daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #11981
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Trust me, we have plenty to catch up on.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #11982
Ingsoc75

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
^Its no different than how Ontario dominates the Canada thread. Its where the big and exciting projects are happening.
I only make that comment out of awe of how TX is with it's highway building. I can think of many other places in the US that could learn a thing or two about building their highways.
Ingsoc75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #11983
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

it looks like weathering steel, probably they spent lots of money to make it look so bad
Old February 11th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #11984
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I-45 Gulf Freeway, Houston, Texas

I-45 southbound is closed this weekend from Beltway 8 to the NASA Bypass to create the final lane configuration:
TxDOT is closing the interstate to finish the final lane configurations of the I-45 S Gulf Freeway project from Dixie Farm Rd. to Nasa Bypass.

Once the work is finished, the five southbound main lanes will open.

The northbound main lanes will remain unaffected by this weekend’s traffic switch and remain at three lanes. A future traffic switch is planned to reconfigure those lanes.

The entire project is scheduled for completion by 2018.
http://www.khou.com/traffic/i-45-sou...kend/406828965
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:09 PM   #11985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-69, Indiana

I-69 completion date pushed back

Officials again have pushed back the completion date of the portion of Interstate 69 between Martinsville and Bloomington.

Work now is scheduled to be finished by May 31, 2018. Previously the project was supposed to be completed by October 2017.
Full report: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/p...back/97850844/
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:23 AM   #11986
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Interstate 805, San Diego, California:

Old February 15th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #11987
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Dallas Horseshoe Project update: As a sign of work nearing completion, two ramps along westbound I-30 ("Canyon" area) will be placed in their permanent roadway alignments on the weekend of Feb. 17, 2017. New signage will be installed to designate both of the ramps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buKkQfUeZOU
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #11988
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

There are some weirdly duplicated movements at I-70/US 29, with a left turn for I-70 West even though there's an exit for I-70 West a couple of hundred yards back. My best guess is that the left turn is a low budget solution to weaving.

Last edited by Ryme Intrinseca; February 17th, 2017 at 12:46 PM.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #11989
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryme Intrinseca View Post
There are some weirdly duplicated movements at I-70/US 29, with a left turn for I-70 West even though there's an exit for I-70 West a couple of hundred yards back. My best guess is that the left turn is a low budget solution to weaving.
Your guess is correct. With three major junctions so close to one another on 29, (I-70, US 40, MD 100) plus the impending freeway end, traffic is already ranging from heavy to horrible in that area. From what I've observed, most folks don't seem to know about that left turn exit onto 70 West, but the ones that do are happy to have it.

US Top 50 Cities inhabited, visited, or passed through:
1 - New York
5 - Philadelphia
12 - Jacksonville
14 - Columbus
17 - Charlotte
21 - Washington
23 - Detroit
25 - Nashville

30 - Baltimore
31 - Milwaukee
38 - Atlanta
41 - Raleigh
42 - Miami
43 - Virginia Beach
36 to go...

Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 01:06 AM   #11990
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Some photos of the I-75 reversible express lanes south of Atlanta, taken on January 29, the weekend it opened.

Southbound on the general lanes since the reversible roadway is running northbound at 2pm. Hmm. Here we're passing under I-675 southbound with the ramp to 675 northbound beyond.

Southbound entrance to the reversible roadway, with the lanes carefully delineated with distinctive striping. No rat racing here.

Express lanes entrance, duh. Note the down arrow on the gore sign, like we're in France.

The reversible roadway is adjacent to the southbound legacy roadway everywhere except here, at the bifurcation near Hudson Bridge-Eagles Landing. All of the signs for this exit southbound have a white line between the green and the yellow of the exit only tab. Weird. They were added as part of a project to add the two-dropped-lanes offramp you see here. Must be some horrendous afternoon backups here.

A bit further along, just past Hudson Bridge-Eagles Landing. The median looks a bit ratty, and there's o landscaping as yet.

On the way to the Locust Grove exit to turn around and take the reversible roadway back north, we spotted this stash of signs and decided to investigate. They're at a GDOT maintenance facility, next door to which is a privately owned sign fabricator. Forest Park is about twenty miles from here, but King George Boulevard is near Savannah.

Heading back north. My companion is from Florida and is more used to toll-related VMS's that I am, but neither of us recall seeing a fraction displayed on a VMS.

Or an arrow, either.

This is the wye at the end of the reversible roadway. Merging would never occur here-- unless they ran 75 contraflow northbound for the mother of all hurricanes.

I found the yellow paint markings a bit disconcerting, though they're unambiguously correct.

The first segment of the reversible roadway, to a point well north of the GA 20-81 interchange, is only one lane. WTF?

Highway89, Luki_SL, nick.english.dept liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 01:10 AM   #11991
Tom 958

The reversible roadway widens to two lanes just south of the access points to and from the 75 mainline north of GA20-81.

The access points. I'm a bit surprised that they weren't staggered somewhat to cut down on the required width.

Direct access point to Jonesboro Road, in addition to the full interchange for general traffic. Note the traffic light-- I guess it's there to fake people into taking that turn slowly enough. I wonder how long it'll be before somebody jumpramps that sucker.

Ramp terminal for the Jonesboro Road access point.

Wooded bifurcation approaching Hudson Bridge-Eagles Landing. According to the project concept report, provision was made to allow for construction of a second express roadway at some future date. However, while the new roadway is adjacent to the southbound roadway everywhere else, it's on the northbound side here to protect the water quality of the stream that flows through that median. Wow.

nick.english.dept liked this post
Old February 18th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #11992
Tom 958

The entrance from 75 southbound, where we were at the beginning of this series of photos. I haven't figured out the sekrit code that governs how they did those paint markings.

We're taking the 675 leg, though I'm curious as to how the merge with 75 will work. It would've been a huge detour to check out both, and probably 675 was more interesting.

Again, that yellow gore. No merge sign this time, though.

45 mph? Gee, I dunno.

About to enter 675 from the left. We're going uphill, and the taper is very short. Could be hairy with rush hour traffic.
Old February 18th, 2017, 09:17 PM   #11993
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-15 California

Flash flooding has caused substantial damage to I-15 near Cajon Pass. A fire engine fell over the side.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

JohnFlint1985 liked this post
Old February 18th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #11994
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Boise, Idaho

I was looking into the construction history of Interstate Highways in Idaho and noticed this largely vacant (?) right-of-way through Boise. It appears as an extension of I-184.

1970s and 1980s state highway maps of Idaho do not indicate a further extension of I-184 through Downtown Boise, nor could I find anything on the internet.

But this 1992 satellite image shows a remarkable almost vacant right-of-way through Downtown Boise. It has been mostly developed since (the Boise-Nampa-Caldwell area has a very high population growth).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

NFZANMNIM liked this post
Old February 18th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #11995
Tom 958

Highway89 liked this post
Old February 18th, 2017, 11:24 PM   #11996
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post

45 mph? Gee, I dunno.
45° ? Isn`t it?
Old February 19th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #11997
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I was looking into the construction history of Interstate Highways in Idaho and noticed this largely vacant (?) right-of-way through Boise. It appears as an extension of I-184.

1970s and 1980s state highway maps of Idaho do not indicate a further extension of I-184 through Downtown Boise, nor could I find anything on the internet.

But this 1992 satellite image shows a remarkable almost vacant right-of-way through Downtown Boise. It has been mostly developed since (the Boise-Nampa-Caldwell area has a very high population growth).

I'd imagine originally they planned to connect it back to I-84 but those plans were cancelled.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2017, 07:47 PM   #11998
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-35 Norman, Oklahoma

I-35 has been expanded to six lanes through Norman, Oklahoma over the past couple of years. The project is currently still ongoing.

This photo was taken from the Main Street interchange, which was converted from a cloverleaf to a SPUI in 2014.

Luki_SL, nick.english.dept liked this post
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #11999
Tom 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
45° ? Isn`t it?
Ha, maybe. Usually, advisory speeds for curves are displayed on a square sign separate from the diamond. And... just such a sign is seen at the 4:26 point of the video I posted, with this version following at 4:29.

Georgia does weird, screwy, embarrassing stuff with signs quite frequently. This is mild, really.
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #12000
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ That 45mph sign advisory curve sign is a standard Caltrans design. I wonder if the firm that designed the express lanes was based out of California.

Kanadzie liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban