daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2016, 02:55 AM   #11621
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Standard median width is 36 feet (11 meters). Here it is way more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are numerous freeway stretches that have a median that's (much) wider than 36 feet, both in forested areas (such as I-64 in eastern Virginia) or on the plains (such as I-25 in Wyoming).
Without attempting to quantify it, I'll assert that a large majority of Interstates have medians of about sixty feet. That was more or less the standard in the sixties and early seventies when most of the system was built. I say "more or less" because different states have different standards: 64 for my own state of Georgia, a bit more for South Carolina, fifty sixish (c/o Google Earth) in Alabama. And in some states with a policy of providing wide medians on Interstates, sixty feet was still the standard for non-Interstate rural freeways.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2016, 05:07 AM   #11622
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Well, the Braess' paradox can occur. So they are partially right about that.
The problem is that NIMBYs see the instances where this happens and assume it means that EVERY new road is a bad thing. Like anything in life poor planning can lead to bad results, but that's a reason for more city planning, not for less infrastructure growth.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 05:55 AM   #11623
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacci View Post
Well it's because of uncontrolled sprawl, I believe.
Or, just maybe, it could be the resulting consequence of very thorough, long term logistical planning that's calculated population growth factors into projects. And we are talking about long term planning that spans for the past 60 years; speaking for DFW.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 06:17 AM   #11624
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
The problem is that NIMBYs see the instances where this happens and assume it means that EVERY new road is a bad thing. Like anything in life poor planning can lead to bad results, but that's a reason for more city planning, not for less infrastructure growth.
This kind of abuse of statistics is very common. Normally a study says "in 60% of the cases, under X circumstances, A causes B, we can say so with 90% certainty". People read "in 100% of the cases, under all circumstances, A causes B, no exceptions, no uncertainty" and quote it all over the internet. It's just impossible to reason with them.

mcarling liked this post
siamu maharaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #11625
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
This kind of abuse of statistics is very common. Normally a study says "in 60% of the cases, under X circumstances, A causes B, we can say so with 90% certainty". People read "in 100% of the cases, under all circumstances, A causes B, no exceptions, no uncertainty" and quote it all over the internet. It's just impossible to reason with them.
There is an even worse abuse of statistics by those calculating them: the application of statistics to phenomena which are neither gaussian random nor poisson random, and therefore are undefined. Economists do this all the time and then claim that "it's a good approximation" when it fact it's nonsense.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 01:55 AM   #11626
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
There is an even worse abuse of statistics by those calculating them: the application of statistics to phenomena which are neither gaussian random nor poisson random, and therefore are undefined. Economists do this all the time and then claim that "it's a good approximation" when it fact it's nonsense.
Preaching to the choir. I have always maintained that statistics is the biggest fraud in modern history. The fact it's consider science is a mockery of the word science. Statistics can be twisted to come to whatever conclusion you want. It is inherently biased, which is the exact opposite of science.

mcarling liked this post
Old June 5th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #11627
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Preaching to the choir. I have always maintained that statistics is the biggest fraud in modern history. The fact it's consider science is a mockery of the word science. Statistics can be twisted to come to whatever conclusion you want. It is inherently biased, which is the exact opposite of science.
This is completely non-sense. Engineering, Finance, Medicine - none can exist without Statistics.

TM_Germany, verreme, Highway89 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2016, 04:44 AM   #11628
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This is completely non-sense. Engineering, Finance, Medicine - none can exist without Statistics.
Going way off-topic, so will just say that we're talking about different things.

Let's get back to highways now.

mcarling, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old June 9th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #11629
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some I-5 SoCal goodness:

Old June 11th, 2016, 06:13 AM   #11630
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Question:

Where is the exit for non-carpool vehicles?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 06:37 AM   #11631
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

This is kind of random, but I was just watching a recent episode of the animated TV show Archer. There is a scene where the main characters are riding in a convertible on a freeway in Southern California.

The show is known for its elaborate animation and backgrounds that look like they were modeled/photoshopped out of real images, and I spent some time pausing the video on my cable box trying to figure out if it was on a real highway or not based the signs. You know like any normal SSC member would do, lol.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure the animators drove that road and used photos to skin 3d models or whatever for the scene. The sign with 91 pointing towards Artesia is there and so are those mid-rise buildings. Go figure.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #11632
mvcg66b3r

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Question:

Where is the exit for non-carpool vehicles?
Katella Avenue or State College Blvd.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, wkiehl101 liked this post
mvcg66b3r no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 05:03 AM   #11633
tjfd88

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
This is kind of random, but I was just watching a recent episode of the animated TV show Archer. There is a scene where the main characters are riding in a convertible on a freeway in Southern California.

The show is known for its elaborate animation and backgrounds that look like they were modeled/photoshopped out of real images, and I spent some time pausing the video on my cable box trying to figure out if it was on a real highway or not based the signs. You know like any normal SSC member would do, lol.

Long story short, I'm pretty sure the animators drove that road and used photos to skin 3d models or whatever for the scene. The sign with 91 pointing towards Artesia is there and so are those mid-rise buildings. Go figure.
They also did a very good job in another episode where the titular character has to travel from Montreal to New York City with rather accurate signs for Quebec and New York highways, and an Ontario sign there for some reason. Even the font was pretty close.

zaphod, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
tjfd88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 06:58 AM   #11634
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Newark Bay Bridge

Newark Bay & Port Newark in the Early Evening hours - Bayonne,NJ
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 09:13 AM   #11635
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

I thought that the roads here in WA were ugly, but I guess California has us beat.

The pics are great though.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #11636
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

it's just the signs that start to turn black...
but I wonder if its pollution or that the dry air is making the signs hold up longer than up north, and they're actually original?

Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #11637
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

I10 Phoenix Metro

Old June 13th, 2016, 07:55 AM   #11638
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
it's just the signs that start to turn black...
but I wonder if its pollution or that the dry air is making the signs hold up longer than up north, and they're actually original?
There are grooves all over the concrete that have permeated into the paving. The quality looks very bad in comparison to the road in the post above me from Arizona.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #11639
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

The grooves are from rather coarse diamond grinding of the concrete surface, to smooth over wear and increase grip. It doesn't look pretty but is important on CA's heavily used highways.

Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #11640
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
The grooves are from rather coarse diamond grinding of the concrete surface, to smooth over wear and increase grip. It doesn't look pretty but is important on CA's heavily used highways.
Actually, those grooves look like they were made when the concrete was poured and are there to provide additional traction when it rains. Water on smooth concrete is a recipe for disaster. The only real issue with this type of grooving is an increase in road noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein
There are grooves all over the concrete that have permeated into the paving. The quality looks very bad in comparison to the road in the post above me from Arizona.
That's like comparing apples to oranges. Asphalt roads, like those in the Arizona pictures, do not need to be grooved because of their porous nature.

TM_Germany, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban