daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #1141
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

A new extension of I-210 into San Bernardino County near Los Angeles. This is obviously before it was opened to traffic.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #1142
roogenial
In da gym

Likes (Received): 2291

Can you post some pictures of the I 210 now that is opened to traffic? Thanks
roogenial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1143
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

What kind of pavement do you guys use? Just rough concrete? It looks like a 50 year old German Autobahn already.

What part of the I-210 is this? The final stretch to the I-215?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #1144
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

You're seeing the foundation of the road. The final layer hasn't been poured on yet.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #1145
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Then why are there aroad markings painted on the pavement?
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #1146
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

After driving in Southern California, I had an impression that they really prefer concrete surface for their motorways. But then, they have a huge motorway network, so I would guess concrete works better in terms of cost.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:17 AM   #1147
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Asphalt is not used on the freeways, but it is used on the exits and entrances. The surface used on the new segment of the 210 is supposed to last 40 years, so I guess that means it will be replaced in 100 years.

Sorry that it's so small, but this is the only picture that I could find that showed traffic on the new extension.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old October 1st, 2007, 04:44 AM   #1148
roogenial
In da gym

Likes (Received): 2291

Thanks anyway
Do you know any website or thread with tons of pictures of freeways? USA Freeways/Los Angeles Freeways
roogenial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:38 AM   #1149
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

http://www.interstate-guide.com/
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:39 AM   #1150
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

As a note, the new extension of the 210 is not yet part of the Interstate system. That should come about some time next year.

Old October 1st, 2007, 08:39 PM   #1151
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
What kind of pavement do you guys use? Just rough concrete? It looks like a 50 year old German Autobahn already.

What part of the I-210 is this? The final stretch to the I-215?
New concrete on USA highways is usually very smooth and has good non-skid properties. Many USA states use it as 'SOP' (Standard Operating Procedure) on roads that get moderate to heavy traffic loads, such as new/rebuilt four lanes and freeways and many more major two-laners.

Properly built, a concrete highway surface can last decades - the Edens Expressway (I-94) in the Chicago area was repaved with concrete in the late 1970s and early 1980s and it still gives a very smooth ride - even though it is constantly pounded with very heavy traffic.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1152
GuyFromMoss
Real Norwegian

Likes (Received): 1

I was in the Washington DC area in the beginning of september, and I think the freeways and the interstates look pretty much the same as the european counterparts. It was mostly asphalt from what I saw.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:57 AM   #1153
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

I know that this isn't an Interstate, but the Ventura Freeway portion of US-101 has an asphalt layer that was put on a few years ago. Anyone know why they decided to put asphalt on that freeway and not concrete?

Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM   #1154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe because asphalt is generally more noise-reducing as concrete?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:54 AM   #1155
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I have a question about American taxes for driving. Which taxes are there?

In the Netherlands, the taxes are huge.

First, when you buy a new car, you have to pay 19% VAT, and 42% extra over the initial price.

Then, you have to pay a monthly amount of money for having the car, depending on kind of car, weight, and fuel. (we use diesel extensive for cars too).

Third, you have to pay a lot of taxes over fuel consumption, the usualy 19% VAT, but also extra environmental taxes, so our price per gallon is over 7$.

We have no extra road tolls, but they are thinking of implementing it, making driving even costlier.

What about it in the USA?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1156
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Chris, the fuel taxes vary from state to state. These maps show how much tax each state imposes on diesel and benzine.

The taxes on new cars are not as high as in Europe though. On average, you would pay about $2000 worth of taxes on a $25000 car. However, you have to add registration fees (vary greatly in every state), title fees, and EMISSION FEES. The latter can be really huge. For instance, in California, emission fee is about $2000 for a passenger car priced below $20000. Other states don't have these strict emission requirements, but the Federal government is planning to introduce a nation-wide emission restrictions that would rise corresponding fees in every single state (as always, consumer pays for everything).

P.S. Since me and my wife moved to Washington, we drive on average 2 km a day. So, the benzine price is not critical for me anymore
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #1157
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

US-93

I was looking at this road that crosses the Hoover Dam, and I noticed that a pretty large freeway is going there. Is this going to replace all of the 93 or just the portion that crosses the Colorado River?

Old October 4th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1158
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The I-515 goes to a point between Henderson and Boulder City, that's only a few miles from the Hoover Dam from Nevada side.

From the Arizona side, the US93 is a multilane highway from Kingman (at the I-40) to almost the Hoover Dam.

The US93 north of Las Vegas is damn remote. Only a few villages along the 260 mile route to Ely, and only a few villages over 140 miles between Ely and Wells, at the I-80.
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #1159
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

The bridge will replace US 93 over the dam. After it is complete, the dam will be closed to through traffic.

When the I-system was being laid out, both Las Vegas, NV and Phoenix, AZ were metros of between 50 and 100K, not enough to justify a long interstate through the middle of nowhere. Both are now in the 2-3M range.

There are, of course, security worries regarding that traffic, but the bypass bridge has been planned for many years and is needed to clear up that traffic bottleneck.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #1160
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

I can see construction near the Hoover Dam and I can tell that a bridge is going to be built there, but is this going to replace the entire stretch of US-93 to Arizona or just to improve the traffic flow over the Hoover Dam since that is a major bottleneck?

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban