daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2017, 02:26 AM   #12101
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Horseshoe Project is just about done now.

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2017, 02:26 AM   #12102
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

It looks like the main lanes of I-85 in Atlanta have just collapsed due a large fire underneath an overpass. Rumor has it there were a bunch of those big spools stored under the bridge and they fueled the blaze.

Traffic is going to be...interesting.

http://www.11alive.com/news/massive-...anta/426986746

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Tom 958, AsHalt liked this post
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 01:30 PM   #12103
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Yup, clearly visible in Google street view

Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 03:24 PM   #12104
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

This is a huge problem, as the corridor (I-85 and GA-13) carries almost 300,000 vehicles per day, including 222,000 on I-85 itself.

Hopefully the southbound bridge can reopen soon, perhaps detouring northbound traffic via GA-13 in a contraflow configuration. Edit: they say the southbound bridge is also compromised.

This incident reveals the vulnerability of the Atlanta freeway system, it has a small mileage for its population size, everything is funneled onto huge freeways, but if one of those is closed for a prolonged period of time, it results in massive congestion throughout the region.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

AsHalt, Luki_SL, Buffaboy liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; March 31st, 2017 at 03:44 PM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 08:48 PM   #12105
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An update was given concerning the I-85 bridge fire and collapse in Atlanta.

They say both the southbound and northbound bridges need to be replaced, 3 sections each. It could take months.

The main problem will be detouring that kind of traffic volume. GA 13 may reopen soon, it could absorb some traffic from I-85 but not directly from GA 400, and has only four lanes (it used to be I-85 until the current ten lane freeway opened in 1985).

The detour routes all end up on I-285, but the interchanges where traffic has to change from I-75 or I-20 to I-285 only have single lane connectors. Especially the northern part of I-285 is already notoriously congested even without an I-85 closure.

Long-distance traffic can easily bypass this section by using I-285, semi trucks are already obliged to take I-285 around Atlanta. So most traffic on I-85 likely has a destination or origin in and around Downtown / Midtown Atlanta. This means the arterial road system will absorb a major part of the traffic. People can only take so many days off from work, especially with a 'several month' event like this. MARTA recorded a 25% ridership increase.

This event likely exceeds the 2007 I-35W Saint Anthony Falls Bridge collapse in Minneapolis in terms of traffic impact. Minneapolis has a grid-like freeway system and relatively numerous alternate routes and river crossings. But the I-35W Saint Anthony Falls Bridge carried substantially less traffic at that time (around 150,000). During the rebuilding of the bridge, they converted an arterial road into a temporary freeway by blocking off side streets. I don't think that will be possible in Atlanta.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie, g.spinoza liked this post
Old March 31st, 2017, 09:16 PM   #12106
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

This incident reveals the vulnerability of the Atlanta freeway system, it has a small mileage for its population size, everything is funneled onto huge freeways, but if one of those is closed for a prolonged period of time, it results in massive congestion throughout the region.
Reminds me of the 2008 Toronto Propane Explosion, but that was temporary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_propane_explosion

Luckily no one was seriously hurt or killed in this collapse, right? I haven't seen that in the reports. That's a big plus.

My Simcity Stuff
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 09:52 PM   #12107
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

The Toronto event just closed the 401 for a few hours, as the explosion itself was a couple hundred metres north of the highway. It was only done as a precaution.

The closure of I-85 is going to be a complete crapshoot on a scale that I don't think the US has really seen. Previous freeway collapses (I-35, Embarcadero) were lower traffic and far less important to the regional economy. Heck, they never even replaced the Embarcadero.

Kanadzie liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 11:05 PM   #12108
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A quick count:

12 beams, 3 sections, 2 bridges. That's 72 beams total. 350 feet of bridge need to be replaced for each side. That is a total of 8,400 ft or 1.6 miles of beams that need to be manufactured on short notice.

That is why it will take several months to replace the six sections. Also, not just the beams and deck need to be replaced, but the support columns as well.
Old April 4th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #12109
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
It looks like the main lanes of I-85 in Atlanta have just collapsed due a large fire underneath an overpass. Rumor has it there were a bunch of those big spools stored under the bridge and they fueled the blaze.

Traffic is going to be...interesting.

http://www.11alive.com/news/massive-...anta/426986746

how is that possible???

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #12110
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-85, Atlanta

GDOT anticipates I-85 could reopen by June 15.

Old April 5th, 2017, 01:09 AM   #12111
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 431

How do people in Atlanta cope? There are few alternatives along this route and they can't exactly all take a couple of months off. I expect to see an increase in MARTA ridership but not nearly to the extent of accounting for everyone that drives by there everyday normally.

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.

Last edited by TM_Germany; April 5th, 2017 at 11:02 AM.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #12112
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Apparently MARTA has seen a 25% increase in daily ridership, which I believe means about 100,000, or around half of all I-85 traffic.
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #12113
BlazerBlaze

Likes (Received): 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
How do people in Atlanta cope? There are few alternatives along this route and they can't exactly all take a couple of months off. I expect to see an increase in MARTA ridership but not nearly to the extent of accounting for everyone that drives by there everyday normally.
We're avoiding the area like the plague. A lot of businesses have been good about letting their employees work from home or shift their hours around. It sucks but we'll make it through.
BlazerBlaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #12114
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Apparently MARTA has seen a 25% increase in daily ridership, which I believe means about 100,000, or around half of all I-85 traffic.
What'd be interesting to see is how many people never go back to cars once the bridge is repaired.
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #12115
The-E-Vid
Politically Incorrect

Likes (Received): 794

I remember something similar happened 10 years ago in the McArthut maze, (a main conector btw San Francisco and Oakland bay bridge) a tanker truck crashed and exploded the fire melted the section above it and ultimatelly making it collapse during the night and next morning the traffic jam all over East Bay was epic!.. I can't believe it's been 10 years! and it happened around this time of the year too! April/29/2007.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/us...-collapse.html

It took them just 26 days to rebuild it.
Here's a documentary, it's lover 20 min long but has some good insight and images while you fastforward.

The-E-Vid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #12116
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The figure came at a time when both I-85 and GA-13 were closed, that's almost 300,000 vehicles per day (on average 360,000 people at 1.2 vehicle occupancy rate). However, it is unclear to me if that was systemwide or on nearby rail corridors. The two longest rail routes of MARTA happen to run alongside the affected corridors (I-85 and GA-400).
Old April 6th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #12117
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Yup. I suspect that number will decline as time moves on.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people get in the habit of taking the train over the next 6 months and just keep at it afterwards though. Of course I don't expect that 25% gain to remain in place.. but it could decline to say, 5% and stay that way and I wouldn't be surprise.

Also isn't one direction of GA-13 still closed? It isn't much use if you can drive in during the morning rush but can't drive back.

That said, I'm looking at google maps traffic right now in the middle of rush hour (5:23pm EST), and traffic looks fine beyond the closure. Atlanta looks generally traffic free.
Old April 14th, 2017, 03:34 AM   #12118
EMArg

Likes (Received): 30494

Interstate 80, 580, 880 and Bay Bridge (Oakland & San Francisco)

Shot two years ago:

Argentina - Brazil - Chile - Colombia - Italy - Panama - Perú - Uruguay
Boston - New York City - California

Luki_SL, jchernin, nick.english.dept liked this post
EMArg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #12119
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17032

Quote:
Verrazano Narrows Bridge

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 06:12 AM   #12120
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I've been under that bridge before on several cruise ships...although I didn't recognize it from the picture. I call it the "door to NYC's harbor."
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban