daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2017, 06:04 PM   #12181
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Night vid of I-35 through Austin Texas:

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:50 PM   #12182
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I-75 Sarasota, Florida

The world's largest diverging diamond interchange opens to traffic today near Sarasota, Florida.

It's a ten-lane (!!) diverging diamond interchange. Up until now there were mostly four or six-lane DDIs built. I believe it's also the first or one of the first in Florida.

The interchange is located along I-75 / University Parkway.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any good photos yet, here's a construction photo (notice the BGS on the left side)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 09:15 PM   #12183
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A traffic cam screenshot:

Old May 22nd, 2017, 12:59 AM   #12184
Joshua Dodd

Likes (Received): 1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
With the notable difference that Amsterdam didn't lose most of it's building substance to parking lots, which is the only point I've been trying to make, Jesus. Everybody get back in your pants.

I don't doubt that Houston was (and is) doing well economically but it's certainly not a "thriving city" (now it has become a whole lot better, it was at its worst in the 1960s and 70s, I believe). To be a "thriving city", it actually has to be a city with an actual urban fabric first, not just parking lots interspersed with some high-rises, connecting streets and freeway ramps. What you said was actually part of the point I was making. What happened to Houston was good for the economy (arguably, other cities that shared simililar fates didn't and don't do very well) but bad for the city, as it more or less ceased to exist.

Source: PlannerDan.com (Photo by Alex MacLean)

Does this look like an actual city to you? It's at best a big, centrally located office park - no quality of life whatsoever, if it's even possible to live there.

Don't get so emotional. At no point was I arguing about the human suffering in WWII, which of course was terrible and has nothing to compare to in the U.S. I was referencing to how the cities as structures seemed to fare seemingly similarly destructive fates on both continents, one with violence, one without. I thought it should be clear to everyone that the comparison was rather exaggerated, I was proven wrong.
Again. Suburbia and deindustrialization.
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:20 AM   #12185
The ATX

Likes (Received): 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
With the notable difference that Amsterdam didn't lose most of it's building substance to parking lots, which is the only point I've been trying to make, Jesus. Everybody get back in your pants.

I don't doubt that Houston was (and is) doing well economically but it's certainly not a "thriving city" (now it has become a whole lot better, it was at its worst in the 1960s and 70s, I believe). To be a "thriving city", it actually has to be a city with an actual urban fabric first, not just parking lots interspersed with some high-rises, connecting streets and freeway ramps. What you said was actually part of the point I was making. What happened to Houston was good for the economy (arguably, other cities that shared simililar fates didn't and don't do very well) but bad for the city, as it more or less ceased to exist.

Does this look like an actual city to you? It's at best a big, centrally located office park - no quality of life whatsoever, if it's even possible to live there.

Don't get so emotional. At no point was I arguing about the human suffering in WWII, which of course was terrible and has nothing to compare to in the U.S. I was referencing to how the cities as structures seemed to fare seemingly similarly destructive fates on both continents, one with violence, one without. I thought it should be clear to everyone that the comparison was rather exaggerated, I was proven wrong.
That's an old Houston photo. The parking lots have been developed.

Zack Fair, brewerfan386, LAYiddo liked this post
The ATX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 05:40 AM   #12186
SRQgator

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The world's largest diverging diamond interchange opens to traffic today near Sarasota, Florida.

It's a ten-lane (!!) diverging diamond interchange. Up until now there were mostly four or six-lane DDIs built. I believe it's also the first or one of the first in Florida.

The interchange is located along I-75 / University Parkway.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any good photos yet, here's a construction photo (notice the BGS on the left side)
Saw this video on Twitter, some great shots on there.

Old May 24th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #12187
Joshua Dodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany

Yes, it looks like an extremely vibrant city with quality of life and a large concentration of residence. (Same view today)

Old May 27th, 2017, 04:50 AM   #12188
sonysnob

Night video of the Century Freeway in LA:

Old June 2nd, 2017, 03:03 PM   #12189
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-45 Gulf Freeway, Texas

The eight lane expansion of the Gulf Freeway is moving southward into Galveston County. The expansion has been mostly completed in Harris County, stretching to near the NASA Bypass in Webster.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Joshua Dodd, LAYiddo liked this post
Old June 4th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #12190
Joshua Dodd

Now if TxDOT would do something about the Dallas portion of 45...
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #12191
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 35 in Texas

TxDOT has planned a public meeting for the expansion of a 16 mile segment of I-35 in North Texas, from the I-35E/I-35W split to FM 3002 in Cooke County, through and north of Denton. This section of I-35 will be expanded from four to six lanes and the frontage roads will be expanded to two lanes in each direction with one-way operations.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/ge...as/062217.html

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, Joshua Dodd liked this post
Old June 7th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #12192
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-71, Ohio

Interstate 71 north of Columbus, Ohio.

Photos by ODOT.
Old June 14th, 2017, 02:30 AM   #12193
Stuck in Bama

Likes (Received): 2772

"It's going to be a nightmare"

Truckers, business prepare for closing of I-20/59 bridges.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...short_home_pop
Stuck in Bama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:51 AM   #12194
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 847

About that I-20/59 Bridge replacement: I did support the development of a tunnel to replace that bridge in the past, but this page details the reasons that made such a tunnel unfeasible. Space constraints, utility relocation, traffic operations issues, cost, etc..

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:00 PM   #12195
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-16 / I-75 interchange, Macon, GA

GDOT broke ground last week on the $ 500 million project to reconstruct the I-16 / I-75 interchange in Macon.

It is a multi-phase project. Some portions are planned for completion in 2021, but other portions won't be going to bid until 2021-2023. It includes an expansion of I-16 as well.

before:

after:
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:54 AM   #12196
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1673

Cool project. That's a ginormous amount of lanes to find on a section of highway in place like Macon, even if it is just an intersection.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:56 AM   #12197
gregduh

Likes (Received): 35

Was that first picture from a Sunday morning? Seems a little overzealous from someone not familiar with the location.

Kanadzie liked this post
gregduh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:43 AM   #12198
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Evidently they want to build a collector/express system with nearby exits on I-16 and I-75, which results in a wide freeway footprint for a city the size of Macon.

They also reconstructed the I-75 / I-475 interchange south of Macon in a similar fashion. It looks quite nice.

zaphod liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:47 AM   #12199
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Florida

Earlier this year Florida has wrapped up several I-75 expansion projects. Apart from a small stretch of I-75 near Punta Gorda that will be under construction soon, the freeway now has six lanes all the way from Naples to the Georgia border. That's 370 miles / almost 600 kilometers of six (or more) lanes, possibly one of the longest 6+ lane stretches of freeway in the U.S. The six lane freeway continues all the way across Georgia as well, so there is basically six or more lanes from Naples to Chattanooga (over 700 miles / 1200 km).

FDOT has been extensively six-laning freeways in Florida, apart from the large scale I-75 expansion they have also been expanding I-95 along the east coast and parts of I-4 in the past 5-10 years.

In addition, Florida has also been undertaking large metropolitan express lane projects in South Florida (Miami area) and Orlando, with more planned for Tampa and even some under construction in Jacksonville.

Some have argued that freeways were built on the cheap in the southeast in the 1960s. At that time there was much less population and traffic. Florida had only 5 million people in 1960 compared to 20 million today.
Old June 24th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #12200
sonysnob

Interstate 5 in California approaching the I-805 interchange in northern San Diego:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/5/I...pr17_24x16.jpg

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban