daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #101
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

**** that. I love driving on interstates. Some great experiences on long trips driving on these things. I enjoyed every picture that has been posted so far especially the Socal and Texas pictures.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #102
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

could one of you guys show me that tolled freeway in the LA area? i went to LA to go to laguna beach this summer and as i drove around LA i was surprised when i found a toll plaza, followed by an extremely well-maintained, beautiful stretch of motorway it was smooth as glass

if anyone can post those pics I'd sincerely appreciate it
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #103
chris9
Virtute Fideque

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHo~
I dont see why ppl keep saying interstates sucks , They dont . US has the best highway systems in the world !!! we can drive from east coast to west coast !!! , you can go anywhere by car !!
We have one of the best systems, and certainly the largest, but in terms of quality Germany has the best. Their higways are smooth as a table, last twice as long, have automated traffic monitoring and electronic signs providing dynamic speed limits (only in certain areas or when necessary, otherwise no speed limit) and/or advance warning of congestion or fog, reflector guide posts at 50 meter intervals, emergency telephones at 2 km intervals, pre-designated detour routes to facilitate emergency closures and drivers that actually know how to drive and smart laws that make it easier to do so (not to mention Wildlife protection fencing and crossover tunnels).

Last edited by chris9; November 17th, 2005 at 09:09 AM.
chris9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 05:32 AM   #104
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

ill give the US credit in that it has spanned the entire continent with motorways. a feat not easily achieved.

its just that those motorways are of poor quality. rough, ugly, outdated.

but their sheer size is very impressive nonetheless
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #105
TO_Joe
Curious Traveler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi
**** that. I love driving on interstates. Some great experiences on long trips driving on these things. I enjoyed every picture that has been posted so far especially the Socal and Texas pictures.
I don't have a problem on the occasional trip across the country or to see relatives in another state.

Overall the system is impressive. As with the engineering too -- like Glenwood Canyon in Colorado on I-70, or the clever use of topography in LA downtown interchanges, etc.

But the reality is that most of the time is spent stuck in traffic commuting along the same stretches of highways in urban areas, to buy groceries, etc. 4 times per day. 85% of it in a wasteful single driver mode. Check out the Bureau of Transport Statistics on their household trip survey. In the meantime, only 4% of the urban passenger-miles travel are by public transport.

That's where the waste is. And in urban areas, they just become ugly polluting scarring concrete monstrosities.

Last edited by TO_Joe; November 18th, 2005 at 07:06 PM.
TO_Joe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #106
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO_Joe
I don't have a problem on the occasional trip across the country or to see relatives in another state.

Overall the system is impressive. As with the engineering too -- like Glenwood Canyon in Colorado on I-70, or the clever use of topography in LA downtown interchanges, etc.

But the reality is that most of the time is spent stuck in traffic commuting along the same stretches of highways in urban areas, to buy groceries, etc. 4 times per day. 85% of it in a wasteful single driver mode. Check out the Bureau of Transport Statistics on their household trip survey. In the meantime, only 4% of the urban passenger-miles travel are by public transport.

That's where the waste is. And in urban areas, they just become ugly polluting scarring concrete monstrosities.

Well ugly is a matter of opinion. Also it depends on where you are. Some people might think Interstate 90 through Gary, Indiana is ugly (I think industrial areas are beautiful) while Interstate 89 going through Vermont is beautiful.

There's something about Interstates or freeways that make you feel like you're in a different dimension. It's a cool feeling because it seems like you're removed from the rest of the area. An Interstate can go through the worst, most violent neighborhood in a city but from the freeway it's like you're not even part of it.

I might be crazy but I drive on Interstate 35 in Austin every day and I always have this sense of appreciation and gratitude to be able to drive on a freeway every day. I mean, I can go fairly fast, exit when I want, stop if I really need to, listen to what I want to listen to, go where I want and control how fast I get there.

Freeway systems might not seem efficient to the vast majority of people but when it comes to the individual it's very efficient to travel by car. Instead of waiting for a train or bus, I'm already in my car and I can go exactly where I want to. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a high speed light rail systems grow in the United States but freeways are so much fun to drive on. It's suprising to see how so many people take roads for granted.

I was talking to a girl and she said she lived by Interstate 35 in Minnesota and I told her "oh, that's cool, so you live right across the street, I'm just on the west side of 35 and you're just on the east." Not sure how we got into talknig about that but I remember that conversation.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #107
chris9
Virtute Fideque

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
Freeway systems might not seem efficient to the vast majority of people but when it comes to the individual it's very efficient to travel by car. Instead of waiting for a train or bus, I'm already in my car and I can go exactly where I want to. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a high speed light rail systems grow in the United States but freeways are so much fun to drive on. It's suprising to see how so many people take roads for granted.
I respect your point of view, but people in different parts of the U.S. approach problems differently. I used to live in the South four 4.5 years (I got southern education ), land down there is cheap, municipalities sprawl over large distances and higways seem not only the best means of transportation, but sometimes are the only means of transportation. In heavily congested and urbanized north-east megalopolis area populated by over 40 million people with New York Metro alone contributing 22 million highways are often the worst means of moving from point a to b. Hellish traffic jams oftean lead to so called "gridlock alerts" in NYC area - all electronic signs urge people to use public transit. I have a car and I often use it, but I have to say that in metro NYC the most efficient means of transit is public transit, we have 25 subway lines, metropolitan commuter trains and one high speed rail line, which already move over 12 million people daily, they decrease the amount of time it takes to get to work, pollution and country's dependency on oil reserves, not to mention environmental impact.
chris9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:02 AM   #108
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I think the Interstate network is generally underrated here on SSC. Sure, it has flaws, but there seems to be some misconceptions that all interstate highways are simply aweful in quality. Now I have been on some absolutely terrible interstates over the years, but generally, there quality is pretty good, and they are well built. It is a very extensive network, that generally performs its function very well.

Cheers.
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #109
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9
We have one of the best systems, and certainly the largest, but in terms of quality Germany has the best. Their higways are smooth as a table, last twice as long, have automated traffic monitoring and electronic signs providing dynamic speed limits (only in certain areas or when necessary, otherwise no speed limit) and/or advance warning of congestion or fog, reflector guide posts at 50 meter intervals, emergency telephones at 2 km intervals, pre-designated detour routes to facilitate emergency closures and drivers that actually know how to drive and smart laws that make it easier to do so (not to mention Wildlife protection fencing and crossover tunnels).
If you think all those things are a luxury, I dread to think what kind of highways you drive on.. :S

Yes, sure, some of the solutions on German highways are not seen elsewhere and are quite good, but most are pretty much everyday solutions found in a lot of countries.. At least of the ones you posted..

Anyway, I have to agree with most on here that the Interstate system sure is impressive, I only hate the fact that concrete is more common than asphalt. Sure it has its pros, but visually and otherwise I find asphalt much more pleasing..
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #110
bay_area
Live and Let Live

Likes (Received): 14

Old November 20th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #111
great prairie

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO_Joe
But the reality is that most of the time is spent stuck in traffic commuting along the same stretches of highways in urban areas, to buy groceries, etc. 4 times per day.
Yes everyone uses interstates to commute to grocery stores 4 times a day.
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:38 PM   #112
TheOldMan
RIP all NIMBYS

Anyone got pics of Capital Beltway/95 495 around DC. probibly the closest thing to CA and west coast freeways in the North East. MD and VA do a wonderful job with Freeways and roads.They are always wide where they need to be, clean, smooth with good signage.

At the other end of the spectrum is Pennsylvania-the worst roads in the country. only a total of 4 lanes on I-76 thru Philadelphia. Unbelieveable. i cannot believe Pennsylvania neglects the roads soo much. anyway...

So, if you think your interstates are bad, they are paradise compared to PA freeways.
Get off the air you nitwit !!!
TheOldMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:22 PM   #113
TheOldMan
RIP all NIMBYS

The worst State in the country with respect to freeways, roads and highways is Pennsylvania-it is not even close. travelling on Pennsylvania roads is like travelling back thru time. all freeways, bridges and roads need to be widened, resurfaced, repaired and or replaced.

I 76 thru philly-4 lanes, should be at least 8. ditto for pretty much every freeway in the Philadelphia metro area. i cant tell you how many back roads and small streets still have one-lane bridges. PENNDOT pay attention-improve the roads.

enough said !!
Get off the air you nitwit !!!
TheOldMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:08 AM   #114
mr_storms

california is pretty good compared to the ones ive ridden on in the east coast, but i havent been on roads in all states so i cant compare that much.
mr_storms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:51 AM   #115
mr_storms

Pics of the 8 lane scenic route that is California Interstate 280 between San Francisco and San Jose, which passes amazing scenery along the way:

Why its very hard to keep your eyes on the road here (these pics all take from the freeway or the "scenic view points" off to the side)

mr_storms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:02 AM   #116
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

California
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:58 AM   #117
PotatoGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
could one of you guys show me that tolled freeway in the LA area? i went to LA to go to laguna beach this summer and as i drove around LA i was surprised when i found a toll plaza, followed by an extremely well-maintained, beautiful stretch of motorway it was smooth as glass

if anyone can post those pics I'd sincerely appreciate it

That i know of there are 4 toll freeways in Orange County, the 241, 261, 133, 73 and then theres 91 freeway FasTrak lanes... which one are you refering to?? What city was it near or w/e?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 09:21 AM   #118
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

im sorry, im a NorCal ignoramus really sorry.

up here there isnt a single tolled freeway. could you plz post some pics of any of these highways?
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:49 PM   #119
great prairie

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Dallas/p...ing_tour.shtml

Here is a tollway in North Dallas. They are kinda old pictures(2001) and the green dotted line before the start here arrow is now open. Named after the first Bush not the second..

Picture of the suburb I grew up in....

http://www.texasfreeway.com/Houston/.../bw8/bw8.shtml

Houston outer loop tollway.
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:26 PM   #120
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

i meant from LA/OC but thx a lot anyways

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban