daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #12421
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Bicycles and pedestrians are usually guided through the median, which means they have to cross over four times. DDIs are better suited for rural or suburban locations with few or no cyclists and pedestrians, or if nearby alternate routes are available for them.
Four. Which is the same number of crossings as a diamond interchange with right turn channels. No interchange design is exceptionally good for pedestrian and bicycles. A diverging diamond doesn't seem really any worse than a more conventional interchange to me either.

I actually like the fact that the median sidewalk tends to be barrier separated on a DDI interchange, up here in the great white north, conventional sidewalks on overpasses tend to end up getting used as snow storage instead of a pedestrian facility in the winter time.

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #12422
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Interstate 269 in Mississippi

I-269 in Northern Mississippi. It is part of an outer loop of Memphis. This section is planned to open soon.

Photo by 'Brooks' of the AAroads forum

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, wkiehl101 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #12423
sonysnob

Interstate 15 -- California.

The tolled express lanes in the median of the freeway has a movable central concrete median barrier. This allows the express lanes to be reconfigured from the pictured 2x2 configuration to a 3x1 configuration to better manage peak directional flows into San Diego:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/15/...pr16_24x16.jpg

Old November 20th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #12424
gregduh

Likes (Received): 35

Really nice pictures. That looks like it would be a lot of fun to drive on as long as traffic is moving well, with the combination of it being monstrous and winding through the geography. How is that barrier moved? I imagine some sort of truck pushes or pulls it over like a snow plow would clear a lane but of course with a different sort of attachment.
gregduh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 04:35 AM   #12425
sonysnob

^ The express lanes use a zipper barrier system. It's moved with a special zipper barrier machine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrier_transfer_machine
Old November 20th, 2017, 05:46 AM   #12426
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22926

I-287 across the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York State (single span - 7 lanes) used the same system before the bridge was replaced.

here's one on the Golden Gate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMkLcAstxgA

Last edited by Hudson11; November 20th, 2017 at 05:52 AM.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #12427
wgerman

Likes (Received): 8

6 free lanes northbound and southbound..........WOW! Even I-10 from west Houston to Katy, Texas is not that wide.
wgerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 02:57 AM   #12428
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

9 lanes in the peak direction too! First highway I've seen that matches the 401 in terms of peak direction capacity..
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:16 AM   #12429
gregduh

Likes (Received): 35

That's a sick machine, thanks for sharing that. I have never seen that kind of thing before. I think in terms of planning and land use, it's a more advantageous situation to have a really wide freeway instead of two or three that go roughly parallel, because people will always pick the shortest route anyway. So I have heard, at least. Nice seeing freeways like that in warm, dry climates too. They always look like they're in great shape, mostly.
gregduh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:11 PM   #12430
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-66 Northern Virginia

Governor McAuliffe and Partners Break Ground on I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes Project

~Virginia’s largest public-private partnership project to provide $3.7 billion in transportation improvements to I-66 Corridor in Northern Virginia~

Governor Terry McAuliffe today joined the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), Department of Rail and Public Transportation, federal, state and local partners, and the Commonwealth’s private partner, I-66 Express Mobility Partners (EMP), to break ground on the I-66 Outside the Beltway Express Lanes Project, which will deliver about $3.7 billion worth of transportation improvements benefitting Northern Virginia’s I-66 Corridor. Governor McAuliffe also announced that construction will be funded completely by the private consortium building the project and that the group has provided nearly $579 million for additional improvements in the corridor.

The project will modify nearly 23 miles of I-66 providing two express lanes in each direction alongside three regular lanes from I-495 to University Boulevard near Route 29 in Gainesville, with dedicated express lanes access points, and space in the median reserved for future transit.

Under a 50-year partnership agreement that protects the public, I-66 EMP assumes responsibility for all costs to design, build, operate and maintain the 66 Express Lanes. This agreement requires zero public investment and requires EMP to pay $800 million for transit service in the corridor and $350 million in other projects to improve the I-66 corridor over the next 50 years. The project’s financial close was reached on November 9, securing the funding necessary to move forward.

The express lanes are scheduled to open by the end of 2022. Key interim improvements are scheduled to be delivered ahead of 2022, such as more than 900 new commuter parking spaces by the summer of 2019, and improvements to the busy Route 28 involving the removal of traffic signals by the summer of 2020.
Full press release: https://governor.virginia.gov/newsro...rticleId=21812

This is one of the largest road projects in the United States;

* $ 3.7 billion
* 23 miles (42 km) of I-66 expansion
* 6 general purpose lanes
* 4 express lanes
* US 29 in Haymarket to I-495
* completion in 2022

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

wkiehl101 liked this post
Old November 21st, 2017, 08:13 PM   #12431
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post

TxDOT would be better off spending that $$$ completing the TX-45 beltway around the west side and the US-183 beltway around the east side IMO. Maybe make TX-360 a beltway as well. Or connecting TX-1 to I-35 at Round Rock and Buda...
If 45 west is ever completed, it will be the most expensive suburban highway in US history, and will face enormous, well-heeled opposition.

ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 08:28 PM   #12432
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It seems like Austin's version of Atlanta's never built Northern Arc.
Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:54 AM   #12433
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregduh View Post
I think in terms of planning and land use, it's a more advantageous situation to have a really wide freeway instead of two or three that go roughly parallel, because people will always pick the shortest route anyway. So I have heard, at least.
After a certain number of lanes, every new lane has less marginal benefit. Drivers have difficulty filling in empty spaces because they can't see (or change) lanes that are 5 lanes away from them. So, some lanes end up with slower traffic while some others are under occupied.

Also, if there is an emergency, the entire set of lanes in that direction could be shut down. If there are multiple smaller freeways, then there are always alternate routes available. One can see this benefit in collector express systems as well.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:04 AM   #12434
OakRidge

Likes (Received): 1462

I-430 bridge from Two Rivers Park by Arkansas Highways, on Flickr
in darkness." - Confessions (Book IV), Augustine of Hippo

"Laws are made for these reasons: that human wickedness
may be restrained through fear of their execution; that the
lives of innocent men may be safe among criminals; and
that the temptation to commit wrong may be restrained by
the fear of punishment." - The Visigothic Code (Book I, Title II, Part V)

OakRidge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 04:06 AM   #12435
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregduh View Post
That's a sick machine, thanks for sharing that. I have never seen that kind of thing before. I think in terms of planning and land use, it's a more advantageous situation to have a really wide freeway instead of two or three that go roughly parallel, because people will always pick the shortest route anyway. So I have heard, at least. Nice seeing freeways like that in warm, dry climates too. They always look like they're in great shape, mostly.
But different parallel roads may well be shorter for their users, like for example people who reside and work in a "north" area of an urban agglomeration, as opposed to an extra south/north jog to access a "central artery".
Old November 22nd, 2017, 06:01 AM   #12436
Sic'EmBears

Likes (Received): 2468

Conceptual interchange for I-35E @ U.S. 287 in Waxahachie, TX.

Would be DFW's southernmost interchange.

Old November 22nd, 2017, 05:32 PM   #12437
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It seems like Austin's version of Atlanta's never built Northern Arc.
It is, but if you were trying to put it in the middle of Marin County, CA. On the right, you'd have concerns about property values, and on the left, you'd have concerns about property values and environmental impact. It wouldn't surprise me to see 80% opposition in potentially impacted neighborhoods.

Add the rugged terrain, along with the requirement for commercial takings and a new bridge over the Colorado River, and the per-mile cost of the highway would be astronomical.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 08:42 PM   #12438
redspork02

Likes (Received): 815

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/933387579659112453

LA Thanksgiving day traffic made the NEWS. Again.......................

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Aerial footage shows traffic gridlock in Los Angeles as the Thanksgiving travel rush begins <a href="https://t.co/7CTE58NLuz">pic.twitter.com/7CTE58NLuz</a></p>&mdash; CNN (@CNN) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNN/status/933387579659112453?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 22, 2017</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!

Last edited by redspork02; November 22nd, 2017 at 08:52 PM.
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 02:04 AM   #12439
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
After a certain number of lanes, every new lane has less marginal benefit. Drivers have difficulty filling in empty spaces because they can't see (or change) lanes that are 5 lanes away from them. So, some lanes end up with slower traffic while some others are under occupied.

Also, if there is an emergency, the entire set of lanes in that direction could be shut down. If there are multiple smaller freeways, then there are always alternate routes available. One can see this benefit in collector express systems as well.
Thus collector express systems, allows the benefits of narrower highways while still providing a single corridor over all. You can comfortably get up to 10 lanes in each direction with that setup.

Abhishek901 liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2017, 08:04 AM   #12440
SounderBruce
Transit Photographer

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspork02 View Post
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/933387579659112453

LA Thanksgiving day traffic made the NEWS. Again.......................
A perfect depiction of induced demand. "The 405" (bleh) just got expanded at the cost of $1 billion and really doesn't look any different during peak periods.

The Sepulveda Pass Metro line can't come soon enough.
SounderBruce no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban