daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 11th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #12341
wgerman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
Click View and then Historical Imagery
Thank you.
wgerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #12342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Let's go home

Traffic returning to Florida after Hurricane Irma.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 01:01 AM   #12343
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Media keep warning them that there are enormous power outages.
On the other hand, Atlanta got Irma yesterday, so if you went up there....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #12344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-820 Fort Worth, Texas

TxDOT has presented plans for the I-820 East expansion project, along the east side of Fort Worth. The project runs from SH 121 in the north to I-30 in the south.

The plan;

* 1 express lane in each direction on the I-820 / SH 121 concurrency
* expansion of I-820 / SH 121 concurrency to 6 general purpose lanes in each direction
* expansion of I-820 between SH121 and I-30 to 5 general purpose lanes in each direction

There will be 21 lanes under the Hurst Boulevard overpass, plus 3 frontage road lanes on either side. That makes a cross-section of 27 lanes, with 21 of those being freeway / express lanes.

Some screenshots of the schematics (north = right).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, wkiehl101 liked this post
Old September 16th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #12345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

winter is here

the first winter storm of the season is arriving in Montana, this is I-15 north of Butte:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

xXFallenXx, wkiehl101, brewerfan386 liked this post
Old September 16th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #12346
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

That's very early winter storm...
Old September 16th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #12347
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
the first winter storm of the season is arriving in Montana, this is I-15 north of Butte:

NOOOOO!
It's too soon!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 16th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #12348
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Video of I-635 in Dallas, Texas:

Highway89, zaphod, Luki_SL liked this post
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:12 AM   #12349
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

!
http://www.phillyvoice.com/pennsylva...content=Detour

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #12350
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are other detours to be considered that are not nearly as long;

* I-80 east in Ohio and then I-79 south (26 mi longer)
* I-376 through Pittsburgh (12 mi longer)
* I-376 and US 422 (30 mi longer)

Not to mention secondary roads (though they will likely clog up). The posted detour via 376, 80 and 79 is not 80 miles longer though, but some 60 miles.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #12351
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17391

To demolish and replace a bridge in three days, it`s real big challange

Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #12352
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are other detours to be considered that are not nearly as long;

* I-80 east in Ohio and then I-79 south (26 mi longer)
* I-376 through Pittsburgh (12 mi longer)
* I-376 and US 422 (30 mi longer)

Not to mention secondary roads (though they will likely clog up). The posted detour via 376, 80 and 79 is not 80 miles longer though, but some 60 miles.
Yeah, I just read more carefully. It does seem a bit silly to go all the way up 376 to 80, then come back down 79. It's as if they want you to use every inch of the Turnpike except the closed segment. Whereas if you're trying to get from some point in Ohio to east-of-Cranberry, just take 80 and 79; this only makes sense if you're actually trying to get from some point near one end of the closure to some point near the other, in which case there are other routes... (I don't know the Pittsburgh area that well, but something involving Pa. 51 to I-79...?) I suppose they're trying to keep the masses of traffic off the local roads.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:47 PM   #12353
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ohio

Metric along I-71 in Ohio in the 1970s.

Old September 21st, 2017, 09:36 PM   #12354
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maryland

Governor Hogan Announces Widening of I-270, Capital Beltway (I-495), and Baltimore-Washington Parkway (MD 295)

$9 Billion Traffic Relief Plan, Largest Highway P3 in North America RFI Released Today

Delivering on his commitment to provide innovative transportation solutions for Maryland, Governor Larry Hogan today announced the administration’s plans to add four new lanes to I-270, the Capital Beltway (I-495), and the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (MD 295).

Today’s announcement officially begins the process to solicit the Public-Private Partnership (P3) industry for input and solutions to provide major congestion relief to these key transportation routes. With the total project estimated value at $9 billion, the P3 portion to add four new lanes on both I-495 and I-270 is the largest proposed P3 highway project in North America.

The P3 will be seeking private developers to design, build, finance, operate, and maintain new lanes on I-495 between the American Legion Bridge and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and on I-270 between I-495 and I-70. Once completed, the Traffic Relief Plan will deliver new express toll lanes, in addition to existing lanes, on I-495, I-270, and MD 295.

The first step to build new express toll lanes on MD 295 will begin with the transfer of MD 295 from the U.S. Department of the Interior to the Maryland Transportation Authority. Governor Hogan has already personally started this process during a recent meeting with Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke and has directed MDOT officials to move forward with the transfer negotiations. Following the transfer, the Maryland Transportation Authority would then build, operate, and maintain the new lanes and maintain existing lanes between Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
Full press release: https://governor.maryland.gov/2017/0...arkway-md-295/

This is a huge plan. $ 9 billion worth of new tolled express lanes, two in each direction. That would be similar to the I-495 express lanes in Virginia and the I-95 express lanes northeast of Baltimore.

I-495 is extremely busy with 200,000 - 250,000 vehicles per day on mostly eight lanes. I-270 maxes out at 261,000 vehicles per day, making it the busiest in Maryland. The Baltimore-Washington Parkway is operated by the National Park Service so they need to transfer the parkway to the State Highway Administration of Maryland before they can do any work on it.

wkiehl101 liked this post
Old September 21st, 2017, 09:44 PM   #12355
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2087

I've always been puzzled by express toll lanes. I've driven US 36 in the Denver area and saw one. It is a single lane, why would anyone want to drive there? How can you overtake someone slower than you?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:19 PM   #12356
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It is a single lane, why would anyone want to drive there?
When the main lanes are clogged with traffic.

I hope you understand that the point of those toll lanes is to be able to pass traffic jams, so if there is no traffic jam then no, they dont really have a use.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:22 PM   #12357
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The express lanes announced today will all have two lanes in each direction, according to the press release.

I do agree that having at least 2 tolled express lanes has the most added value. The toll rates are pretty steep. Not being able to pass another vehicle may not be a problem on short express lanes, but the express lanes announced today are much longer, I-495 is over 40 miles long in Maryland alone.
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:36 PM   #12358
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4266

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I've always been puzzled by express toll lanes. I've driven US 36 in the Denver area and saw one. It is a single lane, why would anyone want to drive there? How can you overtake someone slower than you?
There are two express toll lanes for I-95 in Maryland north of Baltimore. (There are also two express toll lanes for I-95 in northern Virginia.) So you can pass people like you would otherwise. The express lanes in Maryland also have a couple express-only interchanges, although the primary purpose is to allow people to bypass the congested intersection of I-95 and the northern part of the I-695 beltway.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 01:44 AM   #12359
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
When the main lanes are clogged with traffic.

I hope you understand that the point of those toll lanes is to be able to pass traffic jams, so if there is no traffic jam then no, they dont really have a use.
The "HOV/HOT" lanes in the Toronto area are rather terrible for this reason. The single lane is usually OK when the other lanes are jammed with traffic - you can maybe run 80 or 100 km/h instead of stopped. But, the restriction on the lane is 24 hours per day instead of just 6-9, 15-18 like other states & provinces, so at midday, say 12:00 or at night when traffic moves well, you can easily get stuck behind someone driving only 100 km/h when the traffic moves 130+ in the other lanes.

Similarly sometimes the HOV lane gets congested completely and the regular lanes will roll 20 or 30 km/h while you're stopped
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #12360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban