daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #11861
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-244, Tulsa, Oklahoma

An unusual interchange in Tulsa.

Interstate 244 has recently been reconstructed. All asphalt east of downtown has been replaced by concrete.
The entire freeway has been rebuilt, but not expanded, as eight lanes is more than sufficient for the 68,000 vehicles per day.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Xpressway liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2016, 05:24 PM   #11862
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

US interstates can sometimes be enigmas.

Check out this loop ramp from I-35E to I-635 in Dallas. This loop ramp departs from the left side of the northbound lanes of I-35E and then loops overtop of I-35E to join I-635. It would be hard to design a freeway with poorer geometry than this. Yet, 10 miles to the east on I-635 stands the High-Five interchange which is arguably the pinnacle of urban freeway design in America.

nick.english.dept liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 01:30 AM   #11863
sonysnob

Some photos of the completed Texpress Lanes along I-635 in northern Dallas:

Links to full size photos, and about 40 additional photos are available here:
http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/TX/I/635/index.html

Luki_SL, Ices77, Highway89, Bender, Mr. Pollo and 7 others liked this post

Last edited by sonysnob; November 28th, 2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old November 28th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #11864
hacci
Qué oso contigo wey

Likes (Received): 4337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post

Check out this loop ramp from I-35E to I-635 in Dallas. This loop ramp departs from the left side of the northbound lanes of I-35E and then loops overtop of I-35E to join I-635. It would be hard to design a freeway with poorer geometry than this. Yet, 10 miles to the east on I-635 stands the High-Five interchange which is arguably the pinnacle of urban freeway design in America.

It's funny because I've passed thru that ramp and it's truly ridiculous to drive there.

El que me diga cuántas pelusas se le ven a mis fotos se gana un desayuno conmigo en una taqueria callejera del sur de la Ciudad de México:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
hacci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #11865
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

I thought Clearview was dead and buried. TXDOT are still using it for new builds?
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #11866
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exethalion View Post
I thought Clearview was dead and buried. TXDOT are still using it for new builds?
Approval of clearview has been rescinded. But this project was completed before that decision was made. I would think there would be new projects opening today, and maybe for the next few years that will still use clearview simply because the sign design had been completed before the change had been made.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old November 30th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #11867
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-435, Kansas City, Kansas

Final Milestone Celebrated on Mega Johnson County Gateway Project

The large, complex Johnson County Gateway project, expected to fully open early next week, was celebrated by local, state and federal officials today in Lenexa.

The ribbon-cutting at Crowne Plaza Hotel marked the substantial completion of Kansas’ first design-build project. The $288 million Gateway has been under construction for 2½ years at the convergence of Interstates 35 and 435 and K-10.

“The Gateway project will be a means of improved travel for tens of thousands of commuters. With the addition of 56 new highway lane miles and more than 27 new and rehabbed bridges, the project provides a conduit for increased economic development, safe travel and the movement of freight,” said Gov. Sam Brownback.

The Gateway is the state’s first major design-build project, a construction method authorized under the T-WORKS transportation program. Under this approach, the design-build team works under a single contract with the project owner to provide design and construction services. This differs from the traditional design-bid-build method.

More than 230,000 vehicles travel the Gateway corridor daily.
Full press release: http://jocogateway.com/final-milesto...teway-project/

A successful project is now completed. They expanded the I-435 corridor and interchanges with I-35 and K-10 significantly, the widest portion has been expanded from 8 to 18 lanes.

Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:58 PM   #11868
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post

Keep in mind that there are three generations of flyovers for this interchange. It was originally a Y interchange.

Last edited by Joshua Dodd; December 2nd, 2016 at 04:08 PM.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:20 PM   #11869
LAYiddo
Not in L.A.

Likes (Received): 3242

Staggering ineptitude from The Los Angeles Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 55% over budget, 25% over schedule and absolutely no discernible improvement in traffic. $1.61 Billion of taxpayers money. This comes to light a few weeks after L.A. voters approved Measure M to add a 1/2 cent sales tax increase to fund more MTA projects. I lived through 3 years of this project, driving past it everyday it was a shambles from start to finish.

Someone's head should roll for this:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...128-story.html

Quote:
The Metropolitan Transportation Authority has agreed to pay nearly $300 million more to the contractor of the 405 Freeway widening project, capping a years-long dispute over responsibility for schedule delays, design changes and cost overruns.

The settlement will push the cost of the controversial Sepulveda Pass project above $1.6 billion, about 55% higher than the original budget.

The $297.8-million agreement follows years of disagreements between Kiewit Corp. and Metro over how the freeway widening was managed. Kiewit has said in legal filings that Metro’s repeated changes to the project’s design and failure to identify and relocate utilities added significantly to delays.

The 10-mile northbound carpool lane through the Sepulveda Pass opened more than a year behind schedule. Its construction caused five years of traffic headaches on one of the nation’s most congested corridors.

Metro’s directors approved the settlement in closed session earlier this month. They will be asked Thursday to formally increase the project budget to nearly $1.61 billion.

“Frankly, there were deficiencies,” said Duarte Mayor John Fasana, the chairman of the Metro board, referring to how the agency handled the project. Metro could have continued to negotiate the settlement, he said, but “we had some culpability, and it was time to move forward.”

In a report to directors, staff members wrote that the “significant lessons learned” from the 405 Freeway settlement included the importance of “detailed underground utilities investigations” before beginning a billion-dollar project.

Metro’s board of directors approved the settlement less than two weeks after voters approved a new half-cent sales tax to fund transit operations, highway projects and a dramatic expansion of the county rail network.

The expansion will include a multibillion-dollar, high-capacity rail tunnel through the Sepulveda Pass. The plans have already raised eyebrows among some Westside residents who endured five years of construction.

Still, advocates point out, the tunnel would provide a crucial link between the Westside and the San Fernando Valley — and would create more capacity than the 405’s carpool lane, which studies suggest has not significantly changed traffic flow.

In an email, Kiewit spokesman Bob Kula said the firm had been “working positively with Metro” to resolve “key issues” on the project, and declined to comment further.

Kiewit filed suit against Metro in 2014 in the same month the carpool lane opened, seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in reimbursements.

The Omaha-based construction company said in court documents that the design changes made after work began, as well as tasks that were not included in their original contract, created “staggering” expenses.

The “bureaucratic quagmire” at Metro, the company said, forced Kiewit to double to 300 the number of employees on the project.

Rather than litigate the claims, Metro and Kiewit agreed to nonbinding arbitration, Metro spokeswoman Pauletta Tonilas said. The settlement agreement doesn’t acknowledge fault on the agency’s part “so much as it is acknowledging the substantial scope changes that happened,” she said.

Metro was pleased to finish arbitration relatively quickly and settle for less than Kiewit’s original claim of $518 million, she said.

The settlement will be funded through the sale of bonds financed by Proposition C, a half-cent sales tax that Los Angeles County voters approved in 1990, she said.

Saving on legal fees and settlement costs, she said, will make Metro “the best possible steward of the taxpayer dollar we can be, given the challenges that came up.”

Those challenges include utility relocation. In a 140-page claim sent to Metro in 2013, the company said seven of the 13 main causes for schedule delays came from problems with third-party utility companies.

Crews discovered more than nine miles of utility lines buried in the Sepulveda Pass. In one instance, they said, protecting a drainage culvert that had not been included in the bid documents added nearly $30 million to the project’s cost.

After Kiewit began work, it learned that Metro’s agreements with companies that control access to gas pipelines, data cables and electrical lines in West Los Angeles did not apply to the 405 projects, creating further delay.

“If only one of these third parties fails or falls behind, there is a domino effect that impacts everything else,” project director Richard Raine wrote in the claim.
LAYiddo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 07:50 PM   #11870
ChrisZwolle
Road user

$ 1.6 billion for a single carpool lane in one direction is outrageous. This corridor has a huge demand, there are only a few high-capacity routes between the San Fernando Valley and the Los Angeles Basin, I-405 is already one of the most highly congested corridors in the U.S. Maybe they should've built managed lanes. There has been talk about a toll tunnel.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

LAYiddo, Buffaboy liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2016, 09:06 PM   #11871
LAYiddo
Not in L.A.

Likes (Received): 3242

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
$ 1.6 billion for a single carpool lane in one direction is outrageous. This corridor has a huge demand, there are only a few high-capacity routes between the San Fernando Valley and the Los Angeles Basin, I-405 is already one of the most highly congested corridors in the U.S. Maybe they should've built managed lanes. There has been talk about a toll tunnel.
They've been talking about that for years. Between Sherman Oaks and Brentwood. Would make the ROI on that $1.6 Billion even more ridiculous if they did it. Just a colossal waste of taxpayers money. Again.
LAYiddo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 10:51 PM   #11872
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Well, at least the rail line will help, a lot.

jchernin liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 01:17 AM   #11873
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
1.9 Billion for a 22 Miles Freeway under construction in Phoenix, which include Lighting, Landscaping, and the Bridges and Interchanges. (South Mountain Freeway)

No wonder California highways are Third world country. just came back from California and the pavement on those highways are horrible and dangerous.
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 01:45 AM   #11874
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
1.9 Billion for a 22 Miles Freeway under construction in Phoenix, which include Lighting, Landscaping, and the Bridges and Interchanges. (South Mountain Freeway)

No wonder California highways are Third world country. just came back from California and the pavement on those highways are horrible and dangerous.
While I agree that the cost to widen the 405 through Sepulveda Pass was ludicrous, comparing the cost to construct a greenfield highway through a mostly reserved corridor to widening the 405 a mountain pass in suburban LA is like comparing apples to microscopes.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 11:40 AM   #11875
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The contrast between Phoenix and Southern California is huge. Urban Southern California has mostly concrete freeways (usually with very old concrete), while Phoenix has asphalt freeways.

A quick browse through Google Earth indicates that Phoenix has only one concrete freeway, the short State Route 143.

So while there are significant differences in pavement type, both areas have similar conditions, both in a hot desert climate, huge volumes of traffic and wide freeways. Sure, the L.A. system is generally older, but I'm guessing Phoenix' asphalt freeways have been resurfaced at least once and likely multiple times since initial construction.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:19 PM   #11876
sonysnob

From a design standpoint, I wouldn`t say that there is that significant a difference in how the freeways of Southern California and Phoenix have been designed and constructed. While most of Phoenix`s freeways are indeed surfaced in asphalt, in reality, they are all basically concrete freeways with a single coarse of rubberized asphalt mix to improve the ride and control noise. Most of the overpass designs are similar between the two jurisdiction as well.

My point with comparing Sepulveda Pass to the South Mountain Freeway has more to do with Sepulveda Pass itself. For much the same reason that CalTrans decided to build a freeway through the pass, I have to think a lot of other utilities chose Sepulveda Pass as the path of least resistance for their infrastructure as well. I am thinking of things such as the potential for trunk watermains, trunk sanitary sewers, high pressure natural gas lines, communications cable, include fibre optic, and almost certainly significant storm water infrastructure as well. Sepulveda Pass is a fairly tight canyon, and a lot of the other infrastructure was probably placed in the ground based on the 1960s era footprint of the 405 Freeway, at a time when there was little notion that the 405 would ever need to be widened. Widening the footprint of the 405 through the pass would have triggered the relocation of a lot of these other utilities, which is probably where so much of the cost increase is. In addition, there can be a domino effect, where the relocation of one utility triggers the need to relocate another utility due to required setback distances, and constructability issues. It`s for reasons like this that one would need to expect that a project through such a mountain canyon would cost so much more. While, I am sure there will be some utility conflicts with the South Mountain Freeway in Phoenix, it will have nothing to the scale of a project such as the 405. It`s for these reasons why I said that the two projects really aren`t comparable from a cost perspective.

geogregor, Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by sonysnob; December 3rd, 2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:20 PM   #11877
Cyborg13

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
They should have built it back in the 80s when it was approved. The cost has only increased, and will continue to increase the longer they put it off. Although it may finally get done the next few years. I know they've already torn down some of the houses in Ahwatukee that were built in the right of way.
Cyborg13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:26 PM   #11878
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the I-405 contract, but the South Mountain Freeway in Phoenix is not just a build contract, it is a design-build-maintain contract, including maintenance for 30 years. This last issue is often overlooked for being minor compared to the construction phase, but makes it an important factor in the overall contract value.

These projects are often compared based on its pricetag alone, but the contract and its duration could vary significantly between projects.

It's worth mentioning that PPP or P3 projects are not as common in all states. Some states have a lot of experience with P3 projects, while others have no or very limited experience.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:46 PM   #11879
Cyborg13

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Dallas Horseshoe Project update for October
I hope there are plans to improve the connection between northbound I-35E to the tunnel. As it stands now, you have to try to merge across like 4 or 5 lanes of traffic that is merging onto 35E within about a quarter mile to get to the tunnel. It's a grade-A CF every day, even during non-rush hours.
Cyborg13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 06:01 PM   #11880
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I hope there are plans to improve the connection between northbound I-35E to the tunnel. As it stands now, you have to try to merge across like 4 or 5 lanes of traffic that is merging onto 35E within about a quarter mile to get to the tunnel. It's a grade-A CF every day, even during non-rush hours.
Reminds me of the CF in Toronto (Highway 401), where you have to go from Express lanes to Exit while jumping 5 Collector lanes in a few thousand feet. The fact that the solution is to simply put the name of that exit on an earlier road sign, it boggles my mind how that CF has been allowed to go on ever since that highway was constructed.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban