daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #12021
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The season finale by Freewayjim, I-15 from Primm, Nevada to Barstow, California.

Brace yourself for some terrible lane discipline But the scenery is great. Unusual to see that much traffic through such a long desolate stretch of desert landscape.

Behold Zzyzx Rd roughly halfway through, alphabetically the last road in the World. It sounds extraterrestrial.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

AsHalt, nick.english.dept liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #12022
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
As someone who has studied this academically, I can say with confidence that there very much WAS a racial aspect in many cities.
But was it really a race-based issue or just a "let's build a road and the cheapest land corridor is through these neighborhoods" which happened to be mostly black?

typo86 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #12023
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

The latter. Land was designated as being "blighted" if there was an African-American living on the block. No matter what the actual condition of the land or property value was.

TM_Germany, typo86 liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #12024
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
As someone who has studied this academically, I can say with confidence that there very much WAS a racial aspect in many cities.
I too have studied this academically, and can tell you that the major driving forces were: Deindustrialization and suburbs. This concept of it was all about race is a ridiculous notion. Land became blighted due to people migrating out of the cities, and thus devaluing property, which either ended up becoming abandoned due to no demand for housing or was demolished entirely. Because factories were either outsourced across seas, or relocated to newer failities along the highways outside the cities and around suburbia, businesses and people left the cities. That's why nearly every American city, beside a few, experienced massive population decline. In the 70s alone New York lost 700,000 people. The main cause is deindustrialization. Supply and Demand. A large supply of houses, but a negative demand curve for residences. Before the freeways, American cities were largely populated by blue collar industrial workers. Once the industry left, so went the workers.

Last edited by Joshua Dodd; February 28th, 2017 at 10:21 PM.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 02:51 AM   #12025
typo86

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
I too have studied this academically, and can tell you that the major driving forces were: Deindustrialization and suburbs. This concept of it was all about race is a ridiculous notion. Land became blighted due to people migrating out of the cities, and thus devaluing property, which either ended up becoming abandoned due to no demand for housing or was demolished entirely. Because factories were either outsourced across seas, or relocated to newer failities along the highways outside the cities and around suburbia, businesses and people left the cities. That's why nearly every American city, beside a few, experienced massive population decline. In the 70s alone New York lost 700,000 people. The main cause is deindustrialization. Supply and Demand. A large supply of houses, but a negative demand curve for residences. Before the freeways, American cities were largely populated by blue collar industrial workers. Once the industry left, so went the workers.
He didn't say it was a "major force" or "it was all about race"...pay attention. It was a force though, glossing over it won't change that fact.

Quote:
This. There was absolutely was a racial element in the construction of the Interstate System through cities. People get so triggered when race is mentioned, as if they're being attacked.

AsHalt, TM_Germany, Billpa liked this post

Last edited by typo86; March 1st, 2017 at 02:57 AM.
typo86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 04:16 AM   #12026
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
This. There was absolutely was a racial element in the construction of the Interstate System through cities. People get so triggered when race is mentioned, as if they're being attacked.
How so? The Interstate System would have happened regardless and it still would have gone through cities. The main reason many highways ended up going through minority neighborhoods was the land having less value and the residents having less political power to fight the construction.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 04:50 AM   #12027
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

THIS LOOKS AMAZING!

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 06:32 AM   #12028
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
How so? The Interstate System would have happened regardless and it still would have gone through cities. The main reason many highways ended up going through minority neighborhoods was the land having less value and the residents having less political power to fight the construction.
The land was devalued BECAUSE of their race, for one thing.

Pay attention to who was responsible. Senators like Strom Thurmond and various Dixiecrats wrote in discriminatory policies into virtually every possible act they could.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 08:19 AM   #12029
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:

Pay attention to who was responsible. Senators like Strom Thurmond and various Dixiecrats wrote in discriminatory policies into virtually every possible act they could.
Right but that had nothing to do with the Interstate system and more so society back in those days.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:57 PM   #12030
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
There was absolutely was a racial element in the construction of the Interstate System through cities. People get so triggered when race is mentioned, as if they're being attacked.
Explain with academic sources exactly how there was a racial motive behind the construction of freeways in cities. Vox and Buzzfeed are not credible academic sources, btw.

Kanadzie, Zack Fair liked this post
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:59 PM   #12031
Joshua Dodd

Quote:

So it had nothing to do with the fact that people were moving out of the cities driving down demand, which thus devalued land value?
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:20 PM   #12032
sotonsi

Quote:
How could poor African-Americans buy the land in the first place if it wasn't cheap? You've put the cart before the horse there.

There's a problem, that has actually grown since the 60s, that African-Americans and poor people living in cities are very much overlapping groups. 'White flight' wasn't due to race as much as money, but the poor people in cities were mostly non-white and the rich people mostly white.

KIWIKAAS liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:25 PM   #12033
fredcalif

Likes (Received): 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
How could poor African-Americans buy the land in the first place if it wasn't cheap? You've put the cart before the horse there.

There's a problem, that has actually grown since the 60s, that African-Americans and poor people living in cities are very much overlapping groups. 'White flight' wasn't due to race as much as money, but the poor people in cities were mostly non-white and the rich people mostly white.
Enough, this is a topic about Highways, not Race
that happened decades ago, America is different now

g.spinoza, AsHalt liked this post
fredcalif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:35 PM   #12034
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

It happened decades ago, but the consequences are still felt today. Many interstates still divide communities of racial minorities in cities across the country, and there's not much that can be done to "heal" the division (park lids and highway removals can't reverse decades of decay). Neighborhoods near freeways are faced with air pollution (linked with dementia and respiratory diseases), concentrated poverty, and lower quality of life.

And even new freeways still chose the past of least resistance, aka the corridor with the poorest residents that can't attend hundreds of public hearings and force politicians to stall or block projects.

As for academic studies of the link between freeway planning and racism, here's a few scholarly works and books on the subject: Racial Bias and Interstate Highway Planning: A
Mixed Methods Approach
; The Folklore of the Freeway: Race and Revolt in the Modernist City; The Role of Highways in American Poverty; The Interstates and the Cities: Highways, Housing, and the Freeway Revolt.
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:51 PM   #12035
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
Yes, and if you read the post of mine you quoted, you'll see that that is my point!

It's 00Zy99 and Vox who are trying to make it about race to push an anti-highway agenda.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 11:45 PM   #12036
NFZANMNIM

Likes (Received): 819

In a nation where geographical locations down to several hundred meters (yards, whatevz :P ) and preferred modes of transport in the same urban area are correlated with race, highways and any other transportation talk will somehow become racial one time or another.

AsHalt liked this post
NFZANMNIM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2017, 06:00 AM   #12037
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcalif View Post
that happened decades ago, America is different now
Bark at the ones doing the race baiting.
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:08 AM   #12038
Sic'EmBears

Likes (Received): 2468

North Tarrant Express January update:

Old March 6th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #12039
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

I-35 Troy, Texas

Two generations of freeway in Troy, Texas. It is part of a project to expand I-35 to six lanes. The bridge on the left will carry future southbound traffic. The current underpass will be filled in and a second viaduct will be constructed similar to the one on the left.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

nick.english.dept liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #12040
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
this photo excites me :o

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban