have gone to it exclusively on the Gardiner...
Old January 26th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #11228
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Thank God! I really hate clearview....could never get used to it. Bring back the old green and button copy!
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:04 AM   #11229
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Ask Atlanta how not building highways is preventing it from sprawling out.
If this sprawl if from subdivisions, the developers know exactly where and have influence over what highways are built. They aren't just going to build without this type of planning and knowledge.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #11230
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Texas

TxDOT Unveils Initial $1.3 Billion to Address Congestion

Full press release: http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-...s/03-2016.html

Project list:

The funding is meant for shovel-ready projects, so most will start soon. Some projects are condensed into one phase instead of multiple phases, while other planned projects will be expedited. It also includes funding for projects that were originally planned as a toll facility (US 281, I-35E/US 67).

It includes $ 100 million for collector lanes along I-35E at downtown Dallas, $ 264 million for the Dallas Gateway project, $ 61 million for collector lanes along SH 121 that fell out of the original DFW Connector project, $ 132 million to reconstruct the I-69/610 stack interchange in southwest Houston and $ 209 million to widen I-10 west of Houston.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, zaphod liked this post
Old January 28th, 2016, 05:59 PM   #11231
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
I personally think this is a mistake, and more indicative of general engineering resistance to change rather than any performance-based reason.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #11232
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-265 Louisville, KY

Some aerial photos of the East End Crossing project, that will complete the eastern beltway of Louisville.

Old January 30th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #11233
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Truck drivers 'dashcam' on Interstate 17 in the state of Arizona

General Maximus, FM 2258 liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #11234
General Maximus

Likes (Received): 73

You make them yourself?
General Maximus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #11235
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You make them yourself?
No, I live in the UK. I was just searching for scenic-driving videos on youtube/vimeo, and came across that one.
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 09:39 PM   #11236
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

So in addition to a cable stayed bridge, they are boring a tunnel in suburban Louisville? Interesting, wasn't aware of that. Cool project.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 01:09 AM   #11237
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
So in addition to a cable stayed bridge, they are boring a tunnel in suburban Louisville? Interesting, wasn't aware of that. Cool project.
There was some sort of absurd lawsuit that stopped them from just going over that hill so they decided it was easier to spend $100 million extra on a tunnel than to try and fight the NIMBYs in court over knocking some old house down for years. Absurd US legal system at it's best.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:02 PM   #11238
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Houston

The I-69 / I-610 interchange in Uptown Houston. As stated before, this interchange will be reconstructed in the coming years. It is the oldest four-level stack interchange in Texas, and opened to traffic in 1962.

Luki_SL, Yuri S Andrade liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2016, 02:22 AM   #11239
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

It's impressive that it was built in 1962 but has a modern right-exit setup instead of the directional design that seemed common at the time (e.g. that one in Detroit, or quasi-directional like the Turcot Interchange in Montreal (1967))
Old February 2nd, 2016, 02:55 AM   #11240
gregduh

Likes (Received): 35

Texas certainly was never afraid to pay for anything but the best freeway technology. That new setup on the 635 in Dallas is pretty wild as well.
gregduh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban