daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2016, 05:55 PM   #11721
StoJa9
BANNED

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
A major interstate(new interstate) reconstruction/expansion in Green Bay, WI is ending this year after 7 years, expanding the highway from 2-3 lanes in each direction to 3-5 lanes in each direction in various spots. Also included is a brand new system interchange (previously service interchange) with WI-29 and reconstruction of an existing interstate to interstate interchange;

http://wbay.com/2016/07/28/the-last-...-construction/

http://us41wisconsin.gov/
Hate the Packers but love the "G" logo carved into the overpass, as well as some of the other artwork and even street names. Wish we had that kind of creativity in our infrastructure here in Minnesota.
StoJa9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #11722
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Howdy ya'll! I've got a new update for the Dallas Horseshoe Project! Now the heat in Texas has been unbearable, but the heat isn't enough to hinder progress!

I am happy to report that the final piece of the arch has been put in place! Yeehaw!

Just about all the new ramps are open to traffic. There have been exponential signs of congestion ease ever since now that all traces of the old, obsolete and highly dilapidated bridges are gone!

Won't be too long now!
Old August 5th, 2016, 04:54 PM   #11723
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I-35, Austin, Texas

I-35 through Austin has long been one of the biggest bottlenecks in Texas. They want to 'improve mobility' while minimizing the right-of-way requirements.

I-35 is separated in three projects, called 'South10', 'Central7' and 'North16'. The numbers indicate the distance of the project in miles, so 33 miles or 53 kilometers in total.

The plan is roughly the same for each segment, construct one tolled express lane in each direction. This would result in one of the longest express lanes in the country.

Construction is scheduled to begin in 2020. The overall cost is estimated at $ 1.3-1.4 billion, or over $ 1.5 billion if 'Central7' would be constructed below grade.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, FM 2258, mcarling liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:25 AM   #11724
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I-35 through Austin has long been one of the biggest bottlenecks in Texas. They want to 'improve mobility' while minimizing the right-of-way requirements.

I-35 is separated in three projects, called 'South10', 'Central7' and 'North16'. The numbers indicate the distance of the project in miles, so 33 miles or 53 kilometers in total.

The plan is roughly the same for each segment, construct one tolled express lane in each direction. This would result in one of the longest express lanes in the country.

Construction is scheduled to begin in 2020. The overall cost is estimated at $ 1.3-1.4 billion, or over $ 1.5 billion if 'Central7' would be constructed below grade.
I don't think one express lane in each direction will make that much of a difference. I drove there a 2 years ago and it did feel damn busy.

But it applies to I-35 all the way from San Antonio to Austin. It still looks and feels like a "rural" freeway but now the whole area is becoming one long chain of suburbs, with corresponding heavy traffic.

But at least they now have the nice and empty tolled Hwy 130 as "some" alternative.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:45 AM   #11725
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

In my opinion, they need to start introducing some non-tolled freeway capacity in the Austin metro. I actually don't mind toll freeways in urban settings, but I think Austin has gone overboard.
Old August 8th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #11726
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

I always thought it was the closely spaced exits in downtown Austin that create a lot of merging activity and also back up slow moving traffic onto the main road.

Express lanes sound like just another toll road, get people to pay to bypass a bad highway configuration instead of just fixing right the first time for everyone. Typical. It's not like the project isn't costing taxpayers billions already /s

I wish 35 in central Austin was like Central Expressway in Dallas around Haskell. There's space between the feeders for a trenched freeway with an extra lane. That extra lane would support 2-lane exits onto Cesar Chavez and Riverside, and those intersections would be widened with extra turn lanes from 3 to 5 (2 left, 2 straight, 1 right) as they could be cantilevered over the trenched road.

That way more traffic can immediately exit and you could dump the extra lane instead of merging it on either end. Exiting cars can jockey for their lanes sooner(going right, left, straight?) and stopped cars at the lights will spread out horizontally(across more lanes) instead of vertically(down the ramp and onto the freeway).

Another thing that opens up possibilities is how the Plaza Satillo plan will restore the street grid across the railroad tracks in the neighborhood to the east of downtown and restore north-south movement. So feeder roads wouldn't need to support local traffic anymore. Do we need them at all? With them and the u-turn at the railroad tracks gone more options and geometry for widening the road is freed up. There could be one high capacity exit for East 7th and those other city streets could cross directly. That would help knit the area together and set the stage for something like a deck park if you went below grade.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; August 8th, 2016 at 04:53 AM.
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #11727
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 265, Kentucky-Indiana

The East End Crossing of Interstate 265 at Louisville, Kentucky.

Old August 9th, 2016, 07:31 PM   #11728
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-35 Lenexa, Kansas

A new diverging diamond interchange (DDI) will open soon at the I-35 / 95th Street interchange in Lenexa, Kansas (a suburb of Kansas City).

Old August 10th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #11729
Joshua Dodd

That's sexy
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 01:27 AM   #11730
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A new diverging diamond interchange (DDI) will open soon at the I-35 / 95th Street interchange in Lenexa, Kansas (a suburb of Kansas City).

Must be one of the few places in America where you can find a roundabout/traffic circle
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 02:32 AM   #11731
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Must be one of the few places in America where you can find a roundabout/traffic circle
Rotaries? They're more common then you think.

brewerfan386 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 02:58 AM   #11732
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

Looking through some old unpublished photos makes me really miss the rainy season:

Rainy traffic on I-5 by SounderBruce, on Flickr
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #11733
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

Renderings of ALDOT's I-20/59 bridge replacement in downtown Birmingham.

http://www.5920bridge.com/the-project/visual-gallery/
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #11734
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
It depends on the area, but they're quite common in some places. this website estimates there are 5,000 modern roundabouts in the U.S., with 'hundreds more constructed each year'.
Old August 10th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #11735
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
They're all over Fort Worth, actually, and are common centerpieces in some rural Texas town squares.

Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #11736
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

They're building a 7th one in my town.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #11737
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Oh I see.

There used to be a notion that when most Americans encounter roundabouts/rotaries/traffic circles, they either:
-hated them
-get confused

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/...et-map/408598/

But I guess now that more of these circles are being built, I guess more and more drivers get used to them...........as well as the education, knowledge and skills are being passed on to more American drivers and now they know what to do when they encounter 'the circle'.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 02:15 AM   #11738
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

yup. Same thing in Canada, they essentially didn't exist until 10 years ago or so. Slowly becoming more common, but its taking time. More and more people are starting to understand them.

The one big issue is that absolutely nobody signals their intention to exit the roundabout, they just leave. its a minor issue as you don't know if the person is exiting where you are entering or not, meaning you are unsure of whether you can enter the roundabout.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #11739
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 840, Tennessee

Tennessee Adds New 77 Miles of Highway to Interstate System

State Route 840 Now Designated as Interstate 840

The Tennessee Department of Transportation has received approval from the Federal Highway Administration to designate State Route 840 as Interstate 840. The change was requested to encourage more economic growth along the corridor and more traffic diversion around Middle Tennessee’s urban core.

The primary purpose of SR 840 when it was initiated in 1986 was to promote economic development by improving access to the many communities located along the route. Since then, more than 20 major industrial sites have opened directly adjacent to SR 840. Having an interstate designation could encourage more industries to consider locating in Middle Tennessee, which increases employment opportunities for the state.

Interstates also provide a level of expectation and confidence for drivers. Motorists can maintain a higher speed and avoid congestion that may be found on state routes. TDOT anticipates the interstate designation will encourage passenger and freight traffic moving through the state to take the route, which will help to reduce congestion in Nashville and surrounding areas.

TDOT will begin installing I-840 signage next week, and expects the work to be complete late this year. The cost to replace signs on state routes and interstates is $230,000.

The 840 corridor was completed in 2012, providing access to Interstate 40 west and east of Nashville, along with connections to Interstates 24 and 65. It travels through Dickson, Hickman, Williamson, and Wilson Counties.
Press release: https://tn.gov/tdot/news/44772

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old August 14th, 2016, 09:27 PM   #11740
TrueBulgarian
Meditate on this, I will

Likes (Received): 2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The one big issue is that absolutely nobody signals their intention to exit the roundabout, they just leave. its a minor issue as you don't know if the person is exiting where you are entering or not, meaning you are unsure of whether you can enter the roundabout.
From my limited driving experience in the US, I've also noticed that most drivers fail to choose the proper lane before entering the roundabout and while being in it. There's certainly a need for more of these:

TrueBulgarian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban