daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #1121
Yörch

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
I saw a special on this exact thing happening about 10 years ago on NBC Dateline. Family from California was down in the Baja and got in an accident and the dad got thrown in Jail.

http://studentsafety.ucsd.edu/mexico_tips.asp

Game. Set. MATCH.
You said it. 10 years ago there was not that tourist-friendly culture we have today.
Yörch no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #1122
Yörch

Double post.
Old September 6th, 2007, 09:51 AM   #1123
Yörch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Not knowing a local language is not such a problem. In Europe, there are dozens of language within a 1000 mile radius. You can't expect a trucker or anyone to know 25 languages. But the international business language is English, whether you like it or not. I think it's important everyone knows English.
But Europe is totally different...

Here we're talking about speaking only 2 languages (which is easier) and not 25.

Old September 6th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #1124
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoryi View Post
You said it. 10 years ago there was not that tourist-friendly culture we have today.
Did you not read the link I posted?

Mexican law allows a person to be held in jail for 72 hours without a charge being filed. The Mexican judicial system does not presume the person accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Bail exists but is often granted to Mexican citizens only.

When a car accident takes place, the driver at fault must pay damages before being released from custody.

An accident in Mexico is a felony. It is essential to obtain auto insurance which is valid in Mexico before crossing the border in a vehicle. Many San Diego county agencies offer auto insurance to motorists who will be driving in Mexico. Check your domestic auto insurance broker for the extent and type of coverage that your current policy offers.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1125
Yörch

In my state, there's a new law or disposition that says no tourist (domestic or international) will be sent to jail when involved in a transit acccident unless he or she is caught with high levels or alcohol.

Maybe that's not like it in Baja, but in Guerrero where Acapulco is located it does not work like that.
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1126
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Did you not read the link I posted?

Mexican law allows a person to be held in jail for 72 hours without a charge being filed. The Mexican judicial system does not presume the person accused of a crime is innocent until proven guilty. Bail exists but is often granted to Mexican citizens only.

When a car accident takes place, the driver at fault must pay damages before being released from custody.

An accident in Mexico is a felony. It is essential to obtain auto insurance which is valid in Mexico before crossing the border in a vehicle. Many San Diego county agencies offer auto insurance to motorists who will be driving in Mexico. Check your domestic auto insurance broker for the extent and type of coverage that your current policy offers.
In the US is the opposite, you are inocent until proven guilty..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1127
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Not knowing a local language is not such a problem. In Europe, there are dozens of language within a 1000 mile radius. You can't expect a trucker or anyone to know 25 languages. But the international business language is English, whether you like it or not. I think it's important everyone knows English.
Again, that's Europe not North America, Spanish is easier than most languages..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #1128
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Small CIty???

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #1129
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1330

Earthquakes + poor maintainance = California
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #1130
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
In the US is the opposite, you are inocent until proven guilty..
Have Saddam built WMD's? I'd rephrase that sentence.
Its very sad that the "land of freedom" discriminates foreigners. In this case,mexican drivers and trucks.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #1131
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...rticleID=10326

WORST AUTOMOBILE DRIVERS

1) California
2) Illinois
3) New York
California has the worst drivers? I drove to LA for one week and I never seen even one accident even though they drive 70 - 80 mph. I don't even hear or see accidents if I watch traffic reports in TV or if I listen to the radio. In short, these people know how to drive and they know what fast driving is all about. Unlike here in DC Area such as Virginia, Maryland and West Virginia, people drive here slow and I don't get why we get too many accidents every morning and night like its always in the news.
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #1132
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
But the international business language is English, whether you like it or not. I think it's important everyone knows English.
And seriously, there's hardly an easier language than English. Not even Esperanto is that easy...

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #1133
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Earthquakes + poor maintainance = California
LOL! California doesn't get that a lot of earthquakes. It's just a mentality developed by the Mass Hysteria. Japan, Mexico, Latin America countries and the Western part of South America has worser experience. California has good maintenance but they could not keep it due to high number of vehicles. It's considered to be one of the best highways in the world.

IMO, Pennsylvania has one of my worst moments.
Old September 6th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #1134
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
In my state, there's a new law or disposition that says no tourist (domestic or international) will be sent to jail when involved in a transit acccident unless he or she is caught with high levels or alcohol.
That's exactly the kind of change that needs to be made nationwide in Mexico before Americans will ever feel comfortable driving there. Mexican law and/or culture might view locking anyone involved in an accident in a jail cell for up to 72 hours while it's being investigated as a minor bureaucratic formality/annoyance, but any American subjected to that kind of treatment is going to be completely traumatized by the experience and feel like they were horribly punished in the worst possible way... especially if they themselves did nothing wrong and were innocent victims of somebody else's careless driving. Not to mention the fact that Americans get really freaked out by the whole concept of "guilty until proven innocent" to a degree that someone who grew up in a country where Napoleonic law is the norm can never really understand.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #1135
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

I would not really blame the "guilty until proven innocent" system if people are thrown to jail for participating in traffic collisions. It is just the harshness of Mexican due process. For instance, in Russia they would never arrest anyone just for driving at 250 km/h while in some of the US states they would most likely do so. Has a judge established your guilt? No. So why arrest someone? Or in Germany - a very developed democratic country - you have to carry some cash in case if an officer requests on-spot fine, otherwise they impound your car. Again, they do it before you are proven guilty. The whole principle of "innocent until proven guilty" in America too is not as easy and clear as you might like to think.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #1136
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Another problem is cultural -- petty bribes are a fact of life in Mexico, but in America they're one of the ultimate taboos. As a result, Americans who find themselves in situations requiring the payment of bribes usually end up horribly offending, angering, or just plain putting the official in an awkward position (say, by making it obvious to the official that they think they're the most evil, corrupt spawn-of-satan thieves to have ever disgraced the planet by accepting the bribe, or even just awkwardly asking them point blank, "So, how much do I have to bribe you?" with the finesse & grace of a dozen nerds at the Playboy Mansion)

Case in point: according to a web site I found last night, apparently, if you're in an accident, get arrested, and are told you have to spend the night in jail, you can supposedly offer to pay the overtime salary of an (allegedly) off-duty police officer to guard you, and stay at your hotel instead (with the police officer guarding the door). If you pay the officer even more, he might even let you go out to dinner, shop, visit tourist attractions, or anything else as long as he can keep an eye on you (and you buy him dinner, pay for his admission, etc). The thing is, it's not an official policy, and the cash goes straight from the prisoner to the police officer's pocket. So it's technically a bribe, and if you don't know to politely ask about it as an option, the police won't come out and suggest it to you. For the record, the guy who wrote about this was Canadian & speculated that it probably wouldn't work for an American, because an American would piss off the entire police department long before that point by angrily insulting them and/or crying hysterically like a prisoner about to be executed at a Nazi death camp from the moment they were told to get in the police car.

Last edited by miamicanes; September 7th, 2007 at 01:47 AM.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1137
pwalker

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
LOL! California doesn't get that a lot of earthquakes. It's just a mentality developed by the Mass Hysteria. Japan, Mexico, Latin America countries and the Western part of South America has worser experience. California has good maintenance but they could not keep it due to high number of vehicles. It's considered to be one of the best highways in the world.

IMO, Pennsylvania has one of my worst moments.
Beg to differ, California is #2 behind Alaska for earthquake frequency in the United States. Los Angeles had severe freeway damage in 1971, and again in 1994. Ditto for the Bay Area in 1989.

I believe that almost every state in the U.S. has BOTH good and bad freeways. It all depends on which ones have been upgraded the most recently. Some of the best freeways can be found in the Rocky Mountain West, with smaller populations, but less capacity.
pwalker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #1138
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

i would defenitly love to drive on these roads

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #1139
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

I think south florida/miami area has some of the best freeways in the country. Maybe because so many of them are new.

Baghdad has nice ******* freeways btw. PRoblem is the ****** people there like to blow their cars up so we have to limit capacity cuz of checkpoints. Although that has really slowed down.

Wish i could take my camera on patrols, but command dont wanna let me right now.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #1140
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

LosAngelesMetroBoy are you serving?
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban