daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2017, 07:52 AM   #12001
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Dallas Horseshoe Project update:
Close to the finish line

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2017, 04:48 PM   #12002
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Video of the Capital Beltway in Washington DC taken last memorial day. This was my first time driving the road since the HOT lanes had been installed. I think they did a pretty good job with them, though some of the pavement has already deteriorated pretty quickly:

Old February 24th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #12003
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

Thoughts on something like this:

The circled section is planned and the EA done by Maine's DoT.
This thing would provide a shorter access (Compared to I-95 and NB Hwy 2) to Saint John and Moncton, the two largest urban areas of New Brunswick, and to Nova Scotia.

currently, this route (Maine SR-9 compared to I-95) is 60 km (37 mi) shorter than the I-95-NB-Hwy-2. This proposal reduces the distance a further 20 km (12 mi).

The whole thing is 130 km long (81 mi)

NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 03:28 AM   #12004
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

it would be really interesting if you could extend that to meet with an extended A-10 on the Quebec side, which has been proposed by local people a few times...
Old February 24th, 2017, 03:57 AM   #12005
NFZANMNIM

you mean like this?

This would be great for Canada, especially the Maritime provinces. Not so much short term benefit for Maine. Maybe more long term, by having logistical and industrial developments along this. This segment is twice as long, and much more topgraphically challenging.

It could get the designation I-92 in the States, instead of I-395, as it'll be a full-fledged East-West highway
It would be to Canada what Trans-Manchurian Railway was to Russian Empire.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old February 24th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #12006
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

That's has been proposed on and off before, but never happened. Also the I-395 extension is actually a 2 lane road I believe.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #12007
Kanadzie

its interesting it would only shave ca. 100 km

You can save 100 km on the Trans-Canada journey by taking the Sultan road + Hwy 101+144, etc in Ontario vs going through Sault-Ste-Marie. But "in the head" the Maine shortcut seems so much more savings in distance...
Old February 25th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #12008
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

My destination is usually Saint John, and it would save roughly 3.5 hours over the current Canada only route. It would cut 1.5-2hrs off of driving through the US.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #12009
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

The lack of traffic is what is keeping it a pipe dream. There are in fact no major east-west routes from the Montréal area to Bangor at all, so there is no current traffic volume that would justify a freeway through there.

US 201 (which has been proposed as a Portland - Québec City corridor) carries only some 2,000 vehicles per day. State Highway 16/27 carries a similar amount of traffic.

A new east-west corridor could shift some long-distance traffic from Québec to the Maritimes through Maine, but I think it would be a thousand vehicles per day at best. The volume of long-distance traffic (we're talking about 600 miles / 1000 km from Moncton to Montréal) is usually overestimated.

In addition, it is apparently not very common for freight transport with an origin and destination in Canada to go through the U.S. due to the double border clearance.

Funny, if you Google Map a route from Montréal to Moncton, the Maine alternative involves some kind of back road that doesn't even have street view for the most part:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Kanadzie liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; February 25th, 2017 at 11:45 AM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #12010
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The other thing of note is that the Quebec/Maine border is actually fairly mountainous. I'd say probably more so than the A-85 corridor. So there might not actually be that much of a fuel savings for trucks to take this route. That said though, parts of this highway would be really beautiful to drive.
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #12011
Kanadzie

There is actually a Montreal - St John railway built by the CPR in the 1880's passing straight through Maine that is still extant (owned by the Irvings, surely). The "permission" for the link was one of the side-deals of the Webster-Ashburton Treaty for the resolution of the Aroostook War where the Americans and British were debating the boundary of Maine and Nouveau-Brunswick. Curiously one of the sticking points was the road which approximately remains as route 185 / autoroute 85, it's surprisingly ancient.

Last edited by Kanadzie; February 25th, 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #12012
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-15 California

I-15 in Victorville, California. This is in the Mojave Desert exurbs north of San Bernardino.

Old February 25th, 2017, 11:40 PM   #12013
NFZANMNIM

That's one substandard Freeeway entrance ramp

AsHalt, DouglasFir33 liked this post
Old February 26th, 2017, 08:39 AM   #12014
bogdymol
bogdymod

A little bit of Interstate history:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #12015
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In the early days of mass motorization (pre 1956), the freeways were built not as through routes for long-distance traffic, but as feeders to and from the city core. In that time, almost all employment was in downtown areas, so they needed high-standard roads.

For example many Interstate Highways through major cities started as local projects funded by the local government and states. It wasn't until 1956 that federal funding became available and these routes became part of long-distance traffic. The pre-Interstate turnpikes did not go through downtown cores either.

In the 1960s and 1970s, employment greatly dispersed across the metropolitan area, reducing the need for more downtown freeways, however some plans were still continued based on outdated travel patterns.

Another exaggerated factor is 'through traffic going right through downtown'. Even if all through traffic would be directed on a bypass, traffic volumes would drop only by a small number, because by far most traffic is generated within the metropolitan area. So there would still be a need for urban freeways, in particular in the large metropolitan areas. A city of 100,000 you can bypass. An urban area of 5 million, you cannot just bypass, you need urban freeways too.

Additionally, the theme of '80% of Americans drive to work' comes across, as if that is exceptional and only an American thing. However in Europe between 70 and 90% of traveled mileage is also by car. As a tourist, you'll get a one-sided and limited view of transportation in Europe.
Old February 26th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #12016
sotonsi

Note that Vox is both Garbage Left (not worth it) and right on the boundary of Poor Quality (don't read).

London, for instance, hardly build any roads (and has a low car modal usage) and still had the inner city=poor concept and the rich people in a ring around it - mass transit brought that about.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #12017
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Although Vox certainly has a left vs right political bias, the report about the negative impact freeways had on cities was good...up until they made it a race issue...

x37 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #12018
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-15 California

The season finale by Freewayjim, I-15 from Primm, Nevada to Barstow, California.

Brace yourself for some terrible lane discipline But the scenery is great. Unusual to see that much traffic through such a long desolate stretch of desert landscape.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
Old February 27th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #12019
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Although Vox certainly has a left vs right political bias, the report about the negative impact freeways had on cities was good...up until they made it a race issue...
As someone who has studied this academically, I can say with confidence that there very much WAS a racial aspect in many cities.

TM_Germany, Professor L Gee liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #12020
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 705, Washington

I-705 in Tacoma, Washington.

New NB I-5 bridge over I-705 in Tacoma by Washington State Dept of Transportation, on Flickr

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban