daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2016, 10:47 PM   #11821
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Interstate 285, Atlanta, Georgia

Deal breaks ground on I-285/SR 400 interchange project

Gov. Nathan Deal, along with Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) Commissioner Russell McMurry and State Transportation Board member Mark Burkhalter, today broke ground for the Interstate 285/State Route 400 interchange improvement project. This project, which follows the design-build-finance construction method and serves as a model for public-private partnerships, is expected to be completed in 2020.

The I-285/SR 400 interchange improvement project includes improvements on I-285 from west of Roswell Road in Fulton County, to east of Ashford Dunwoody in DeKalb County (4.3 miles) and on SR 400 from the Glenridge Connector to Spalding Drive (6.2 miles). The enhancements include construction of new flyover ramps, new collector-distributor lanes and other facilities to aid east-west travel on I-285 and north-south travel along SR 400. The project also includes a diverging diamond interchange on Abernathy Road at SR 400 and an extension of the PATH 400 trail system to inside the perimeter.

The total project budget is approximately $800 million.
Full press release: https://gov.georgia.gov/press-releas...change-project

A render of the I-285 / GA-400 interchange.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:04 PM   #11822
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 49, Northwest Arkansas

New Lanes Open on Interstate 49 in Washington and Benton Counties

Eight miles of newly constructed inside lanes on I-49 in Johnson and Springdale will be opened to traffic, according to Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department (AHTD) officials.

Beginning Thursday night, November 3 at 8:00 p.m. the completed inside lanes for northbound and southbound I-49 from Mile Marker 68 (south of Johnson Mill Boulevard) to the Wagon Wheel Road interchange (Exit 76) will be opened to traffic.
Full press release: http://arkansashighways.com/news/2016/NR%2016-381.pdf

This section has been widened from four to six lanes. It joins a six-lane segment north of Wagon Wheel Road that was expanded in 2014.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Xpressway liked this post
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:05 PM   #11823
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Also, why does the concrete arch bridge end in the middle of a channel in the image when both ends are on dry land in reality?
The Trinity River seasonally floods. While the channel looks like a glorified creek during the dry season, the riverbed is bounded by levees a half a mile (IIRC?) apart. The region between the levees floods during the wet season.

It used to be that it was just ignored. Now they're turning the bottoms into a grand park, which is great both for recreation (the Dallas region lacks major parks) and flood control.
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:21 PM   #11824
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 / I-295 Jacksonville, Florida

Gov. Scott Kicks-Off I-95/I-295 North Interchange Project in Jacksonville

Today, Governor Rick Scott joined state and local officials to announce the kick-off of the I-95/I-295 North Interchange project in Duval County. The project will update the existing interchange to help improve safety and traffic flow for the Jacksonville community while also enhancing access to JAXPORT facilities. The State of Florida invested $103 million into the project.

The design and construction of the $177 million project has been funded with state and federal dollars. The project is expected to take three and a half years, with the reconfiguration complete in the summer of 2020.
Full press release: http://www.flgov.com/2016/11/03/gov-...-jacksonville/

They will add two direct connectors and widen parts of I-95 and I-295.

design schematic:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ryme Intrinseca, Luki_SL, Xpressway liked this post
Old November 4th, 2016, 12:03 AM   #11825
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Gov. Scott Kicks-Off I-95/I-295 North Interchange Project in Jacksonville

Today, Governor Rick Scott joined state and local officials to announce the kick-off of the I-95/I-295 North Interchange project in Duval County. The project will update the existing interchange to help improve safety and traffic flow for the Jacksonville community while also enhancing access to JAXPORT facilities. The State of Florida invested $103 million into the project.

The design and construction of the $177 million project has been funded with state and federal dollars. The project is expected to take three and a half years, with the reconfiguration complete in the summer of 2020.
Full press release: http://www.flgov.com/2016/11/03/gov-...-jacksonville/

They will add two direct connectors and widen parts of I-95 and I-295.

design schematic:
Thanks for this. Looking at the existing interchange, you could say the project is actually to replace two direct connectors (i.e. left hand exits) with semi-direct connectors. Though muddying the waters further, the existing connectors are in a windmill-type configuration so not really all that 'direct'.

Interestingly, it looks like an earlier scheme provided the existing semi-direct ramp to replace the loop in the SW corner, rather than one of the more obviously sub-standard offside exits. I would guess the explanation is turning volumes being significantly greater on the loop.

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; November 4th, 2016 at 12:09 AM.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #11826
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Flyovers are often referred to as 'direct connectors' as opposed to loop ramps or traffic signals, especially in Texas.
Old November 4th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #11827
Ryme Intrinseca

Quote:
Flyovers are often referred to as 'direct connectors' as opposed to loop ramps or traffic signals, especially in Texas.
Oh yes, I wasn't correcting you, I know terminology varies. I'm from the UK so my instinct is to use that terminology
http://www.standardsforhighways.co.u...on2/td3994.pdf
Old November 4th, 2016, 10:42 PM   #11828
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 66, Virginia

Ferrovial picked as preferred proposer for Virginia’s I-66, representing an investment of over €3 billion

Cintra, a subsidiary of Ferrovial, in consortium with infrastructure fund Meridiam, has been chosen by the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) as Preferred Proposer to design, build, finance, operate and maintain the Transform 66 project on Interstate 66, worth over 3 billion euro. The project involves building 35 kilometers along the I-66 corridor between Route 29, in the environs of Gainesville, and I-495, the Capital Beltway, in Fairfax County.

Financial closure is expected next summer. Construction is scheduled to be completed by 2022, and the concession runs for 50 years.
Full press release: http://www.ferrovial.com/en/press-ro...virginia-i-66/
Governor McAuliffe Announces Selection of Private Sector Team to Finance and Deliver I-66 Outside the Beltway Project in Northern Virginia

Governor Terry McAuliffe today announced that the Commonwealth has selected Express Mobility Partners to build express lanes on I-66 Outside the Beltway, following a 16-month procurement process. Express Mobility Partners, a consortium of Cintra, Meridiam, Ferrovial Agroman US and Allan Myers VA, Inc., will finance, design, build, maintain and operate the project under the Public-Private Transportation Act.

* Express Mobility Partners will have the right to collect and set dynamic tolls on the 66 Express Lanes for 50 years;
* Express Mobility Partners will provide $500M at financial close as a concession payment to the Commonwealth;
* Express Mobility Partners will contribute $800M over the next 50 years to build and operate transit projects in the I-66 corridor;
* Express Mobility Partners will provide $350M over the next 50 years to the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority for future additional projects to reduce congestion in the I-66 corridor;
* Two express lanes alongside three regular lanes in each direction, with space in the median for future transit (vehicles with three or more people travel the express lanes for free and all other drivers have the choice to use the express lanes when paying a variable toll, general purpose lanes free to all traffic)
Full press release: http://governor.virginia.gov/newsroo...rticleId=18246

This is one of the largest PPP/P3 contracts in U.S. highway construction history, at over $ 3 billion.

A couple of notes on this project though.

The concession is unusually long, at 50 years. There has been a trend in the U.S. to lease toll roads for unusually long periods (some up to 90 years even). European PPP contracts are usually between 20 and 30 years in duration. It's difficult to forecast what the traffic conditions, demographics and socio-economic circumstances will be so far in the future. There is also some debate whether present-day politicians should make decisions that alter the circumstances decades into the future. Usually these contracts are very difficult and/or expensive to get out of.

Drivers will have to pay tolls to fund other things than just this road expansion, such as the mentioned $ 500 million for the general fund, $ 800 million for transit and $ 350 million for other projects.

Furthermore, it seems that Express Mobility Partners is free to set the toll rates to whatever they like. Given that there will be only three untolled general purpose lanes, there will be heavy congestion on the free lanes, so drivers will either face long delays or pay hefty tolls. It's like choosing between two presidential candidates that are both unlikeable.

This whole concept doesn't sound particularly beneficial to commuters, though the express lane concept in itself is not a bad idea.
Old November 5th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #11829
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

The FAQ on the website shows that, in two sections of I-66, there's 42' worth of median space labeled for future transit expansion. Ostensibly, this will be for a future Orange Line extension to Centreville (see comments).

I know construction is supposed to begin next year, but I haven't found an estimated timeline.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #11830
Ryme Intrinseca

Quote:

The concession is unusually long, at 50 years. There has been a trend in the U.S. to lease toll roads for unusually long periods (some up to 90 years even). European PPP contracts are usually between 20 and 30 years in duration.
The only major toll road in the UK, the M6 Toll, has a 50 year concession (technically 53 to allow 3 years for construction). Even on these terms the project has been a massive financial failure and is now owned by the creditors (a consortium of banks), who are trying to sell it.
Old November 5th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #11831
Ryme Intrinseca

[duplicate]

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; November 12th, 2016 at 01:49 AM.
Old November 5th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #11832
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Ben Franklin Bridge

Visit the New Jersey Section

nick.english.dept liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 01:15 AM   #11833
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Where was the third one going to be? Are there any pictures of it?

And what is that big grey stripe going under the bridges (and seemingly through a tunnel?) along the river on the far bank?

Also, why does the concrete arch bridge end in the middle of a channel in the image when both ends are on dry land in reality?
The third signature bridge was supposed to be for 35, but that project was nixed due to funding. The grey stripe is the proposed tollway that will follow along the river. This is the master-plan, to flood the Trinity bottoms and turn it into a giant lake/park. The bridge work has to be completed first. Bridge work is almost done so construction on the park and lakes should start within the next two years.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 04:03 AM   #11834
gibranalnn
Metabee

Likes (Received): 115

Btw, is there a (or are there) bridge(s) in Seattle that use the Sosrobahu method?

"Hanja bangsa
jang menghargai
pahlawan pahlawannja
dapat mendjadi
bangsa jang besar"

--President Sukarno
gibranalnn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #11835
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 265, Kentucky-Indiana

The 'East End Crossing' near Louisville, Kentucky will open 'in weeks, not months'.

Old November 12th, 2016, 02:28 AM   #11836
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

what a weird interchange, wonder why they just didn't send the ramp on the side as a traditional half-diamond and save the overpass...
Old November 12th, 2016, 02:32 AM   #11837
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Constructing the overpass was probably cheaper than purchasing and bulldozing at least one of those houses on the right.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 03:31 AM   #11838
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
what a weird interchange, wonder why they just didn't send the ramp on the side as a traditional half-diamond and save the overpass...
So that the ramps meet at one lighted intersection with the crossroad, instead of two intersections.
Old November 12th, 2016, 05:20 AM   #11839
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

There's been extensive coverage on this project from Indiana native/urbanist Aaron Renn:

http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/09/1...gedy-to-farce/

The tunnel was appearently the result out of local NIMBY:ism (it's a wealthy suburb to Louisville):
http://www.urbanophile.com/2012/01/1...-mini-big-dig/

Quote:
But the Prospect residents were never going to give up. As part of their plan to kill the East End bridge, they managed to get the Dumanard Estate put onto the National Register of Historic Places to make it much more difficult to route a roadway through it. After the original listing that included the home and gardens, the listing was later expanded to include the entire 55-acre grounds.

If you are wondering how building two bridges got to be $4.1 billion in the first place, this is an example of how. To avoid impacting this single historic property, Kentucky agreed to build a $261 million tunnel underneath the estate.

The stunning thing about this tunnel is that the path of the road doesn’t actually affect any buildings, as this graphic from Broken Sidewalk illustrates
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2016, 06:09 AM   #11840
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Do you not see the houses right there? And all you can say about the images is "weird interchange". This project is beautiful. The way they build transportation infrastructure in the US is just on another level compared to Canada. Beautiful highway, beautiful bridge
VoltAmps no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban