daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #11701
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

traffic safety

Preliminary data by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration shows that the amount of traffic fatalities in 2015 has increased by 7.7%, to 35,200 deaths. This is a rate of 109 per 1 million inhabitants (twice the EU rate). It is the highest amount of fatalities since 2008.

Distracted driving has been named as a major issue, in many western countries the long-term decline of traffic fatalities began to stagnate or even reverse since smartphones and mobile apps became popular.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #11702
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11816

cool.

Luki_SL, nick.english.dept liked this post
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #11703
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

...maybe you shouldn't say that when the post above you is talking about an increase in mortality rates.

jchernin liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #11704
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

but what is it really trying to say ?
It's rate per population which went up a single digit percentage
But gasoline prices were much lower in 2015 than 2014 particularly in the summer.
Did extra vehicle mileage cause more fatalities even with a similar or lower deaths per billion passenger-km?

mcarling liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #11705
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

More people driving means more congestion. More congestion on outdated and deteriorating roads leads to more accidents. Not really that shocking. Not to mention driver training is still very poor.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #11706
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Yeah, or how about the increase of smartphone-zombies on the roads over the last couple of years?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 11:01 AM   #11707
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19132

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Yeah, or how about the increase of smartphone-zombies on the roads over the last couple of years?
Looking at drivers here in London I would say this new trend of driving distracted by electronic devices is becoming new DUI.

I have seen that in the US a lot. You even see drivers texting and driving

How do you combat it? At least with drink driving you could test drivers.
Maybe traffic police should be able to check log of your device if it was used while you drove?

Let say they pull someone over for dangerous driving and then ask if they can see log of the device showing if it was activated in the last few minutes.
Sounds fairly simple to implement.
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 11:32 AM   #11708
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Let say they pull someone over for dangerous driving and then ask if they can see log of the device showing if it was activated in the last few minutes.
What about people that use their phone for satnav? Or people that use 'em for other driving-related apps? (for example in NL the legal anti-speedtrap app Flitsnav or Flitsmeister which both give visual and audiowarnings when passing by a speedtrap).
Old July 26th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #11709
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Did extra vehicle mileage cause more fatalities even with a similar or lower deaths per billion passenger-km?
Vehicle miles traveled (VMT) increased by 3.5% over the same period. However, VMT and traffic fatalities are not directly related. Over a longer period, VMT has grown very strongly while fatalities went down.
Old July 26th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #11710
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
What about people that use their phone for satnav? Or people that use 'em for other driving-related apps? (for example in NL the legal anti-speedtrap app Flitsnav or Flitsmeister which both give visual and audiowarnings when passing by a speedtrap).
But you shouldn't operate those aps while driving. Set destinations before you start driving.
Old July 26th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #11711
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Some of those apps I mention will auto-import new updated data (depending on settings). Now, I'm by no means a smartphone expert but I'm fairly sure that would show up in the log...
Old July 26th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #11712
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A Houston freeway party in the 1950s.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, xXFallenXx, LAYiddo, sonysnob liked this post
Old July 27th, 2016, 03:03 AM   #11713
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Looking at drivers here in London I would say this new trend of driving distracted by electronic devices is becoming new DUI.

I have seen that in the US a lot. You even see drivers texting and driving

How do you combat it? At least with drink driving you could test drivers.
Maybe traffic police should be able to check log of your device if it was used while you drove?

But what of privacy and freedom? It seems very very wrong to permit an officer to look at one's cellular phone without a court order to do so for some important investigation.

In any case if the police see you driving dangerously, that is pretty much that, the swerving around and running over people is better evidence than any electronic data

zaphod liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #11714
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A Houston freeway party in the 1950s.
Is it exististing Interstate highway ?
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #11715
geogregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
But what of privacy and freedom? It seems very very wrong to permit an officer to look at one's cellular phone without a court order to do so for some important investigation.

In any case if the police see you driving dangerously, that is pretty much that, the swerving around and running over people is better evidence than any electronic data
You might laugh until some texting moron drive into you.

I can't imagine than in XXI century we can't find some simple technological/legal solution for such simple problem.

If police have right to test you for alcohol or drugs why don't they have right to check if you were not doing things you shouldn't while driving.
Old July 27th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #11716
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
Is it exististing Interstate highway ?
The Gulf Freeway is present-day I-45, at that time US 75, southeast of Houston. The first stretch opened in 1948.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old July 31st, 2016, 12:22 AM   #11717
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

A major interstate(new interstate) reconstruction/expansion in Green Bay, WI is ending this year after 7 years, expanding the highway from 2-3 lanes in each direction to 3-5 lanes in each direction in various spots. Also included is a brand new system interchange (previously service interchange) with WI-29 and reconstruction of an existing interstate to interstate interchange;

http://wbay.com/2016/07/28/the-last-...-construction/

http://us41wisconsin.gov/

JMBasquiat liked this post
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 08:06 AM   #11718
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

A couple of days ago, I saw a woman driving at night with her lights off. Repeatedly, at a stoplights, I was trying to get her attention to tell her to turn on her lights, but she was distracted by her phone. Finally, I got out of my car and walked up to her window to discover that she was playing Pokemon Go while driving.

mdhookey liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2016, 11:58 AM   #11719
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

It`s human stupidity, not road infrastructure
Old July 31st, 2016, 11:58 AM   #11720
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95, Florida

I-95 widening project comes to a close in Brevard

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is pleased to announce the completion of the Brevard Interstate 95 (I-95) widening project.

The project limits of the $130 million project extend from Titusville to New Smyrna Beach. In addition to widening, the contractor, Lane Construction, widened six bridges, replaced one bridge, constructed a sound wall, installed drainage system improvements and Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) modifications, as well as other roadway improvements.

The completion of this segment of I-95 widening now provides for at least three travel lanes in each direction all the way from southern Brevard County to New Smyrna Beach in southern Volusia County.

I-95 extends from Miami up the eastern corridor all the way to Maine. A project to widen I-95 farther south in Indian River County is expected to finish later this year, while another widening project to the north in Volusia County is expected to be completed in summer 2018.
Press release: http://www.cflroads.com/news/article...ose_in_Brevard

It's amazing how they expanded a nearly 30 mile stretch of Interstate Highway for only $ 130 million. Of course, the freeway already had a sufficiently wide median, but that's a lot of pavement to add, and they did had to replace a number of bridges (basically all bridges that carry I-95 across another road).

Luki_SL, TM_Germany, xXFallenXx liked this post

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban