daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #1161
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I believe that it will connect the four-lane parts of US 93 on either side to each other.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #1162
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
After driving in Southern California, I had an impression that they really prefer concrete surface for their motorways. But then, they have a huge motorway network, so I would guess concrete works better in terms of cost.
Texas seems to do the same thing. In the Austin area we just got about 50 miles of new tollways and they're all built of beautiful "whistling" concrete. I've loved that sound ever since I was a kid. In the Houston area I've noticed that some streets are built with concrete surfaces. I like it much better than asphalt, especially in the rain.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #1163
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Well, even the new A113 in Berlin was built exclusively from concrete I would still prefer asphalt even if only because it is much less noisy and provides smoother ride than concrete. I am glad that in the Northwest they build most of the roads from asphalt
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #1164
taiwanesedrummer36

Likes (Received): 0

Hi, i'm new to this thread, and in Seattle and Portland, concrete and asphalt are both used in freeway resurfacing and/or reconstruction, depending on the area. Maybe that's why our freeways suck.

Washington state:

Interstate 5, heading south looking at the state capitol, Olympia

Interstate 5 southbound, Olympia

Interstate 5 southbound, Olympia

Interstate 5 northbound express lanes, Seattle

Portland

Interstate 205 southbound, with light rail in median, Portland

Interstate 84 westbound, Portland

Interstate 84 westbound, Portland

Interstate 5 & Interstate 405 northern interchange, Portland

Last edited by taiwanesedrummer36; October 6th, 2007 at 09:23 AM.
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #1165
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Isn't Washington's state capitol in Olympia?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #1166
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Isn't Washington's state capitol in Olympia?

Mike
Yes, you are correct.

The first 3 pictures are of Interstate 5 in Olympia (I probably should have said that earlier).
Old October 15th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1167
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Quote:
New Minnesota bridge contract

he replacement Interstate 35W bridge in Minneapolis, Minnesota will be a 370.6m concrete span, completed by Christmas Eve 2008, and is being designed so that it will last well into the next century. State officials have signed a US$234 million contract with a joint venture, which is led by Colorado-based Flatiron Constructors and includes Seattle-based Manson Construction, Florida-based Johnson Bros and Figg Engineering, also of Florida. Safety will be a key design feature of the new I-35W bridge, which will not be fracture critical unlike the failed structure it replaces. The old steel-girder bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River on August 1st, killing 13 and the cause of the failure remains under investigation. The new bridge will have observation decks around the main piers, sculptural elements near the approaches and decorative lighting in the form of twin stylised arches rising along the roadway.
Local workers will be used to build the bridge and most of the construction will take place in Minnesota. Prefabricated parts of the bridge will be assembled in St Paul and then floated on barges to the site.

There has been a legal dispute over how the joint venture led by Flatiron Constructors won the contract however. Protests were made by two of the three unsuccessful bidders, however the Minnesota Department of Administration sided with the Minnesota Department of Transportation on Monday, recommending that the state approve the award after finding no fault with how MnDOT scored the proposals, even though Flatiron's bid was $57 million more than the lowest bid. A legal spokesman for the two firms contesting the award said he will investigate the matter further before deciding on a course of action for his clients.
Are there now many more traffic jams because of the missing bridge in Minneapolis?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #1168
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Are there now many more traffic jams because of the missing bridge in Minneapolis?
I heard that traffic actually decreased, because people utilized the transit system there.
Old October 20th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #1169
OneRinconHill

I would never want to drive on this viaduct. It was designed in the same fashion as the Embarcadero freeway and the Cypress Structure. I'm surprised that it survived Nisqually, but I don't think it'll withstand another earthquake. They need to hurry up and put something else there. It might also be good for Seattle to open up the waterfront.
OneRinconHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM   #1170
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Due to wildfires in Southern California, some interstates and other freeways are closed.

The I-5, I-15 and fwy 22 are totally jammed, despite the local time; 3 am.

(partial) closures;

Hwy 126 both directions
133 Freeway some ramps closed
14 Freeway (Antelope Valley Freeway) ramps closed
91 Freeway ramp to 241 tollway closed
I-15 Freeway closed for trucks & high profile vehicles. Downed power lines.
Terminal Island Freeway, ramps closed (inside urban area!)
I-10 San Bernardino Freeway, brush fires
I-15 Freeway, brush fires & downed wires
I-215 freeway brush fires
I-15 closed between hy 78 and hy 79 in the San Diego vicinity due to fires
Hwy-905 fires, 4 of 12 lanes open.;
I-5 at San Ysidro border crossing, 16 of 24 lanes open.

A lot of local roads are closed in the vicinity of Los Angeles and San Diego areas.

Wind advisory issued - I-8 between E. Willows Rd and Imperial County Line is CLOSED to all high profile vehicles and motorcycles. Passenger vehicles and small trucks allowed through at this time.

A lot of wind warnings too.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM   #1171
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Reminds me of jams caused by Katrina and Rita.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:18 PM   #1172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Los Angeles traffic at 8.15 am local time;

[IMG]http://i21.************/11kicf8.png[/IMG]

1cm = ~ 5 - 10km.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1173
ChrisZwolle
Road user

210 Frwy - Eastbound
Between Day Creek Blvd and Cherry Av - Brush Fire blocking the #1, #2 and #3 lanes / only left lane gets by - also NB I-15 connector ramp to EB 210 and EB 210 connectorramp to NB I-15 closed

I-215 Frwy - Southbound
Is closed in both directions between Palm Av and I-15 Frwy (Devore) due to Brush Fire

101 Ventura Frwy - Southbound
Jammed Westlake Blvd to I-405/San Diego Frwy Delay of 59 minutes
Quite a traffic jam, such delay on one stretch of road.

210 Frwy - Westbound
Jammed 57 Frwy to Lake Av Delay of 47 minutes
Another huge delay.

60 Pomona Frwy - Westbound
Jammed 71 Chino Valley Frwy to I-5/101 Santa Ana Frwy Delay of 52 minutes
In the Netherlands, they only say "more as 20 minutes delay".

I-10 San Bernardino Frwy - Westbound
Jammed 57 Orange Frwy to I-710/Long Beach Frwy Delay of 42 minutes
I wouldn't want to drive there now..

I-405 San Diego Frwy - Southbound
Jammed 118/Ronald Reagan Frwy to Santa Monica Blvd Delay of 70 minutes
70 minutes...

I-405 San Diego Frwy - Northbound
Slow Goldenwest St/Bolsa Av to Venice Blvd Delay of 68 minutes
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1174
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
"more as 20 minutes delay"
More than (als/dan op z'n engels)
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #1175
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
210 Frwy - Eastbound
Between Day Creek Blvd and Cherry Av - Brush Fire blocking the #1, #2 and #3 lanes / only left lane gets by - also NB I-15 connector ramp to EB 210 and EB 210 connectorramp to NB I-15 closed

I-215 Frwy - Southbound
Is closed in both directions between Palm Av and I-15 Frwy (Devore) due to Brush Fire

101 Ventura Frwy - Southbound
Jammed Westlake Blvd to I-405/San Diego Frwy Delay of 59 minutes
Quite a traffic jam, such delay on one stretch of road.

210 Frwy - Westbound
Jammed 57 Frwy to Lake Av Delay of 47 minutes
Another huge delay.

60 Pomona Frwy - Westbound
Jammed 71 Chino Valley Frwy to I-5/101 Santa Ana Frwy Delay of 52 minutes
In the Netherlands, they only say "more as 20 minutes delay".

I-10 San Bernardino Frwy - Westbound
Jammed 57 Orange Frwy to I-710/Long Beach Frwy Delay of 42 minutes
I wouldn't want to drive there now..

I-405 San Diego Frwy - Southbound
Jammed 118/Ronald Reagan Frwy to Santa Monica Blvd Delay of 70 minutes
70 minutes...

I-405 San Diego Frwy - Northbound
Slow Goldenwest St/Bolsa Av to Venice Blvd Delay of 68 minutes
DAMN FIRES.

They're turning Southern California into HELL.

You're burning in Hell guys. HELL.

What's it like in Hell right now? Lots of smoke and ash in the air?
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #1176
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Transparent Soundproofing Walls

A new twist to highway sound walls: You can see through them
23 October 2007

CLEVELAND (AP) - The soundproofing walls that increasingly line highways, especially in densely populated areas, often have a brooding look. But transportation planners in the United States are beginning to borrow an idea that's common in Europe to make the freeway corridor more livable: see-through sound walls.

Such walls, erected on the south side of Interstate 71 in a blue-collar Cleveland neighborhood, will give the new home of St. Paul AME Church a window on the 90,000 vehicles passing daily.

The church and local leaders lobbied for the see-through exemption to raise the church's profile. Federal guidelines allow the see-through sound walls for churches, historic locations, parks, hospitals and schools.

See-through sound walls are relatively new, with more states looking into the option.

"They are not that common," said Doug Hecox, a spokesman with the Federal Highway Administration, which encourages states to consider aesthetics in highway planning. States decide on how they'll go about that.

Crews were already preparing the highway shoulder along I-71 for sound wall installation when the Rev. Gena Thornton, pastor of St. Paul, realized the view of her new church from the highway would be blocked by the hulking walls.

"Our concern was that we would be hidden behind the wall. We wanted people to be able to see," Thornton said.

"We felt that was a valid concern," said Mark Carpenter, an environmental engineer with the Ohio Department of Transportation. The agency will pay $5.8 million (euro4.1 million) for the overall project.

Thornton believes having the church visible to passing motorists helps promote its work. "It's a means of evangelism. A lot of people passing that spot will know that we are here," she said.

The clear panels, made of heavy-duty acrylic, cost more: about $32 (euro23) per square foot (0.09 square meter) compared with $20 (euro14) per square foot (0.09 square meter) for the traditional concrete walls. Still, the see-through panels can reduce the imposing, tunnel-effect that a walled highway might create.

The see-through panels will soften that effect, said city Council President Martin Sweeney. He heard complaints from members of the St. Paul congregation when they realized they were about to be walled off from the high-profile freeway view that they valued when they purchased the land for a new church building.

"We talked with them and begged and pleaded," Thornton said.

Next year, Virginia will install see-through sounds walls on the replacement Woodrow Wilson Bridge in Alexandria, Virginia, giving motorists a view of the Potomac River south of the Capitol and protecting a riverfront park from traffic noise.

In Dayton, homeowners wanted sound walls but the Dayton Art Institute didn't want to block Interstate 75 views of its Italian Renaissance-style facade, so the state offered the see-through compromise, ODOT's Barbara Elliston said. The project begins this fall.

In Akron, which got one of Ohio's first see-through sound wall installations in early summer, highway engineers used clear panels on the top quarter of the 16-foot (5-meter) high walls, providing privacy to nearby homes but allowing more sunlight into backyards.

Mike Madonio, Akron's design division manager, said it remains to be seen whether the panels will get dirty and scuffed in winter weather with blowing snow and highway salt along Interstate 77.

Most people like the sound walls to create a quieter neighborhood, Madonio said, but the see-through option might not appeal to some because of the perception that if you don't see the traffic, it's not as loud. "It's kind of an out-of-sight, out-of-mind philosophy," he said.

Kimberly Wood, 41, of Cleveland, lives one block from I-71 and takes family outings to a park next to the highway. She said she's noticed a big improvement in noise levels since the sound walls were installed -- perhaps a 50 percent cut in the park noise, especially truck horns.

As for the see-through walls that went up at the corner of the park, she said, "Anything they do to reduce the noise and improve the appearance is a plus."

------

On the Net:

Fed. Highway Admin.: http://www.fhwa.dot.gov

Ohio Dept. of Transportation: http://www.dot.state.oh.us

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #1177
ChrisZwolle
Road user

WTF we have such things for decades!

On the Dutch A28 near Zwolle:

A28 near Harderwijk:

A28 again near Zwolle:

A16 near Breda:

A16 near Breda, soundproof screen across a viaduct:

One of the newest; on the Dutch A16, environmentalists protested against this because birds could fly against it

Another huge one near Dordrecht on the A16:
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #1178
Euromast
Mast Malang

Likes (Received): 1388

yes these kind of shields are all over Holland

Ayyyyyy Baaaartyyyyy
Euromast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1179
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromast View Post
yes these kind of shields are all over Holland
And also the other 10 provinces!
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #1180
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

in Croatia we have few of these, but only on flyovers and viaducts. for instance, if a motorway has noise barriers and on that section it runs over flyover, at flyover barriers will be see-through

[IMG]http://i22.************/27y4xut.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i23.************/153acky.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i24.************/2mw5xg6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i20.************/52fcrl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i20.************/1zmifm9.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by x-type; October 24th, 2007 at 04:59 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban