daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2016, 02:17 AM   #11421
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
they did, and looked at moving some portions south. Had to scratch and claw for the funding they got before some of these bridges fell apart.

That just goes to show. Our politicians really can be incredibly shortsighted.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #11422
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
God, that thing's huge.

They really should have looked at putting at least a large portion underground-they could save a LOT of land close to downtown.
That whole area is a flood plain. That's why there is nothing on it.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #11423
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I wonder how they wanted to construct the Trinity Parkway through the floodplain. You don't want a major highway flooding every once in a while.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 01:04 AM   #11424
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Interstate 280 & Hwy 21 Interchange reconstruction in Downtown Newark,NJ

Interstate 280 + 21 Interchange Construction in Downtown Newark,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr

Interstate 280 + 21 Interchange Construction in Downtown Newark,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Luki_SL, Buffaboy, geometarkv liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #11425
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

I-35W reconstruction update in Fort Worth, Tx:

ChrisZwolle, Luki_SL, 8166UY, Bender, Xusein and 5 others liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #11426
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Reconstruction of the entire 67 corridor from Dallas to Midlothian and the 35 corridor in south Dallas is in the plannings. No toll lanes.

Luki_SL, Buffaboy liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #11427
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Flooding along the Sabine River (which forms the state line between Texas and Louisiana) has washed away some roads in the floodplain and closed nearly all bridges between Texas and Louisiana in this region.

Yesterday, they closed the I-10 bridge at Orange. This is the only major bridge to cross the lower Sabine River, three upstream bridges have also been closed. The official detour is to go all the way up to Shreveport, which is a 240 mile / 4 hour detour for east-west traffic along I-10.

However, there is another alternate route, by taking LA 27 and LA 82 from Sulphur to the coast and then west into Texas. This road is open to traffic, but accidents and long delays have been reported. It is only a two-lane road.

Now, the I-10 Sabine River Bridge itself is not flooded, but the adjacent segments over land are flooded in both Texas and Louisiana. The Welcome Center on the Texas side is completely submerged. I-10 is the only road to cross the river near Orange. There is no bridge for local traffic, US 90 is routed onto I-10 to cross into Louisiana.

The official detour:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; March 16th, 2016 at 09:12 PM. Reason: screenshot added
Old March 16th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #11428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-25, Colorado

Two I-25 widening projects were recently completed in the Denver metropolitan area.
I-25 widening between Lincoln Avenue and County Line Road in Douglas County substantially complete

Representatives from CDOT, Douglas County, the City of Lone Tree, the Denver Regional Council of Governments, the Federal Highway Administration and prime contractor Interstate Highway Construction gathered this morning to recognize the substantial completion of the Interstate 25 widening project between Lincoln Avenue and County Line Road.

Both directions of I-25 are now in their final configuration, adding an additional lane in each direction in northern Douglas County. This is the last section of I-25 to be widened between the Broadway/Santa Fe Drive area in Denver and south Castle Rock. Southbound I-25 has been in final configuration since Saturday.

Motorists are already experiencing significant travel time improvement with a fourth through lane. Peak hour travel speeds on northbound I-25 jumped 270-percent after the fourth lane opened in November. Considering 120,000 vehicles per day travel the corridor, the total daily user cost benefit is projected to exceed the $32 million project cost in under two years.

A map of I-25 between Lincoln Avenue and County Line Road:

North I-25 Express Lanes Open for Testing March 14 and 21

The High Performance Transportation Enterprise (HPTE) and Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) today announced the opening of the northbound North I-25 Express Lane to traffic on Monday, March 14, and the opening of the southbound lane for testing on March 21. The lanes go to 120th Avenue from the existing Central I-25 Express Lanes in Denver, which ends at US 36. Travelers will be able to drive in the lanes for free and learn how to use them while toll collection is waived during the testing period.

Once testing is complete, drivers can choose to ride a bus, pay a toll as a single driver or carpool for free with one other person and an ExpressToll account and pass. The three adjacent general purpose lanes will also always be free.

The North I-25 Express Lanes will be available 24 hours a day, however, they connect to the existing Central I-25 Express Lanes which are reversible lanes that are open in certain directions at different times of the day. As part of this project, there is a new connection to the existing Express Lane section that will force southbound traffic back on I-25 by 70th Street when the reversible lanes are northbound.

The North I-25 Express Lanes used existing infrastructure to expand the capacity of I-25 for six miles, from US 36 to 120th Avenue, by adding an Express Lane in each direction on the inside shoulders. In addition, the project resurfaced the existing lanes in this six-mile stretch, lowered the profile of I-25 under the 88th Avenue bridge to increase truck traffic safety, reconstructed the connection area of the existing Express Lanes and their ramps to I-25, constructed new concrete noise barriers, and installed new highway signage that includes CDOT’s Active Traffic Management system that alerts drivers of incidents. Construction began in 2013.

A map of I-25 between US 36 and 120th Avenue:
Old March 17th, 2016, 02:57 AM   #11429
typo86

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Reconstruction of the entire 67 corridor from Dallas to Midlothian and the 35 corridor in south Dallas is in the plannings. No toll lanes.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...rn-gateway.pdf
typo86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #11430
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-75, Atlanta, GA

Express lane construction along I-75 in northwestern Atlanta.

Old March 19th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #11431
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Eastern End of Interstate 80 in Ridgefield Park,NJ

by Corey Best, on Flickr

by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #11432
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

When will Interstate 11 construction start?
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 06:23 AM   #11433
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
When will Interstate 11 construction start?
I-11 construction has already started between Las Vegas and the AZ border. AZDOT are still planning the route and it will be a few more years before construction starts in AZ. Construction of the section from Las Vegas to Reno might start about five to ten years from now.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #11434
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Construction of the section from Las Vegas to Reno might start about five to ten years from now.
I wonder how they can justify such a large freeway project for such low traffic volumes in this day and age. While some other Interstate Highways on the High Plains and Intermountain West were built for similar traffic volumes in the 1960s and 1970s, I suppose it will be difficult to get a decent cost-benefit ratio for this project.

Very long stretches of US 95 between Las Vegas and the Reno area carry less than 3,000 vehicles per day and the speed limits are already quite high, mostly 70 mph on the two-lane stretches.

Of course, there is no doubt that a divided highway would improve safety significantly. But even an at-grade four-lane divided highway would cost a lot of money due to the distance alone.
Old March 19th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #11435
mcarling

If I-11 were to stop at Reno, then I agree it would be difficult to justify. However, if it will eventually continue north through Susanville, Klamath Falls, Bend, and Redmond to Yakima, then the connection between Vancouver/Seattle/Portland and Las Vegas/Phoenix will cut about 100 miles off the Interstate distance. That's a huge savings in fuel, pollution, time, and lives.
Old March 19th, 2016, 04:50 PM   #11436
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
That whole area is a flood plain. That's why there is nothing on it.
One that apparently regularly floods too, too boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder how they wanted to construct the Trinity Parkway through the floodplain. You don't want a major highway flooding every once in a while.
Honestly I think everyone outside of the Dallas metroplex is scratching their heads at the purpose of the Trinity Parkway.

If you look at where those levees are -- at high water, the Trinity fills everything in between, levee to levee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder how they can justify such a large freeway project for such low traffic volumes in this day and age. While some other Interstate Highways on the High Plains and Intermountain West were built for similar traffic volumes in the 1960s and 1970s, I suppose it will be difficult to get a decent cost-benefit ratio for this project.

Very long stretches of US 95 between Las Vegas and the Reno area carry less than 3,000 vehicles per day and the speed limits are already quite high, mostly 70 mph on the two-lane stretches.

Of course, there is no doubt that a divided highway would improve safety significantly. But even an at-grade four-lane divided highway would cost a lot of money due to the distance alone.
I don't disagree with this assessment. I think that if population density and AADT are low enough where a divided road primarily provides a safety benefit, then there's no harm letting the once-a-mile farm roads intersect the main highway. One can, after all, go in and install frontage roads later if need be.

The way Canada developed its major highways over the interior is almost certainly closer to the long-term optimum than what we did in the US. I'm willing to bet that we'll see a new standard for very rural Interstates develop once it becomes clear we can't maintain them at their current level with the money we've got anymore.

Last edited by hammersklavier; March 19th, 2016 at 04:57 PM.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #11437
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Canadas dual carriageways in the praries face issues in towns though. It's one thing to cheaply add a second carriageway for $2m/km, but not bypassing towns creates choke points and forces you to slow down.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #11438
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

It's true, but at least the rural part saves considerable time vs the old way.
Old March 19th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #11439
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
If I-11 were to stop at Reno, then I agree it would be difficult to justify. However, if it will eventually continue north through Susanville, Klamath Falls, Bend, and Redmond to Yakima, then the connection between Vancouver/Seattle/Portland and Las Vegas/Phoenix will cut about 100 miles off the Interstate distance. That's a huge savings in fuel, pollution, time, and lives.
Is Reno-Susanville-Klamath Falls-Bend-Yakima a confirmed routing for I-11 or is that just speculation? Given how much money is available for roads and highways in California, I would seriously doubt I-11 will ever enter California.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #11440
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
Is Reno-Susanville-Klamath Falls-Bend-Yakima a confirmed routing for I-11 or is that just speculation?
A formal decision on routing of I-11 north of Reno is probably still ten years away, but Reno-Susanville-Klamath Falls-Bend-Redmond-Yakima is by far the most plausible route. Aside from terrain, catchment, and distance between Portland/Seattle and Reno/Las Vegas/Phoenix, also remember that Redmond, OR is the planned disaster recovery headquarters for the Pacific Northwest in the event of a major Cascadia Subduction Earthquake (or other similar emergency), so FEMA and Oregon's Office of Emergency Management want I-11 to pass through or near Redmond.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban