daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 29th, 2016, 05:42 AM   #11401
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I would consider a normal driver even at 100 or 125 mph should not have an accident or even a close call passing a median rest area... the slow moving truck is still large and should have ample sightline to see and slow down... certainly the Germans have no issues getting "surprised" by 56 mph trucks side-by-side on the left and right lanes as they roll up at 150 mph...

Sponsored Links
Old February 29th, 2016, 08:30 AM   #11402
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I would consider a normal driver even at 100 or 125 mph should not have an accident or even a close call passing a median rest area... the slow moving truck is still large and should have ample sightline to see and slow down... certainly the Germans have no issues getting "surprised" by 56 mph trucks side-by-side on the left and right lanes as they roll up at 150 mph...
Exactly German drivers. In the US they give a license to anyone with a pulse. As a result you get plenty of incompetent drivers who can't handle such situations.

mcarling, devo liked this post
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 08:32 AM   #11403
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Exactly. How could this guy not see the truck until there wasn't enough time to react? I don't see any problems if he was going the speed limit (70 mph?). So, his speed must've at least played a factor, on top of general inattentiveness. Why the blame on the rest stop for his actions?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #11404
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

IMHO, an impaired driver plus an adequate road equals no accident. An impaired driver plus an unsafe road equals accident . Roads should be built for the dumb, because there will always be dumb/sleepy/impaired drivers no matter how tough driving tests are. A merge on the left lane with heavy truck traffic is clearly not safe, even if a competent driver will obviously get through it with no major trouble.
Old February 29th, 2016, 08:06 PM   #11405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Roads need to have a 'forgiving' design, i.e. that an error doesn't automatically result in a crash. That's one of the reasons why roads have shoulders, breakaway light poles, crash barriers, etc.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

mcarling liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #11406
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
The person in the article who says they've never seen a rest stop in the median has obviously never driven on I-95. Our rest stop in Delaware is in the median, and the Chesapeake House and Maryland House in Maryland are in the median as well. I think I remember a rest stop in the median in New England somewhere, as well.

Seems like the problem is the driver. A 22-year old that we already know wasn't wearing a seat belt, which is against the law and indicates personal disregard. I'm guessing that he was going 80 mph, 90 mph, or higher, and didn't even have the space to slam on the brakes. It also seems he didn't pay attention to traffic up ahead to slow down to a reasonable speed under the limit, like 50 or so, as he passed the rest stop.
And the truck had his hazards on.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #11407
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
IMHO, an impaired driver plus an adequate road equals no accident. An impaired driver plus an unsafe road equals accident . Roads should be built for the dumb, because there will always be dumb/sleepy/impaired drivers no matter how tough driving tests are. A merge on the left lane with heavy truck traffic is clearly not safe, even if a competent driver will obviously get through it with no major trouble.
And what happens if a driver is driving very fast and also weaving, as is common amongst 22 year olds here? If he slams into a truck entering an expressway in a right-hand lane, should we remove entrance ramps on either side? Should we ban trucks?

I'm interested in finding out more about the driver and scenario. How fast was he going to drive under the back of the trailer? Why wasn't he looking ahead on the road? Was there anyone in the other lane keeping him from passing on the right?
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #11408
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Perhaps he moved to the left lane to pass another vehicle and completely overlooked the merging truck?
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #11409
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quoting the article: "But state data show the accident rate around the rest area is in line with the state average near rest stops. And on a recent visit to the rest stop, drivers took heed of the signs about a mile from the rest area in each direction warning of its unusual location."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 11:25 PM   #11410
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
And what happens if a driver is driving very fast and also weaving, as is common amongst 22 year olds here? If he slams into a truck entering an expressway in a right-hand lane, should we remove entrance ramps on either side? Should we ban trucks?

I'm interested in finding out more about the driver and scenario. How fast was he going to drive under the back of the trailer? Why wasn't he looking ahead on the road? Was there anyone in the other lane keeping him from passing on the right?
Banning trucks may be a bit too much, but many countries ban acceleration lanes on the left hand side to avoid this very type of accident.
Old March 1st, 2016, 01:51 AM   #11411
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Exactly German drivers. In the US they give a license to anyone with a pulse. As a result you get plenty of incompetent drivers who can't handle such situations.
Yeah but there are plenty of drunk American tourists driving 155 mph in Germany too

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2016, 11:06 PM   #11412
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
The point is the design itself should've been fine. I've traveled the stretch of 95 between Philly and DC many a time and I can't really fathom how they're trying to blame the design here.

Geez. Northeasterners quickly learn that the best lane for general travel is the middle lane.

Penn's Woods liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM   #11413
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-30 / SH 360 interchange, Texas

A groundbreaking ceremony was held yesterday for the construction of the new I-30 / SH 360 interchange in Arlington, halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth. The present day I-30 trumpet interchange that ends at the frontage roads of SH 360 will be replaced by a giant 4-level stack interchange. It is a $ 223 million contract.

Project website: http://keep30360moving.org/

An aerial photo of the current interchange:

A couple of renders:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; March 3rd, 2016 at 05:29 PM. Reason: renders added
Old March 3rd, 2016, 05:45 PM   #11414
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Interesting, so instead of a 5-level stack they close a 4-level stack with a boulevard-type road via the current double-trumpet-interchange to serve the frontage roads of both highways. Nice use of existing infra (though they'll most likely repave/re-align the entire thing).
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #11415
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 11

A corridor study has started for I-11 in southern Arizona, from Nogales to Wickenburg.

http://www.i11study.com/arizona/

Old March 8th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #11416
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-30 / I-35E, Dallas, Texas

February 2016 aerial photos of the Dallas Horseshoe Project.

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #11417
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

God, that thing's huge.

They really should have looked at putting at least a large portion underground-they could save a LOT of land close to downtown.

Nexis, smokiboy liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #11418
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Some Alabama ridin' (not me) for you all:-

zaphod, nick.english.dept liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 09:49 AM   #11419
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
God, that thing's huge.

They really should have looked at putting at least a large portion underground-they could save a LOT of land close to downtown.
they did, and looked at moving some portions south. Had to scratch and claw for the funding they got before some of these bridges fell apart.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2016, 10:49 PM   #11420
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

The north arch has already started rising. A few more months and it will be done
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban