daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #11461
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

I'm not sure if they don't use porous asphalt, at least on some stretches in Florida. When I was driving in rain around Tampa I was surprise how little splash there was. Despite it was raining quite heavily. One could see difference when passing the concrete bridges.

Anyway, few more shots from I-10 in Florida pangandle:

P3110863
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3110864
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3110865
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3110866
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3110867
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3110868
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3110869
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3120880
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #11462
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
In general I found roads in Florida well kept. One of the best in the US.
I think Nevada has better roads especially if you compare Miami to Las Vegas (highways and surface streets). Also South Arizona has some really nice freeways.
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #11463
54°26′S 3°24′E

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Electronic Road Pricing in Singapore was launched in September 1998, a year after the 407 opened to traffic.

However, California 91 (Riverside Freeway) has all-electronic express lanes that opened in 1995.
Probably off-topic, but these projects were almost 10 years behind Europe. Afaik the first all-electronic express toll lanes toll were installed on the E6 in Ranheim east of Trondheim, Norway in 1988 (see picture below). Shortly thereafter, in 1991, the first toll ring was established around the city, with only electronic payment options (those without transponder had to use ticket machines). Similar systems were later rapidly adapted in all Norwegian toll rings. In 1995, Portugal rolled out a nationwide ETC system called via Verde, which I believe was based on more or less the same technology as in Norway.

Except one or two places, all Norwegian toll roads currently have non-stop lanes only, with transponders that can be used nationwide. For cars without transponders, the license plates are automatically analyzed and invoices are sent out (also to many other European countries). This system was first introduced in Tønsberg in 2004, afaik.

More information can be found here, but probably a bit biased as q-free is a commercial system vendor: https://www.q-free.com/about-us/q-frees-history/

First highway toll plaza with express lanes, E6 Trondheim/Ranheim, 1988

Typical Norwegian toll plaza from the 90s. In the Trondheim (and other) cases, the "Manual" option was omitted, depending only on video surveilance. As a German friend of mine experienced, that did not mean a free ride for cars using foreign number plates....

Contemporary Norwegian ETC system, express lanes only.

ChrisZwolle, Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by 54°26′S 3°24′E; March 30th, 2016 at 08:11 PM.
54°26′S 3°24′E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #11464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

The Goldsboro, North Carolina bypass has received a 'future interstate' designation today. It is currently numbered as NC-44, and was planned to be a part of US 70, but apparently now an Interstate Highway.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EdmundX, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 10:10 PM   #11465
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

North Carolina's out of control.

What Interstate does it purport to be, anyway?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #11466
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

I guess nobody knows, because they only designated it as part of the Interstate network without any numbering.

(They US 70 corridor was added in the Fixing America's Surface Transportation Act, but without naming the numbering of this future Interstate. See SEC. 1416: "(82) United States Route 70 from its intersection with Interstate Route 40 in Garner, Wake County, North Carolina, to the Port at Morehead City, Carteret County, North Carolina.")

TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #11467
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Huh!

http://letsgetmoving.org/rta-blog/ra...5-44-50-89-56/

(In which I learn for the first time that there's an I-495 in North Carolina already open. Like I said, out of control.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Old March 31st, 2016, 04:34 AM   #11468
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
North Carolina's out of control.

What Interstate does it purport to be, anyway?
I'm guessing it's I-795 continuing on. That end into town probably just becomes a spur.

xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 05:39 PM   #11469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I doubt if it will become I-795. The NC-44 / US 70 bypass runs perpendicular to I-795.

You could imagine this Interstate Highway to connect Raleigh and New Bern / Atlantic coast.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old March 31st, 2016, 05:41 PM   #11470
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Right. It really ought to have a two-digit even number between 40 and 64, and there are plenty of those available.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Old March 31st, 2016, 06:41 PM   #11471
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-69 Martinsville - Indianapolis

The alternatives for I-69 between Martinsville and Indianapolis have been published by the Indiana Department of Transportation;

http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69...ppF%281%29.pdf

S.R. 37 Most Reasonable Route for I-69 from Martinsville to Indy

The Indiana Department of Transportation today announced that the route following State Road 37 between Martinsville and Indianapolis best meets the I-69 performance measures while minimizing cost and impacts to the human and natural environment. INDOT Commissioner Brandye Hendrickson joined Indiana Economic Development Corporation president Jim Schellinger, Martinsville Mayor Shannon Kohl, Greenwood Mayor Mark Myers and Indiana Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Kevin Brinegar to make the announcement.

“Building I-69 from Martinsville to Indianapolis using State Road 37 is the logical choice,” Commissioner Hendrickson said. “This route offers the strongest opportunities for economic growth, most significant safety improvements, and greatest reduction in congestion of all route alternatives evaluated. After years of study and input from thousands of Hoosiers, INDOT has determined that the State Road 37 option produces the best return on investment for Indiana taxpayers.”
Full press release: http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/Eve...cate=syndicate

All three alternatives will follow the existing State Road 37 from Martinsville to Indianapolis, linking up with I-465 just west of the current interchange.

Luki_SL, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 1st, 2016, 02:04 AM   #11472
geogregor

Sunshine Skyway Bridge driving northbound towards Tampa:

Old April 1st, 2016, 03:28 AM   #11473
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The alternatives for I-69 between Martinsville and Indianapolis have been published by the Indiana Department of Transportation;

http://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69...ppF%281%29.pdf

S.R. 37 Most Reasonable Route for I-69 from Martinsville to Indy

The Indiana Department of Transportation today announced that the route following State Road 37 between Martinsville and Indianapolis best meets the I-69 performance measures while minimizing cost and impacts to the human and natural environment. INDOT Commissioner Brandye Hendrickson joined Indiana Economic Development Corporation president Jim Schellinger, Martinsville Mayor Shannon Kohl, Greenwood Mayor Mark Myers and Indiana Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Kevin Brinegar to make the announcement.

“Building I-69 from Martinsville to Indianapolis using State Road 37 is the logical choice,” Commissioner Hendrickson said. “This route offers the strongest opportunities for economic growth, most significant safety improvements, and greatest reduction in congestion of all route alternatives evaluated. After years of study and input from thousands of Hoosiers, INDOT has determined that the State Road 37 option produces the best return on investment for Indiana taxpayers.”
Full press release: http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/Eve...cate=syndicate

All three alternatives will follow the existing State Road 37 from Martinsville to Indianapolis, linking up with I-465 just west of the current interchange.

A logical choice would have been to route it west of Mooresville to connect with I-70. A convenient connection to the industrial park along I-70.

Buffaboy, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:42 AM   #11474
geogregor

I-65 in Montgomery, AL.

P3100595
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3100598
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

P3100600
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Entry to I-65

P3100604
by Geogregor*, on Flickr
Old April 4th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #11475
geogregor

I-75 around Fort Myers

edit:

The lane discipline in Florida is one of the worst I have observed in the entire USA. Especially on I-75 (somehow I-95 felt better, I don't know why). I honestly struggled on I-75. I wasn't sure if I should follow my European instincts and try to maintain the lane discipline or follow the locals. At the end I didn't manage to do either and ended up with this weird video.

Last edited by geogregor; April 5th, 2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old April 5th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #11476
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Dallas Horseshoe Project update:

Old April 6th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #11477
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

I wish Alabama was as fast as Texas is at completing road projects.

Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #11478
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
I-75 around Fort Myers

edit:

The lane discipline in Florida is one of the worst I have observed in the entire USA. Especially on I-75 (somehow I-95 felt better, I don't know why). I honestly struggled on I-75. I wasn't sure if I should follow my European instincts and try to maintain the lane discipline or follow the locals. At the end I didn't manage to do either and ended up with this weird video.
Florida drivers have a terrible reputation from what I read and heard.

LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #11479
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

I drove from Toronto to San Antonio last Fall. My two biggest pet peeves were drivers who drove around the speed limit in the left lane and absolutely refused to move over (even when there were three lanes available). And truckers who took up all three lanes, especially in Texas. Common driver courtesy is very much lacking in some states.

smokiboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #11480
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If you watch those Freewayjim videos you frequently see people driving in the left lane for no apparent reason, with the right lanes clear of traffic as far as you can see.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban