daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #11321
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakcancer View Post
Progress on Tappan Zee bridge construction, upstate NY:
People upstate consider this to be downstate.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:11 PM   #11322
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Where would you put the divide between Downstate and Upstate New York? Somewhere near Poughkeepsie? I-84? An imagerinary line that extends the northern border of Pennsylvania to the northern border of Connecticut?

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Buffaboy liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:22 PM   #11323
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Honestly I would put it right there at the Tappan Zee and 287...
Old February 13th, 2016, 10:24 PM   #11324
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-90/94 Chicago, IL

A northbound view over I-90/94 near downtown Chicago. You can see the I-290 interchange under reconstruction and the high exit density towards the Chicago Loop. The exit numbering goes up to 52H.

Old February 14th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #11325
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Where would you put the divide between Downstate and Upstate New York? Somewhere near Poughkeepsie? I-84? An imagerinary line that extends the northern border of Pennsylvania to the northern border of Connecticut?
Anything North of the Lower Hudson Valley is considered Upstate New York. So Orange , Putnam , Westchester , Dutchess , Rockland , Sullivan & Ulster counties are considered downstate along with being part of the NYC metro...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Buffaboy, nick.english.dept liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:47 AM   #11326
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 1170

For New Yorkers living in New York City pretty everything above north border of Bronx is upstate. Only Long Island is real downstate.

Kanadzie, FM 2258 liked this post
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #11327
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
Having lived upstate all my life I'd put it at around Newburgh or Poughkeepsie, yes. It could also be where MTA's influence ends, which is Poughkeepsie. Some others put it at I-84, and others in areas like Utica and points north consider the Adirondacks "Upstate," but in a political sense, "downstate" is what I mentioned earlier.
Old February 14th, 2016, 03:10 AM   #11328
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Quote:
A northbound view over I-90/94 near downtown Chicago. You can see the I-290 interchange under reconstruction and the high exit density towards the Chicago Loop. The exit numbering goes up to 52H.

That's one crazy interchange. I remember being in a tour bus a couple years ago going through it. I thought that was called the Chicago Loop.
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #11329
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

I-5 in Mission Viejo, CA

http://www.octa.net/Projects-and-Pro...d%29/?frm=7128

A freeway widening project for this section is currently undergoing environmental review. It will:
1) Add one general purpose lane in both directions (between Avery Parkway and Alicia Parkway)
2) Extend the second carpool lane in each direction (between Alicia Parkway and El Toro Road)
3) Reconstruct some interchanges
4) Construct new or reestablish auxiliary lanes
5) Convert buffer separated carpool lanes to continuous access

brewerfan386, nick.english.dept liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM   #11330
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That stretch has unbelievable traffic counts, especially for a freeway so far on the edge of a metropolitan area, it's over 40 miles to downtown Los Angeles. If you head south it's only 12 miles until you hit the county line and suburban developments ends. Yet this stretch carries between 250,000 and 350,000 vehicles per day, even with peaks up to 390,000 vehicles per day approaching the I-405 interchange.
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #11331
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Is a carpool lane the same as a HOV lane?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:19 PM   #11332
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Pretty much. HOV stands for 'High Occupancy Vehicle'. Which also includes vanpools and buses.

HOV lanes are very uncommon on European motorways. Very few facilities exist, and they are often only for buses or taxis.
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #11333
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Los Angeles HOV system

I made this map a while ago showing freeways with HOV lanes in red (it also includes some HOT lanes). As you can see the majority of the urban freeways have HOV lanes.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old February 14th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #11334
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

I like how the CA 14 (former US 6, IMO they should have retained it all the way to Santa Clarita and truncated US 395 to Bishop instead) HOV lanes go on to cross a plate boundary, a true border crossing. But that belongs to the other thread as it is not an interstate.

Indeed, HOV lanes are unknown in Europe because of a thing which in turn is unknown in the USA: Public Transport[ation] . The only HOV lanes I know in this side of the pond are on Spanish A-6 Northwest of Madrid.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #11335
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
I made this map a while ago showing freeways with HOV lanes in red (it also includes some HOT lanes). As you can see the majority of the urban freeways have HOV lanes.

at one point California had almost half of the HOV lanes in the USA
I tried to find an updated list with all the metropolitan areas but I don't think there is one.

I know in Phoenix every freeway in the metro area have HOV lanes, but it is not the same case in other metro areas, where only one or a few freeways have HOV lanes
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #11336
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
we strive to be more like Vancouver, which has a sensible transit network (despite recent failings of the administration, it still works) and elected to not build freeways and doesn't have massive traffic jams in the way that we do.
Actually, Vancouver has the 2nd worst traffic in North America behind LA. The good news is they have the amazing skytrain.

Kanadzie, I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #11337
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I-80 near Green River, WY

Source

Last edited by Suburbanist; February 15th, 2016 at 12:34 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:08 AM   #11338
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
That's one crazy interchange. I remember being in a tour bus a couple years ago going through it. I thought that was called the Chicago Loop.
Well close, it's called the circle! And good to see it being redesigned.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Buffaboy liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:10 AM   #11339
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:

I like the fact that pretty much every street has its own exit. You don't get a whole blocked lane stretching a mile because there's a red light.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #11340
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-70 Glenwood Canyon, Colorado

A rockslide has closed I-70 in both directions through the Glenwood Canyon since yesterday. There have been no injuries, but the freeway sustained damage. The detour is 203 miles long, turning a 45 minute trip into a nearly 4 hour trip.

The alternate route for westbound motorists is north on CO 131 at Wolcott to Steamboat Springs, west on US 40 to Craig, then south on CO 13 to Rifle and back to I-70.
(per the Colorado Department of Transporation)

jchernin liked this post

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban