daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #11841
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19119

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltAmps View Post
Do you not see the houses right there? And all you can say about the images is "weird interchange". This project is beautiful. The way they build transportation infrastructure in the US is just on another level compared to Canada. Beautiful highway, beautiful bridge
Don't be too bombastic. This is nice project but nothing too spectacular. Bridge is OK, but not particularly unique.

And Kanadzie comment wasn't really negative, he just voiced his surprise by unusual layout of the junction.

BTW, infrastructure in the US and in Canada is quite comparable, at least when one is looking as an outsider from across the pond.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2016, 01:16 AM   #11842
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Do you not see the houses right there? And all you can say about the images is "weird interchange". This project is beautiful. The way they build transportation infrastructure in the US is just on another level compared to Canada. Beautiful highway, beautiful bridge
They should have just cut through the hill, but some rich NIMBY forced them to tunnel under. Hopefully these are the sort of idiot regulations Trump will do away with to make infrastructure much cheaper.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 02:24 AM   #11843
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

There was critical habitat involved, and the neighbors understandably have the right to be discomfited as little as possible given the already massive disturbance. This is true no matter the income level of the residents is.

jchernin liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:45 AM   #11844
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschmuck View Post
So that the ramps meet at one lighted intersection with the crossroad, instead of two intersections.
That's actually a brilliant idea
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 06:59 AM   #11845
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
They should have just cut through the hill, but some rich NIMBY forced them to tunnel under. Hopefully these are the sort of idiot regulations Trump will do away with to make infrastructure much cheaper.
It's America, the wealthy will always win no matter the expense. Regulations didn't force them to build a tunnel, a handful of upper middle class/wealthy people did.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #11846
VoltAmps

Likes (Received): 49

Italy builds tunnels like it's going out of style and everyone comments on how cool it is. But when it's done in the US suddenly it's pointless and shouldn't be done. This place is hilarious
Old November 14th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #11847
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Louisville, Kentucky

The reconstructed I-64 / I-65 interchange in Louisville, Kentucky.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #11848
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Italy builds tunnels like it's going out of style and everyone comments on how cool it is. But when it's done in the US suddenly it's pointless and shouldn't be done.
Probably because Italy is building them to get through mountains rather than to placate NIMBYs.

Kanadzie liked this post
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #11849
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 405, California

OCTA Awards $1.2 Billion Contract for I-405 Project

The Orange County Transportation Authority’s board of directors today selected OC 405 Partners to design and construct the I-405 Improvement Project, a major step in the agency’s effort to speed up travel times for roughly 370,000 daily drivers between Costa Mesa and the Los Angeles County line.

The project, set to begin construction next year, includes adding one regular lane in each direction – as promised in Measure M, Orange County’s half-cent sales tax for transportation improvements – and building the 405 Express Lanes in the center of the freeway.

The total I-405 Improvement Project cost is $1.9 billion and will be funded with a combination of local, state and federal funds. OCTA is currently pursuing a federal TIFIA loan to fund a significant portion of the project.

The 405 Express Lanes portion of the project is being modeled after the successful 91 Express Lanes, owned and operated by OCTA. With the 405 Express Lanes, solo drivers will have the choice to pay a toll to speed up their commute. Carpools of two or more people can use the 405 Express Lanes for free for the first 3 ˝ years after opening. Cars with three or more people will use the express lanes for free at all times.
Full press release: https://www.octa.net/News/Freeways/OCTA-Awards-$1-2-Billion-Contract-for-I-405-Project/

This is a huge project, one of the largest freeway projects in the Greater Los Angeles area.

I-405 will be expanded to a 'typical section' of 14 lanes, with 5 general purpose and 2 express lanes each way.

The current freeway has 10 lanes, 4 GP and 1 HOV. The HOV lane will be incorporated into the express lane. The project is very similar to the SR-91 Riverside Freeway, which also has 5 GP and 2 EL.

Project map:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

jchernin, Luki_SL liked this post
Old November 15th, 2016, 10:56 PM   #11850
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Isn't the 405 already 14 lanes at Seal Beach? I believe this short section between the interchanges for the 22 is the busiest freeway in the US so I wouldn't be surprised if the extra six lanes are added onto that...
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #11851
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-405 was recently expanded to 16 lanes at Seal Beach. They added a second HOV lane in each direction. I'm not entirely sure if they want to expand it further. The rest of the 405 will have its HOV lane converted to an express lane.

It's already a massive freeway at that point, with 8 lanes each way. But it's also the busiest stretch of road in the United States. The most recent traffic count data from 2014 shows 377,000 vehicles per day (peak month volumes up to 385,000 vehicles per day).
Old November 16th, 2016, 12:24 AM   #11852
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Exactly that stretch is seriously busy and can be a nightmare during rush hour. If only Seattle would build our I-405 properly like the one in Orange County is. They were more than happy to build express toll lanes though.

Quote:
Italy builds tunnels like it's going out of style and everyone comments on how cool it is. But when it's done in the US suddenly it's pointless and shouldn't be done. This place is hilarious
I don't think anyone is arguing against tunnels. I think the point was that millions of dollars extra were spent to satisfy a small group of well off people. Italy is a mountainous country, however Kentucky only has some rolling hills for the most part.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:31 PM   #11853
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-410, San Antonio, Texas

TxDOT posted an announcement for an open house for a significant expansion project of I-410 in western and southwestern San Antonio. A 16 mile stretch of freeway will be upgraded, with direct connectors replacing the cloverleafs at I-35 and US 90, in addition to SH 151 which is already under construction.
The proposed I-410SW Project includes the following transportation improvements:

* upgrading ramps and direct connectors at the I-410/US 90 and I-410/I-35 interchanges
* constructing additional travel lanes and widening existing travel lanes
* constructing new bridges
* widening existing frontage roads
* providing bike and pedestrian accommodations
The present-day I-410 is a four-to-six-lane freeway with frontage roads. The southern half of the project is mostly a four-lane freeway.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old November 18th, 2016, 05:20 PM   #11854
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

I-405 is nuts as it is. Several improvements have kept it from running to a 24/7 standstill like the Sepulveda pass widening and Wilshire Blvd interchange. But I still think its main failing is that there are too many exits too close to each other, resulting in lots of weaving across lanes. The 405/101 interchange is also in dire need of upgrading, some of the turns have a 20 mph speed limit.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #11855
LAYiddo
Not in L.A.

Likes (Received): 3237

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
OCTA Awards $1.2 Billion Contract for I-405 Project

The Orange County Transportation Authority’s board of directors today selected OC 405 Partners to design and construct the I-405 Improvement Project, a major step in the agency’s effort to speed up travel times for roughly 370,000 daily drivers between Costa Mesa and the Los Angeles County line.

The project, set to begin construction next year, includes adding one regular lane in each direction – as promised in Measure M, Orange County’s half-cent sales tax for transportation improvements – and building the 405 Express Lanes in the center of the freeway.

The total I-405 Improvement Project cost is $1.9 billion and will be funded with a combination of local, state and federal funds. OCTA is currently pursuing a federal TIFIA loan to fund a significant portion of the project.

The 405 Express Lanes portion of the project is being modeled after the successful 91 Express Lanes, owned and operated by OCTA. With the 405 Express Lanes, solo drivers will have the choice to pay a toll to speed up their commute. Carpools of two or more people can use the 405 Express Lanes for free for the first 3 ˝ years after opening. Cars with three or more people will use the express lanes for free at all times.
Full press release: https://www.octa.net/News/Freeways/OCTA-Awards-$1-2-Billion-Contract-for-I-405-Project/

This is a huge project, one of the largest freeway projects in the Greater Los Angeles area.

I-405 will be expanded to a 'typical section' of 14 lanes, with 5 general purpose and 2 express lanes each way.

The current freeway has 10 lanes, 4 GP and 1 HOV. The HOV lane will be incorporated into the express lane. The project is very similar to the SR-91 Riverside Freeway, which also has 5 GP and 2 EL.

Project map:
Hopefully they'll do a better job than that disaster of a project widening the 405 through the Sepulveda Pass. I lived through virtually every day of that mess.
LAYiddo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #11856
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some photos of Interstate 35 through Austin:

Larger versions can be found here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/TX/I/35/index.html

Luki_SL, ChrisZwolle, Bender, ilyan, Ices77 and 6 others liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 01:33 AM   #11857
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Some photos of Interstate 820 in Texas, just north of Fort Worth. In recent years, this freeway has been reconstructed with express toll lanes in the median of an otherwise four lane freeway:

For more photos and to access the larger versions of these photos, click below:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/TX/I/820/index.html
Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:13 PM   #11858
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 16168

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #11859
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Dallas Horsehoe Project November update:

All bridge work should be done by March of 2017

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6841JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6777JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6764JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6990JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6937JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6921JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6917JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6903JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6694JPG.jpg

http://dallashorseshoe.com/wp-conten...GL_6736JPG.jpg

Ices77, EasySeven liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; November 24th, 2016 at 10:14 PM. Reason: changed 10 IMG tags to URL. 3679 pixels is too large
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 04:05 PM   #11860
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Great photos but.... 3600 px wide is WAYYY to large.

jchernin, geogregor, xXFallenXx liked this post

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban