daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #11541
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-55, Chicago

The I-55 / Lake Shore Drive (US 41) interchange reconstruction.

I-55/Lake Shore Dr. Interchange Construction by Illinois Department of Transportation, on Flickr

I-55/Lake Shore Dr. Interchange Construction by Illinois Department of Transportation, on Flickr

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #11542
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

I've been on LSD once, it was 2 years ago. I always felt that it should be a freeway and not a 40 MPH parkway kind of thing.
Buffaboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:37 PM   #11543
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
I've been on LSD once
Selective quoting is fun
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:47 PM   #11544
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
I saw that on AARoads and thought it was a good plan, but unlikely to happen.

Nexis what is your opinion of an I-78 tunnel under Manhattan with an exit on the east and west side?
The Cost and complexity of a tunnel would outweigh the savings from decreased congestion. The Canal Street corridor is a complex area to tunnel with all the subway lines and soil conditions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Tunnel boring costs are going down and Brooklyn land values are going up. Eventually it will be economically compelling.
The ROW that would be freed up is probably worth at least 10 billion if not more...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Buffaboy liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:13 AM   #11545
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
I've been on LSD once
Is it better or worse than a mushrooms trip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The ROW that would be freed up is probably worth at least 10 billion if not more...
IIRC rail tunnels of that type are estimated at ~$1 bn/mile. This makes me wonder how much more expensive a road tunnel would be, and whether the project would pencil out, based on selling development options along the current ROW.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #11546
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
The Cost and complexity of a tunnel would outweigh the savings from decreased congestion. The Canal Street corridor is a complex area to tunnel with all the subway lines and soil conditions...
What about a deep-bore no-exit tunnel? Sort of a bypass directly to either Brooklyn or Queens? Or even out towards Nassau? Take the load off of the LIE.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:38 AM   #11547
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Is it better or worse than a mushrooms trip?

IIRC rail tunnels of that type are estimated at ~$1 bn/mile. This makes me wonder how much more expensive a road tunnel would be, and whether the project would pencil out, based on selling development options along the current ROW.
Wait wha? You can take a trip on a mushroom down the LSD in Chicago? Wasn't aware of that (and no I know nothing about the other one, it is scary).

Anyway...I don't want to get too off topic!
Buffaboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 01:51 AM   #11548
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
What about a deep-bore no-exit tunnel? Sort of a bypass directly to either Brooklyn or Queens? Or even out towards Nassau? Take the load off of the LIE.
It would be expensive , the Brooklyn and Queens side would be very complex...due to the various Redevelopment plans underway which are turning the former Industrial areas into Residential...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #11549
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Wait wha? You can take a trip on a mushroom down the LSD in Chicago? Wasn't aware of that
Sounds like you were on LSD in more than one kind of way!
Quote:
(and no I know nothing about the other one, it is scary).
From what I hear, once you ingest it, LSD never leaves your body. Other kinds of cactus juice

are safer.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:19 PM   #11550
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-35 Austin, TX

Plans have been unveiled for a project to add 3 more direct connectors to the I-35 / US 183 interchange in Austin, Texas.

The current interchange features only 2 direct connectors, south to west and vice versa. Other turns will need to use the frontage roads. This project will add 3 more direct connectors;

* I-35 southbound to US 183 southbound
* US 183 northbound to I-35 northbound
* I-35 southbound to US 183 northbound

The project cost is $ 204 million. The project is scheduled to start in fall 2017 and will be completed by 2020.

Old May 5th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #11551
ChrisZwolle
Road user

North Carolina

North Carolina has requested two new Interstate numbers in the state;

* I-36: would run across US 70 from Garner (near Raleigh) to Havelock, via Goldsboro and New Bern. The proposed route is approximately 137 miles long.
* I-89: would run across US 64 and US 17 from Raleigh to the Virginia border south of Norfolk. The proposed route is approximately 179 miles long.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Old May 5th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #11552
sotonsi

odd choices!

As for I-89
Quote:
The State of North Carolina has coordinated with the Commonwealth of Virginia and they concur with the proposed I-89 route number. While the I-89 route designation is utilized in the states of New Hampshire and Vermont, it is requested due to the increasing difficulty in identifying an Interstate number that meets the criteria and is not currently in use. Confusion between other occurrences of the I-89 route is unlikely due to a significant separation of the Interstate Routes. Additionally, adding another current Interstate route that is non-continuous is not a unique occurrence. As individual portions of the proposed alignment are constructed or upgraded to interstate standards, separate AASHTO applications requesting the addition of those portions to the interstate system will be submitted for review.

Kanadzie, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #11553
prageethSL

Likes (Received): 3034

Dallas horseshoe project construction progress

http://dallashorseshoe.com/aerial-photos-april-2016/

Last edited by prageethSL; May 6th, 2016 at 06:59 AM.
prageethSL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #11554
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

However this would be the first time of a North-South duplication, all other instances (I-76, I-84, I-86, I-88) are East-West

In addition to I-36 (which should have been I-38 IMO, so Caltrans would have to renumber I-238) and the Southern I-89, there's also a request for I-14, this time by Texas.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #11555
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Does it at least run mostly north and south and exist east of 85?

I can see the logic, I've always strongly felt numbers should reflect corridors not segments. This keeps things simple and respects the main intent of the numbering system. Otherwise you end up with too many unique numbered roads and exhaust the good ones, creating a mess. E.G a potential Houston to Austin interstate would be best signed as I-12.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; May 7th, 2016 at 02:53 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 04:04 AM   #11556
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Does it at least run mostly north and south and exist east of 85?
I'm not sure even the I-495 portion is more n-s than e-w. But the bit north of Elizabeth City would be, I guess.

Most of proposed I-89 it is east of I-95, and more e-w than n-s. It's also hard to claim 'diagonal' for it - it is significantly more e-w than n-s. But I guess it is roughly perpendicular to I-26, and roughly parallel to I-85.

NC have previously requested I-44 for this corridor.

Old May 7th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #11557
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Why don't they just classify it as a state route? Intrastate interstates are so strange...

Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #11558
sotonsi

I-89 isn't an intrastate interstate - it will cross a state line (unlike I-36). And the whole concept of intrastate interstates being oxymoronic relies on a misunderstanding of the concept behind interstates - it's the network that is interstate, not the highways.

I don't see why they should classify it as a state route - both corridors are already US routes, and state routes are lower down the pecking order. While the numbers sought aren't great, there's no reason why these corridors shouldn't be added to the interstate network (ie raised up a level), and signed as interstates once they meet the geometric requirements.

Jschmuck, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old May 7th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #11559
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I-405 in Bellevue, Washington:

Old May 8th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #11560
gregduh

Likes (Received): 35

There always seems to be so much vegetation along the roads in Seattle. I wish we could say that about Buffalo.

gregduh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban