daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #11341
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Upstate New York is everything except New York City, Long Island, and Westchester and Rockland counties.

Said as a native of the New York media market with parents who grew up in the five boroughs and a mother who used to go to Hyde Park in the summer time (and definitely considered the Poughkeepsie area upstate).

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #11342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

New wind warning signs along I-580 in Nevada.

Thirty-four new signs like this one are now in place and ready to warn and prohibit drivers of vehicles over nine feet tall if winds are dangerously high through Washoe Valley.
(Nevada Department of Transportation)

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 02:58 AM   #11343
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

Governor Jay Inslee (WA) held a press conference today outlining some changes to be made to the I-405 express toll lanes, as well as some other improvements to I-5 and incident response:

Quote:
Inslee directs changes to I-405 express toll lanes, repairs to I-5 and funding for more Incident Response Teams
February 16, 2016 - Governor Inslee’s Communications Office

Gov. Jay Inslee today announced a slate of changes to improve safety and reduce congestion along the most congested areas of I-5 and I-405 including short- and long-term fixes to the I-405 express toll lanes, the need to replace aging expansion joints on Interstate 5, and to promote additional funding for WSDOT’s incident response teams.

http://www.governor.wa.gov/news-medi...-more-incident

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

jchernin liked this post
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #11344
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Can't get enough of Los Angeles:

I-105 and I-110:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Infrastruct...nterchange_in/

Buffaboy, I-275westcoastfl, SpiderBHZ liked this post
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #11345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 169, Texas

A 'shield unveiling ceremony' has been held yesterday in Brownsville, Texas to designate the SH 550 toll road as Interstate 169.

There's so much going on in Texas... It feels like the state has as many major road projects (widenings, new freeways) as the rest of the country combined...
Old February 17th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #11346
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

If only California adopted some of the building impetus of Texas. Imagine Bay Area with several widening/tunneling projects, for instance. Or Los Angeles completing critical projects like the I-710 gap.
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #11347
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A 'shield unveiling ceremony' has been held yesterday in Brownsville, Texas to designate the SH 550 toll road as Interstate 169.

There's so much going on in Texas... It feels like the state has as many major road projects (widenings, new freeways) as the rest of the country combined...
I like the way they celebrate each 'shield unveiling ceremony'
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #11348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Having an Interstate is a big thing in the U.S. Sometimes they spend a lot of money upgrading a reasonably good functioning highway to Interstate standards. For example on the I-69 upgrade in Kentucky which mostly follows existing freeway-standard roads.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Buffaboy liked this post
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #11349
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
If only California adopted some of the building impetus of Texas. Imagine Bay Area with several widening/tunneling projects, for instance. Or Los Angeles completing critical projects like the I-710 gap.
There's a bigger chance of a highway in central London than a tunnel in San Francisco.
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #11350
sotonsi

and you are more likely to die from a lightning strike twice than see either
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #11351
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Here's your San Francisco tunnel, completed just recently

Old February 17th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #11352
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Touche!
Old February 18th, 2016, 12:38 AM   #11353
jchernin

Quote:
Here's your San Francisco tunnel, completed just recently
And not only that, but the Presidio Parkway Project actually built 2 sets of tunnels, the other ones are off the picture to the right!
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #11354
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Bay Area extends far beyond San Francisco. Projects to consider in the region:

- a 2.7 mile tunnel to connect the end of Presidio Parkway (access to Golden Gate bridge and US-101) with the terminus of the Central Freeway.

- a freeway triangle connection Brentwood-Livermore and from some point on that link to Tracy (opening up the are for development)

- extending I-580 to Freemont

- an Antioch-Vacaville link

- upgrading CA-29 up to Castilloga

- upgrading the Giloy - I-5 link
Old February 18th, 2016, 02:05 AM   #11355
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
And not only that, but the Presidio Parkway Project actually built 2 sets of tunnels, the other ones are off the picture to the right!
They're not really tunnels though. They were built above ground and then the grade raised to bury them.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #11356
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
To be fair California did have this kind of impetus in the 1960's especially, and was seeing growth in the rapid way of Texas today

Mind you that shield unveiling, LOL, it is not even anywhere someone can see it from the road And... I guess everything really is bigger in Texas.
Old February 18th, 2016, 02:16 AM   #11357
jchernin

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
They're not really tunnels though. They were built above ground and then the grade raised to bury them.
I don't want to get too off topic since this isn't an Interstate, but yes, they did raise the surrounding grade. IMO, they are definitely still tunnels though.
Old February 18th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #11358
jchernin

Quote:
Bay Area extends far beyond San Francisco. Projects to consider in the region:
Most of these projects are pipe dreams that simply can't/won't happen given the political and geographical realities.

Quote:
- a 2.7 mile tunnel to connect the end of Presidio Parkway (access to Golden Gate bridge and US-101) with the terminus of the Central Freeway.
There was a proposal to build a cut-and-cover toll freeway under Van Ness to make that connection, but it pretty much died on arrival. San Francisco is a "transit-first" city and is basically against anything that will cater to cars. People who live or have businesses along the route were also in an uproar over the potential disruptions. The only way I can see this working is if they do a bored tunnel, but we know how well that's working for Seattle! There was also a proposal to put CA-1 underground as a toll freeway, but it faced the same difficulties as US-101.

Quote:
- a freeway triangle connection Brentwood-Livermore and from some point on that link to Tracy (opening up the are for development)
The area between Brentwood and Livermore is mountainous. It is geographically impossible to build a freeway there. A connection between Brentwood and I-205 is possible, but very, very low priority.

Quote:
- extending I-580 to Freemont
Fremont is developed right up to the mountains. So there is no additional room without converting CA-238 to a freeway, which would require the removal of many many homes and businesses.

Quote:
- an Antioch-Vacaville link
This area is marshland, and very difficult and expensive to build on. It might be possible, but it wouldn't open up any land for development and again is very low priority.

Quote:
- upgrading CA-29 up to Castilloga
Building a freeway to Calistoga in the heart of one of the finest wine regions in the world is not going to happen. I could see MAYBE upgrading to an expressway, but a freeway isn't necessary and would ruin the wine industry and totally ruin the 'feel' of the area that tourists flock to. CA-12 in Napa/Solano was recently upgraded to an expressway.

Quote:
- upgrading the Giloy - I-5 link
Again, it's all mountains so difficult and expensive.

Fact is, building 'new' freeways is just about impossible here. The Bay Area is too built up and mountainous. Here are some projects I would suggest instead that are more important to the region and are more realistic, some are even on the radar of the MTC:

- Converting CA-37 between Marin Co. and Vallejo to a freeway (although this will be difficult since the area is marshland. There is talk of creating an elevated structure for this and tolling it to offset the expense).

- Upgrading CA-84 between US-101 and the Dumbarton Bridge to a freeway.

- Building another trans-bay connection between the Bay Bridge and the San Mateo Bridge. There was some talk of a "second Bay Bridge", but that has focused to a second rail (possibly BART) tube.

- Widening existing freeways. We have a lot of freeways, many just need to be widened to increase capacity. US-101 (both North and South of SF), I-580 in Marin, I-80, I-880, CA-85, CA-4... the list goes on.

Sorry for going off topic!

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by jchernin; February 18th, 2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old February 18th, 2016, 03:27 AM   #11359
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Looks like a scene out of the movie The Road.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #11360
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Having an Interstate is a big thing in the U.S. Sometimes they spend a lot of money upgrading a reasonably good functioning highway to Interstate standards. For example on the I-69 upgrade in Kentucky which mostly follows existing freeway-standard roads.
It's a way for a community to get "on the map" no pun intended.

The areas where I-69 is proposed to go through have sparse interstate highway access. Adopting it makes it easier for people from other parts of the country drive through them.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban