daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #12481
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

I don't know if people mentioned this before or not, but the Commonwealth of Virginia is infamous for being strict and harsh on speeding. Doing over 20 mph/32 kmh or over 80 mph/130 kmh regardless of speed limit is considered reckless driving, which is a Class 1 misdemeanor in Virginia. A driver can be fined up to $2500, 6 months suspension of you license, and jailed up to one year maximum. Sources:
https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-...-in-1613604053 and https://www.berniesez.com/what-happe...t-in-virginia/
LtBk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #12482
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

I've read about large amounts of troopers along Virginia's Interstates during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Those are some pretty strict laws, though going 20 mph over the speed limit is not exactly something you would do by accident. But the 80 mph threshold is very strict, 80 mph (130 km/h) is the most common speed limit in Europe, so it is obviously not on the threshold of 'reckless driving' in Europe.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

LAYiddo liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #12483
LAYiddo
Not in L.A.

Likes (Received): 3251

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I've read about large amounts of troopers along Virginia's Interstates during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Those are some pretty strict laws, though going 20 mph over the speed limit is not exactly something you would do by accident. But the 80 mph threshold is very strict, 80 mph (130 km/h) is the most common speed limit in Europe, so it is obviously not on the threshold of 'reckless driving' in Europe.
In the 60mph limits in the Houston area you can easily pass a cop / trooper at 75mph and they won't even blink an eye.

We do have 80mph speed limit sections in some parts of the state though
LAYiddo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #12484
LtBk

I forget to mention earlier that radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. It's the only state in the country that banned them and the police has a way of detecting them.

Last edited by LtBk; December 7th, 2017 at 11:42 PM.
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #12485
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Radar detectors are banned in most - if not all - European countries. However in most of Europe there isn't really something like troopers patrolling the highways. There is very few police presence on the road, most enforcement is by speed cameras (both mobile and stationary). People rely on apps like Waze that report speed traps.
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #12486
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-295 Fayetteville, North Carolina

$129.7 Million Contract Awarded for Fayetteville Outer Loop

The N.C. Department of Transportation this month awarded a $129.7 million contract for the 6.1-mile segment of the Outer Loop between I-95 in Robeson County, just south of the Green Springs Road overpass, and Camden Road in western Cumberland County.

The team will begin finalizing the design plans in January, with land acquisition and construction to follow. The construction is expected to be complete by July 2021.

The entire Fayetteville Outer Loop project is a 39-mile freeway being built in phases in Cumberland and Robeson counties. The Outer Loop has improved mobility and interstate access to Fort Bragg and Fayetteville, the state’s sixth-largest city. When complete, it will be known as Interstate 295.

The Outer Loop is open between I-95 north of Fayetteville at Exit 58 and the All American Freeway in Fayetteville.

Here is a look at the other segments:

* All American Freeway to Cliffdale Road: under construction and expected to open in October 2018.
* Cliffdale Road to Raeford Road (U.S. 401): under construction and expected to open in May 2021
* Raeford Road (U.S. 401) to Camden Road: under design, with contract scheduled to be awarded in fall 2018.

Construction of all sections of the loop are scheduled to be complete by 2022.
Full press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14661

I-295 around Fayetteville is really getting somewhere now. It wasn't too long ago that construction seemed a distant reality.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 10th, 2017, 01:00 AM   #12487
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-75 Ohio

Tampa 1103 miles!

DSC05333 by Eric Stuve, on Flickr

Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 10th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #12488
LtBk

Quote:

Speaking of speed limits I wonder if California and Oregon has plans to increase their limits to 75 mph(120 kmh) or even 80 mph(130 kmh) like the rest of Western USA.
Old December 10th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #12489
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Tampa 1103 miles!
That would be along I-75 South of the beautiful city of Toledo OH.
Quote:

Ironically, one of the running gags of AARoads, that of I-366 with an 85 mph speed limit, is placed in... Virginia!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 08:55 AM   #12490
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Speaking of speed limits I wonder if California and Oregon has plans to increase their limits to 75 mph(120 kmh) or even 80 mph(130 kmh) like the rest of Western USA.
Probably not in the northwest. These idiots here drive below the speed limit. More often then not camping in the left lane. It's very infuriating.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #12491
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
California 70 mph for cars and 55 for trucks seems outdated. In Texas cars and trucks can do 85 mph on the Texas 130 tollway south of Austin to Seguin. Must not be fun to be a trucker in California.
FM 2258 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:17 AM   #12492
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

And I thought the 105km/h (65mph) limiters in Ontario were harsh..
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 04:15 AM   #12493
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Interstate 5 near Pyramid Lake in California:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/CA/I/5/I...pr17_24x16.jpg

Luki_SL, wkiehl101 liked this post
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #12494
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's interesting to see eight lane rural freeways. This section of I-5 is clearly outside of the urbanized area of Los Angeles, with no suburbs or exurbs north of there. The nearest urbanized areas, Bakersfield and Castaic, are 60 miles apart.
Old December 13th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #12495
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-84 Waterbury, Connecticut

I-84 reconstruction in Waterbury, Connecticut.

Luki_SL, Vladivostok2012 liked this post
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #12496
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4958

Why was it so winding in the first place?
Old December 15th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #12497
TaterTot
Boyle Heights, L.A., CA

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
It's interesting to see eight lane rural freeways. This section of I-5 is clearly outside of the urbanized area of Los Angeles, with no suburbs or exurbs north of there. The nearest urbanized areas, Bakersfield and Castaic, are 60 miles apart.

They may be 60 miles apart but as the suburbs of Los Angeles grow closer to Castaic, it's a good thing the freeway is 8 lanes. Part of the reason is that the highway climbs up and down through the canyons and finally over the Tejon Pass, so having 4 lanes of travel in one direction allows cars to get around slower trucks. Also, on the other side of the pass in Lebec is where CA 99 meets I-5, and there's enough traffic from both highways to warrant an 8 lane freeway over the mountains. I-5 before the junction with 99 is only 2 lanes in each direction and let me tell you, the relief when you reach Lebec and the 8 lane highway is very welcome after several hundred miles of 2 lanes southbound.
TaterTot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #12498
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by siamu maharaj View Post
Why was it so winding in the first place?
It's borderline mountainous topography.
Old December 15th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #12499
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-140 Wilmington, North Carolina

Ribbon-Cutting Event Commemorates the Wilmington Bypass Nearing Completion

Friday morning marked a major milestone for the City of Wilmington and surrounding areas as local legislators and state transportation officials gathered to cut a ceremonial ribbon for the Interstate-140/Wilmington Bypass.

The project is in its final phase of construction, with the N.C. Department of Transportation hoping to open the last section of the highway by the end of the month. The nearly eight-mile stretch of highway connects to the section that is already open in Brunswick and New Hanover counties, capping off a $411-million project.

The bypass includes the construction of 19 new bridges, two of which are more than a mile long.
Full press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14690

This completes the 23 mile freeway around the entirety of Wilmington from US 17 to US 17.
Old December 16th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #12500
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-40 Memphis, Tennessee

Interesting to 7 lanes in one direction in a city the size of Memphis. It was built as part of the new I-40 / I-240 interchange on the east side of Memphis.

Luki_SL, Bender liked this post

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban