daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:16 AM   #12081
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

You should do that with Cities Skylines

AsHalt liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:02 PM   #12082
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

SC4 still allows tremendous customization and even now, 14 years after its release, is a more realistic looking game than the cartoony C:S.

It requires a lot more work and modding to make a good looking SC4 interchange (and by extension a city), but in the end it really looks fantastic. Not crapping on C:S though, it did a fantastic job and took the helm of the genre after the disaster that was Simcity 2013.

AsHalt, NFZANMNIM, Haljackey liked this post
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 12:47 AM   #12083
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Someone already made the Carolina Bay Parkway double trumpet on Cities: Skylines:

Doesn't look that cartoony to me

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...=carolina+bays
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:55 AM   #12084
Exethalion
Remember Me

Likes (Received): 645

That is heavily modded as well.
Exethalion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:39 PM   #12085
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Video of Interstate 99 in New York State into Pennslyvania:

Highway89, Luki_SL liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 09:07 PM   #12086
Highway89

Likes (Received): 1180

Great video as always.

Is there a reason why the US-15 in Pennsylvania is yet to be designated as I-99? Does it need to be approved by the FHWA?
Highway89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:21 PM   #12087
sotonsi

not up to standards for parts of it.

And I think PA want to designate the whole lot in one go and decommission US15 north of I-80 at the same time.

Highway89 liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 01:24 AM   #12088
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
not up to standards for parts of it.

And I think PA want to designate the whole lot in one go and decommission US15 north of I-80 at the same time.
I drove US-220 for the first time between I-80 and Williamsport last fall (not at the same time that this video was taken), and I was surprised at how far from interstate standard it is. It doesn't seem like I-99 is going to be extended between New York and I-80 anytime soon.

US-15 between Williamsport and New York is definitely already up to interstate standard though.
Old March 25th, 2017, 07:32 PM   #12089
sonysnob

Some photos of I-85 through Atlanta:

Two views looking southerly from 17th St NW:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/GA/I/75/...ep16_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/GA/I/75/...ep16_24x16.jpg

Views looking first south and then north from Peachtree Street

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/GA/I/85/...ep16_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/GA/I/85/...ep16_24x16.jpg
Old March 26th, 2017, 06:04 AM   #12090
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
Video of Interstate 99 in New York State into Pennslyvania:

Nice! I drive this route a few times a year on my way to Buffalo.

It used to take my dad up to 9 hours from drive from Wilmington to Buffalo, or vice versa, back in the 1980s when US Route 15 between Williamsport to Painted Post was two lanes, and especially when NY Route 17 & I-390 didn't exist and NY 415 was needed. (It was 9 hours with little kids like myself.) Now it takes 7.5 hours with kids, and I can get to Buffalo in 6 hours depending on when I leave. It's amazing how much time was shaved off with these expressways.

mrsmartman, Luki_SL, Buffaboy liked this post
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 03:09 PM   #12091
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Nice! I drive this route a few times a year on my way to Buffalo.

It used to take my dad up to 9 hours from drive from Wilmington to Buffalo, or vice versa, back in the 1980s when US Route 15 between Williamsport to Painted Post was two lanes, and especially when NY Route 17 & I-390 didn't exist and NY 415 was needed. (It was 9 hours with little kids like myself.) Now it takes 7.5 hours with kids, and I can get to Buffalo in 6 hours depending on when I leave. It's amazing how much time was shaved off with these expressways.
It's always seemed surprising to me that during the start of the interstate era in the 1950s there was never an interstate connection leading directly southerly from Buffalo. In the 1950s, Buffalo was a much more prominent city than it is to day, coupled with the fact that it serves a major international border crossing. The connections the south accessible from the Thruway aren't bad... but it's still always seemed like a major gap in the interstate network.

Kanadzie liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #12092
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
It's always seemed surprising to me that during the start of the interstate era in the 1950s there was never an interstate connection leading directly southerly from Buffalo. In the 1950s, Buffalo was a much more prominent city than it is to day, coupled with the fact that it serves a major international border crossing. The connections the south accessible from the Thruway aren't bad... but it's still always seemed like a major gap in the interstate network.
The idea of a southern expressway is still being pushed; a 4 mile extension happened almost 10 years ago from the stub left in the 1970s.

Since then, mudslides, Seneca Nation claims, and costs have made the idea fade into relative obscurity. I would love to see this project move forward.

Another pipe dream of a project I'd like to see happen is a Buffalo outer loop, that would run in the vicinity of Pavement Road in Lancaster down to Elma and up to Clarence, Amherst and Wheatfield. This would allow traffic relief in the eastern suburbs to dissipate better, and allow Canadian traffic to head to Lewiston without using I-290.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:49 AM   #12093
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Yeah, the Toronto-New York connection frankly sucks especially considering their importance, whereas Toronto-Detroit/Chicago, Vancouver-Seattle and Montreal-New York are excellent...

The US 219 freeway extension is nice. I drove it a few years ago with a new GPS receiver and it started freaking out, saying to take U-turns, as the little car flew over rivers and forests But its only but a few moments of bliss before you end up in windy, no-passing zone land for hours...
Old March 28th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #12094
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Toronto - eastern seaboard, other than Boston, is pretty poor. A more direct connection to NYC would cut travel times to the entire Eastern US - Washington, Philly, etc.

Buffaboy liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 02:21 AM   #12095
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Toronto - eastern seaboard, other than Boston, is pretty poor. A more direct connection to NYC would cut travel times to the entire Eastern US - Washington, Philly, etc.
IMO to fulfill this, a link between NY 400 and I-390 is needed, preferably starting west of the overpass at W Blood Road and heading east to Mount Morris, where it would join at I-390 just SE of the village, OR southeast and intersecting in Byersville near Coffee Hill Road. From there it would continue along a completed I-86/NY-17 to Woodbury.

There aren't any concrete plans on the table for anything like this (expect I-86 conversion that's a bit stalled), but the idea I came up with above has been discussed by officials before.

What could an interstate designation of such a highway be?
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 02:46 AM   #12096
sonysnob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
IMO to fulfill this, a link between NY 400 and I-390 is needed, preferably starting west of the overpass at W Blood Road and heading east to Mount Morris, where it would join at I-390 just SE of the village, OR southeast and intersecting in Byersville near Coffee Hill Road. From there it would continue along a completed I-86/NY-17 to Woodbury.

There aren't any concrete plans on the table for anything like this (expect I-86 conversion that's a bit stalled), but the idea I came up with above has been discussed by officials before.

What could an interstate designation of such a highway be?
Designate it at I-99, and leave I-390 as is north of the I-99 split.
Old March 30th, 2017, 06:07 AM   #12097
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Yeah, the Toronto-New York connection frankly sucks especially considering their importance, whereas Toronto-Detroit/Chicago, Vancouver-Seattle and Montreal-New York are excellent...

The US 219 freeway extension is nice. I drove it a few years ago with a new GPS receiver and it started freaking out, saying to take U-turns, as the little car flew over rivers and forests But its only but a few moments of bliss before you end up in windy, no-passing zone land for hours...
Toronto to New York City via QEW>Highway 405>I-190>I-290>I-90>I-390>I-86/NY 17>I-87>I-287 is pretty direct. You can't get much more direct for a lot of that route.
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #12098
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

The I-90 - I-390 part is the only weak link.

Plus I find I-86/17s 55mph speed limit fairly painful. 55mph speed limits are a pain in general.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #12099
sonysnob

Route 63 through Batavia is not a bad alternate to cut the corner off of the highway mileage between I-90 and I-390, but I agree it would be nicer it was a full freeway.

I tend to shunpike and avoid the NYS Thruway whenever I am in western New York. The last time I went down towards Baltimore, I used Route 400 South from Buffalo, and then a combination of Routes 98, 243 and 19 to pick up I-86. It's obviously not an all freeway routing, but aside from a couple of traffic signals along Route 39, it's a pretty low traffic route. Plus, New York has a lot of really scenic little small towns.
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:00 AM   #12100
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The I-90 - I-390 part is the only weak link.

Plus I find I-86/17s 55mph speed limit fairly painful. 55mph speed limits are a pain in general.
Actually, 55 mph is the most economical speed to drive.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban