daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2017, 12:29 PM   #11901
SpiderBHZ
FORA TEMER!!

Likes (Received): 2299

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #11902
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Oklahoma

The Oklahoma Turnpike Authority is working towards all-electronic tolling. They launched a new service called 'PlatePay' on a Creek Turnpike ramp near Tulsa. It is an addition to the PikePass transponder. This means these ramps will go entirely cashless, but users of 'PlatePay' pay a higher toll rate than users with a PikePass. (the only current location charges more than double the PikePass rate).

http://www.platepay.com/

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 06:23 PM   #11903
Jschmuck

Likes (Received): 250

Wisdot is ambitiously studying a long-range plan with 5 alternatives of I-39/90/94; 4 of which include a new freeway, in the Madison, WI area: (don't know how to post pdf image)

First link are all 5 alternatives combined;
http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/pr...tscombined.pdf

website;
http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projec...4/default.aspx

If alternative A were to be implemented, the new alignment could be named I-94, thus shortening the triple concurrency of I-39/90/94 between Madison and Portage.

ChrisZwolle liked this post

Last edited by Jschmuck; January 8th, 2017 at 06:35 PM.
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #11904
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interesting.

Here's a map of the potential corridors:

On first sight, a new parallel freeway seems overkill. Although extensive reconstruction of an existing Interstate Highway may be pricey. Though if bridges need replacement anyway, the additional cost of expansion is not that great - given the fact that this stretch of I-39/90/94 doesn't have any major bridges or tunnels that would be prohibitively expensive to expand.

Judging by satellite imagery, there is a left shoulder in both directions along the entire corridor. It could be a cheap widening if they reconstruct the existing pavement and turn the left shoulder into a driving lane. If it is too narrow, they could shift the lanes to the outside, expanding the right shoulder if needed. In this scenario, bridges would only need to be replaced if the conditions require it.

The Roadrunner website from WISDOT shows that this stretch of freeway carries mostly between 55,000 and 67,000 vehicles per day on six lanes. The eight lane segment near Madison carries 90,000 vehicles per day.

Is traffic growth so strong? There are plenty of freeways with these volumes that have only four lanes. Judging by current traffic volume and lane count, it is quite adequate.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 8th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #11905
Jschmuck

Thanks Chris!

Quote:
On first sight, a new parallel freeway seems overkill
I basically agree.

I can shed some light on this particular stretch as I am from and live in WI, and I drove an 18-wheeler for over 10 years and have traveled this stretch many times in truck and personal vehicle.

This stretch gets busy during summer with the WI Dells destination and others. It strongly seems 6-lanes is adequate, even for the future. However, this stretch sees a lot of through traffic, I would say more so than the Milwaukee area. And including growth in through traffic, it is hard for me to say what should happen then as I am certainly not an expert in traffic management (though that area intrigues me). Then there is the fast growth of the Madison area. Madison is growing fast (for Midwest means), but a lot is smart growth centered more around bicycling and mass transit.

But then does an eastern bypass of Sun Prairie and De Forest (ultimately a bypass of the entire metro) make sense for I-94? I don't know. Because those areas are growing as well.

Last edited by Jschmuck; January 8th, 2017 at 07:53 PM.
Jschmuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #11906
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Michigan speed limits

Gov. Rick Snyder signs legislation to raise speed limits on designated roadways following safety studies

Speed limits on certain Michigan roadways may increase after studies are conducted to ensure safety under legislation signed today by Gov. Rick Snyder.

HBs 4423-4427, sponsored by state Reps. Bradford Jacobsen, Rick Outman, John Kivela and Charles Smiley, respectively, require the Michigan Department of Transportation to allow the speed limit to be raised up to 75 mph on at least 600 miles of freeways and up to 65 mph on at least 900 miles of non-freeway “M” roads. The increases are allowed only if safety and engineering studies show the 85th percentile of speeds currently driven on those roads allow for it. The bills also raise the maximum speed limit for trucks from 60 to 65 mph
Press release: http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,466...1466--,00.html

FM 2258, Kanadzie, xXFallenXx, EasySeven liked this post
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #11907
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 465, Indianapolis

A semi truck has struck the Rockville Road / US 36 overpass at Interstate 465. According to some Twitter reports, a part of the bridge will be demolished.

This bridge was built around 2010 when the interchange was reconstructed from a cloverleaf to a parclo.

Old January 11th, 2017, 04:34 AM   #11908
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

I didn't know there was that much traffic congestion on the north side of Madison. Is the area really growing that fast?

I have family members in Sun Prairie, though I've only visited them there exactly once :P Madison is a nice small city though.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2017, 05:08 AM   #11909
Jschmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I didn't know there was that much traffic congestion on the north side of Madison. Is the area really growing that fast?

I have family members in Sun Prairie, though I've only visited them there exactly once :P Madison is a nice small city though.
It is busy, although I'm not sure congested would be the right term, or maybe it is. Although again, it is congested during rush hours and summer travel days (Friday evenings and Sundays) And yes the Madison area is growing that fast (for Midwestern standards). Because this triple concurrency (I-39/90/94) sees as I have mentioned before a lot of through traffic, it seems one of the ultimate intentions of a possible new freeway is to give I-94 through traffic its own route to bypass the area, to ease pressure on I-39/90. (sorry, long run on sentence). By all means I was quite surprised to find such a proposal? No, nothing is proposed yet, call it a vision.

What year did you get to visit said relatives?
Old January 11th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #11910
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Not that long ago, but still I'm sure growth could have changed the character of the area.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #11911
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 69, Texas

TxDOT published an environmental assessment of the US 59 upgrade in Wharton County, southwest of Houston. A 40 mile stretch of US 59 will be upgraded to I-69.

http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-in...um/020917.html

US 59 is currently a four-lane divided highway with limited frontage roads and mostly at-grade intersections. There are presently 53 median access points, 39 cross-streets and 101 driveways. These will be relocated to the frontage roads.

US 59 will be upgraded to a four lane freeway with two-lane frontage roads on either side. I-69 will get a 75 mph speed limit.

The area is very rural, only 4% of the land alongside US 59 is currently urbanized. Only six residential displacements are required, one of those has a value of only $ 3,900. Six businesses will be impacted, most of them are gas stations where pumps need to be relocated in orer to maintain their business at that location. Just over 80 jobs are impacted, over half of those are in a restaurant that burned down in 2014.

No funding has currently been identified for construction, but is expected to be a mix of federal and state funding.

Old January 12th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #11912
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I-70 in Denver (east of I-25) will see major reconstruction. CDOT hdecided couple months ago on the most expensive option: replace the elevated viaduct with a trench highway, in part covered by a park

source

Old January 13th, 2017, 03:27 PM   #11913
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

good to finally see Texas seriously start on I-69. It needs a good stretch of upgrades to start making the route feel "real".
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 07:45 PM   #11914
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-30 / SH 360, Arlington, Texas

Construction started in 2016 on the new I-30 / SH 360 interchange in Arlington, Texas. This will be a full stack interchange with 8 direct connectors that replace a trumpet interchange / frontage road intersection. Quite an improvement. There will be two massive stack interchanges within two miles on I-30.

Old January 16th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #11915
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Good ol' Six Flags over Texas. I worked there one summer.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #11916
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

The 30 and 360 intersection has been one of the greatest hindrance to Arlington's growth. Glad they are finally rebuilding it into an actual mix master. This will help ease congestion in this area, and hopefully help spur redevelopment.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 05:59 PM   #11917
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-75, Georgia

The express reversible toll lanes on I-75 south of Atlanta will open to traffic soon.

Old January 20th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #11918
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17383

How long is that new I-75 section?
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:24 PM   #11919
ChrisZwolle
Road user

About 11-12 miles. It runs from McDonough to the I-675 split.

Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 20th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #11920
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ I was surprised when I read this. I was only aware of the I-75 Express Lanes located to the north of Atlanta, not also that they were coming to the south.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban