daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #11921
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

As an interested outsider, this project also appeared to be more low-key to me.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2017, 05:31 PM   #11922
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oklahoma City

The reconstruction of the I-35 / I-240 interchange in Oklahoma City started last year.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 21st, 2017, 06:09 PM   #11923
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

With an AADT of 145,000, the NY-33/I-90 interchange is one of the most underpowered interchanges in New York, and is a big bottleneck during rush hour, with backups extending for miles. Perhaps we will see an upgrade to a stack interchange in the future, but in the meantime, an acceleration lane is being added to the 90W-33W movement.

Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 10:35 PM   #11924
gregduh

Likes (Received): 35

That one is pretty rough. It's definitely due to the weaving traffic, so they would need to rearrange the exits in a way where traffic won't have to weave. That cloverleaf is not very good at all, really. The exit from the 90 eastbound onto the 33 eastbound is more than a 90 degree curve. It's just not ideal and really needs rebuilding.
gregduh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2017, 11:06 PM   #11925
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

does 33 really have so much traffic? It kind of rapidly degenerates into a surface street east of the interchange, at first glance it would seem most traffic is the western part of 33 going to and fro I-90.

Maybe just a flyover for the (cardinal) north-west movement would bring down the weaving enough to work okay again.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 12:27 AM   #11926
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

33 goes to the Airport, so that's a major traffic generator.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 06:21 AM   #11927
Lucio

Likes (Received): 7594

Not sure this has already been posted here.

Since November 2016 Masspike (I-90 in Massachusetts) has gone all electronic tolling.
As of today all the booths have been removed but construction is still ongoing at most exits (I mean, ongoing....no one is working but work is not finished yet).
Prices have not changed much. Traffic is now smoother.

Also, roadworks ongoing on I-95 around Boston to add a fourth lane between Wellsley and Needham (3.8 miles).

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highw...leyI95AddALane

Luki_SL liked this post
Lucio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2017, 09:11 PM   #11928
gregduh

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
does 33 really have so much traffic? It kind of rapidly degenerates into a surface street east of the interchange, at first glance it would seem most traffic is the western part of 33 going to and fro I-90.

Maybe just a flyover for the (cardinal) north-west movement would bring down the weaving enough to work okay again.

During the evening rush hour, most of the traffic is coming from the 33 eastbound and exiting onto the 90 eastbound toward the 290. That weave is where the biggest backups tend to happen. East of that interchange, the 33 is still an expressway until it gets to Genesee Street and the airport entrance. A lot of traffic uses that intersection but I would say that the amount of traffic is much less there until it meets the 90.

Any amount of flyover ramps would be great, for sure.
gregduh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2017, 12:20 AM   #11929
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The reconstruction of the I-35 / I-240 interchange in Oklahoma City started last year.

I think this design is called a cloverturbine (or if it isn't, it should be ). Though this is a fairly common design worldwide, I believe this will be the first in the Midwest.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 05:54 PM   #11930
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 14

The Texas Transportation Commission has officially designated a 25 mile stretch of US 190 as Interstate 14 on its January 26 meeting.

This minute order designates a segment of the state highway system as I-14, concurrent with US 190 from the eastern junction of US 190 and Business US 190E in Copperas Cove to I-35 in Belton, a distance of approximately 25 miles. The Killeen-Temple Metropolitan Planning Organization, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, and the Federal Highway Administration have approved the designation of this segment.

Minute Order: http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...017/0126/5.pdf

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

g.spinoza, Luki_SL, zaphod, FM 2258 liked this post
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:26 PM   #11931
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
The Texas Transportation Commission has officially designated a 25 mile stretch of US 190 as Interstate 14 on its January 26 meeting.

This minute order designates a segment of the state highway system as I-14, concurrent with US 190 from the eastern junction of US 190 and Business US 190E in Copperas Cove to I-35 in Belton, a distance of approximately 25 miles. The Killeen-Temple Metropolitan Planning Organization, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials, and the Federal Highway Administration have approved the designation of this segment.

Nice how Temple gets an E-W interstate highway before Austin does...

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

FM 2258 liked this post
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #11932
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

It's almost complete. Also, construction of the Trinity River park project beneath the signature bridges is scheduled to begin sometime this year. Work on it can now finally progress now that the Horse Shoe Project, which should be done by the second quarter of this year, is close to completion.

Last edited by Joshua Dodd; January 28th, 2017 at 11:38 PM.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #11933
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11806

Are the two roads at the right side of the picture the same used in the Dallas opening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vZNWdFd1UM&t=7s
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 10:32 PM   #11934
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Yes. Those would be the Houston and Jefferson Street viaducts. The Houston Street Viaduct underwent rehabilitation work from 2013 to 2015 when it opened back for business with the additional DART trolley rails.

JackFrost liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 03:10 AM   #11935
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Quote:

Will it actually be signed? IMO unless they actually seriously build I-14 I always though 190 would better signed as I-135.

Also do you know any more details about 14, because I live in the Bryan-College Station area and here the only noise has come from our congressman.

I dunno, is anywhere on the route really busy enough to need an interstate? I think the western link is useful in the sense that San Angelo is a big place to not have any interstate connection and there is no direct route from Houston to Permian Basin despite the oil/natural resource activity out there.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #11936
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They plan to put up the first signs by summer, according to media reports.

I think anything beyond the current 25 mile stretch is a pipe dream. As far as I know there aren't even serious studies to build a freeway to Bryan/College Station from Belton.

It depends on funding being allocated to a project. It's easy to congressionally designate a stretch to be part of the Interstate Highway system, but they don't always put the money where their mouth is. For example in the 2005 SAFETA-LU, a study has been launched for a possible Interstate Highway between Natchez, MS and Augusta, GA. No funding was allocated and no stretch has been built in the 12 years since.

zaphod liked this post
Old January 29th, 2017, 05:16 AM   #11937
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I like the idea of making US 190 an Interstate. I like the idea of calling it a spur of 35 but 14 works just as well. I don't see this freeway being expanded east or west any time soon.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #11938
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

It's not impossible to imagine an interstate made up of an upgraded 36 from Temple to Hearne. Within Temple itself, I think with some direct connectors at 35 you could make 336 part of the interstate.

Cameron could use a bypass. Hearne needs a bypass, preferably around the west side of the town. Flying under the radar is a proposal for a massive Union Pacific rail yard with intermodal train-to-truck facilities between Hearne the small town of Mumford several miles to the southwest, so there is about to be a lot more traffic in that area.

Highway 6 also needs to be widened and divided between Bryan and Hearne as it has a very high rate of accidents.

I guess making this part of an interstate project is unreasonable, but if it was a source of funding it would be welcome. IMO the concept of interstate development is very restrictive- wouldn't it be better if the federal government focused on piecemeal improvements to generalized corridors instead?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #11939
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think people take the US 190 alignment for the future I-14 corridor a bit too serious. I think that while it would generally follow the route of US 190, it likely won't follow the exact zig-zag alignment from Belton/Waco to I-45.

As for the extension west, they recently built the Copperas Cove bypass of US 190 - as a super two. I think that shows how high the priority for any westward extension of the freeway is... Perhaps an extension to Lampasas would eventually be built, but there are a ton of other priorities in Texas. There is a dramatic shortfall of funding to even keep congestion from getting any worse, not to mention projects in rural areas like I-14, I-69 or the Ports-to-Plains Corridor.
Old January 30th, 2017, 01:05 AM   #11940
sotonsi

Quote:
I think people take the US 190 alignment for the future I-14 corridor a bit too serious. I think that while it would generally follow the route of US 190, it likely won't follow the exact zig-zag alignment from Belton/Waco to I-45.
I'd imagine a straight-ish line to Bryan, along TX6 for a bit to serve College Station (which, I think we'd all agree, is large enough to warrant an interstate connection, even if Belton isn't the most useful destination for one), then - if it makes it that far east - straight-ish line to Huntsville.
Quote:
Perhaps an extension to Lampasas would eventually be built
If it gets that far west, Lometa (where US183 splits) seems a safer bet of where it would end.

I concur that full-freewayisation tends to scupper these things (good for WV to build I-73 as a mere expressway and getting it done to a reasonable standard, rather than waste time and money building half a freeway and leaving the other half unsatisfactory), though between I-35 and I-69 a freeway taking a straighter line would be better than mere bypasses of towns and 4-laneing between that further west and east would be fine.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban