daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 27th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #11661
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Interstate 17 in Arizona

A new project to add capacity on I-17 north of Phoenix appears to gain traction. $ 3 million has been allocated to design two reversible lanes in the median of I-17 from Black Canyon City to Sunset Point, a good 40 miles north of Phoenix. This is the stretch of freeway with long grades. I-17 climbs from 2,000 ft in Black Canyon City to some 3,200 ft near Sunset Point. The reversible lanes would be approximately 8 miles long. Construction is still 6-7 years away though.

http://www.dcourier.com/news/2016/ju...-planned-adot/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #11662
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Interstate 35 in Texas

A project to widen I-35 from four to six lanes south of Waco has been completed. The $ 169 million project widened 10 miles of I-35 between Bruceville-Eddy and Waco.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #11663
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
This is a project that will cost billions, not improve traffic, and tear through the center of the city. What is needed is an alternate highway that goes east-west. Here in Seattle the tolled express lanes on the 405 made traffic worse for example.
Depends on your location and willingness to pay.

If you live north of 522 and don't pay, likely it's way worse.

But if you live south of 522 and do pay, I'd gather it would be way better.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #11664
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A general purpose lane or HOV lane? Normally these tolled express lanes / managed lanes / HOT lanes are a conversion from an HOV lane to a tolled lane.

Converting regular lanes into toll lanes wouldn't be very popular.
Its a general purpose lane. There are no HOV lanes in the Tampa Bay area, one thing which I think is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
Depends on your location and willingness to pay.

If you live north of 522 and don't pay, likely it's way worse.

But if you live south of 522 and do pay, I'd gather it would be way better.
Of course its better if you pay, but for anyone in the general lanes its worse. Not to mention increased traffic on I-5 and surrounding roads. I'm lucky that with my work schedule I can generally avoid the whole mess since you can use the HOV/HOT lanes after 7pm for free and without the HOV requirement.

I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #11665
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3625

And for bus riders and vanpool drivers, it's also working...

And why would a lack of HOV lanes be a good thing? You please both sides by (a) adding priority for buses and carpools and (b) not taking a GP lane to do so, in most cases.
SounderBruce está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 04:02 AM   #11666
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

they tend to cause a lot of accidents from speed differential
and typically are inefficient (they will speed up a few people, but if it was a general lane, everyone would speed up a little, but globally, more time will be saved)
Old June 29th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #11667
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Quote:
Of course its better if you pay, but for anyone in the general lanes its worse. Not to mention increased traffic on I-5 and surrounding roads. I'm lucky that with my work schedule I can generally avoid the whole mess since you can use the HOV/HOT lanes after 7pm for free and without the HOV requirement.
That's why I bit the bullet and got a Good to Go pass.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 08:18 PM   #11668
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Maybe because it will take land, add noise, and add emissions.
Traffic flow in Tampa is horrendous to begin with. Improving throughput from the suburbs may actually help emissions, rather than harm them, by reducing standstill traffic.

Most of the takings for this project had already been enacted in previous projects. The most controversial section, 275 north of 4, doesn't appear to have more than a few dozen takings in its most recent iteration. It's unfortunate, but these properties had already had their ultimate value diminished when it was I-75 cutting through there 50 years ago.

Furthermore, I've noticed FDOT goes above and beyond many other jurisdictions in the Sun Belt as far as sound mitigation.

Quote:
This is a project that will cost billions, not improve traffic, and tear through the center of the city. What is needed is an alternate highway that goes east-west. Here in Seattle the tolled express lanes on the 405 made traffic worse for example.
Cost is, and has always been, only an argument for those opposed to the project to begin with.

I'm failing to see how separating suburban through traffic from local traffic won't help traffic flow - and I'm saying this as someone who drove from Busch to Downtown on a regular basis in recent years. Everyone gets jammed at the I-4 bottleneck. Getting the suburban traffic out of the way will alleviate much of the issue.

No disagreement that an alternative east-west route is needed, but good luck getting Hillsborough Ave converted to a freeway - that's a political nightmare waiting to happen. Creating anything north of there, including the once-planned outer belt, will run into even worse suburban politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Many express lane projects have been very positive for traffic flow though. I think the performance of the I-405 express lanes is more of an exception than a rule.

As far as I'm aware, these express lanes in the Tampa Bay Area are all planned to be new capacity, perhaps taking an HOV lane at worst (I'm not sure if the Tampa area actually has many HOV lanes).
There are no HOV lanes in Tampa - blew my mind when I moved there.

mcarling liked this post
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 07:33 AM   #11669
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by SounderBruce View Post
And for bus riders and vanpool drivers, it's also working...

And why would a lack of HOV lanes be a good thing? You please both sides by (a) adding priority for buses and carpools and (b) not taking a GP lane to do so, in most cases.
When I used to commute from Everett to Seattle I witnessed why they don't work. Basically at every on/off ramp traffic came to a stop as buses, vanpools, and cars cut across all lanes to get to the HOV lane. Traffic would flow much better if this didn't occur. HOV lanes also seem to encourage camping in the left lane which is for passing. There's a reason people joke that in Seattle the right lane is the passing lane. Very few countries outside of the US have HOV lanes, they just aren't efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
they tend to cause a lot of accidents from speed differential
and typically are inefficient (they will speed up a few people, but if it was a general lane, everyone would speed up a little, but globally, more time will be saved)
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
That's why I bit the bullet and got a Good to Go pass.
I have a GTG pass but not the HOT one. Luckily don't really need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Cost is, and has always been, only an argument for those opposed to the project to begin with.

I'm failing to see how separating suburban through traffic from local traffic won't help traffic flow - and I'm saying this as someone who drove from Busch to Downtown on a regular basis in recent years. Everyone gets jammed at the I-4 bottleneck. Getting the suburban traffic out of the way will alleviate much of the issue.

No disagreement that an alternative east-west route is needed, but good luck getting Hillsborough Ave converted to a freeway - that's a political nightmare waiting to happen. Creating anything north of there, including the once-planned outer belt, will run into even worse suburban politics.

There are no HOV lanes in Tampa - blew my mind when I moved there.
The TBX project won't separate thru traffic from local traffic. You're assuming those people will use the HOT lanes which only a small percentage will. Your second point is valid, thats what created the mess in the first place.

mcarling, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #11670
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
The TBX project won't separate thru traffic from local traffic. You're assuming those people will use the HOT lanes which only a small percentage will. Your second point is valid, thats what created the mess in the first place.
Plenty of East Pasco and New Tampanians who will use those lanes to get to Disney/the beach 25 minutes faster, I'd say.

ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2016, 05:21 AM   #11671
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3625

Quote:
When I used to commute from Everett to Seattle I witnessed why they don't work. Basically at every on/off ramp traffic came to a stop as buses, vanpools, and cars cut across all lanes to get to the HOV lane. Traffic would flow much better if this didn't occur. HOV lanes also seem to encourage camping in the left lane which is for passing. There's a reason people joke that in Seattle the right lane is the passing lane. Very few countries outside of the US have HOV lanes, they just aren't efficient.
Well, during peak hours the buses generally are constrained to only using the HOV direct access ramps at places like Lynnwood TC and Broadway in Everett. The solution is obviously to build more of these and open up a limited few to carpools.

And the cutting-across is a huge issue, even in non-HOV situations like the 45th/Ship Canal-520-Mercer weave. The latter pair is particularly bad and probably contributes greatly to downtown traffic, and won't be solved anytime soon.

Maps of Seattle and the Puget Sound region

Twitter - Flickr - Wikipedia - Seattle Transit Blog - SkyriseCities

SounderBruce está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2016, 11:13 PM   #11672
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Horseshoe Project month of June's progress report:

Old July 2nd, 2016, 11:56 PM   #11673
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

definitely early June as they have opened some of the new ramps on I-30

rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:50 AM   #11674
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

no state can compete with Texas, they are buildings freeways everywhere and bigger and biggers
Old July 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM   #11675
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

I hope they can move on to making the area around the junction look less like a concrete wasteland.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 10:42 AM   #11676
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

That's indeed going to be the case once construction is complete. Riverfront Blvd will be rebuilt and the old run down and parking lots around it will be demolished for a new wave of development.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:53 PM   #11677
ukraroad

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
<photos>

It really looks like a real waste of space(as for a European). I hope they make a park or something like that...

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 3rd, 2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: unnecessary photo quote
ukraroad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 03:55 PM   #11678
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17425

Where would you like to make a park and for whom ?

Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2016, 06:33 PM   #11679
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21235

Downtown Houston freeway realignment and removal plan

This should be interesting if carried onward as proposed by TxDOT. Maximum freeway lane point-count: 28 lanes!
Source (there is also a video there)

Old July 3rd, 2016, 07:22 PM   #11680
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

I think it was already discussed back when the article was posted (and linked to) in april.

Anyone know if there's news?
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban