daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2017, 03:47 PM   #12501
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Interesting to 7 lanes in one direction in a city the size of Memphis. It was built as part of the new I-40 / I-240 interchange on the east side of Memphis.

Wide roads are shockingly normal in the US southeast.

wkiehl101 liked this post

Last edited by sonysnob; December 16th, 2017 at 03:56 PM.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2017, 10:43 PM   #12503
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Interstate 269 in Mississippi

Another great shot of Interstate 269 in Northern Mississippi.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #12504
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another New York peculiarity:

By AA Roads

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/MkxVQyVe6Z22

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

zaphod liked this post
Old December 18th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #12505
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A train crashed onto I-5 between Tacoma and Olympia, Washington.
An Amtrak train derailed and fell off a bridge over Interstate 5 near Mounts Road between Lakewood and Olympia.

“Injuries and causalities” have been reported, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s office. The extent of the injuries is not yet known.

Amtrak tweeted that it was train No. 501 in its inaugural run which left Seattle at 6 a.m that derailed.

According to WSDOT, the train was running down a new bypass created to avoid slow curves and “single track tunnels on the BNSF Railway main line tracks near Point Defiance and along southern Puget Sound.”

The project rerouted passenger trains to an inland route on an existing rail line that runs along the west side of I-5 through south Tacoma, Lakewood and DuPont and then reconnects back to the BNSF Railway main line near Nisqually on the east side of I-5.
More information: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-near-olympia/

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 18th, 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old December 20th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #12506
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Interstate 75 Atlanta:

Old December 21st, 2017, 02:20 AM   #12507
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Another New York peculiarity:

By AA Roads

Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/MkxVQyVe6Z22
Wow, I've driven the whole length of I-87 countless times and never remember one of those
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:42 AM   #12508
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I don't know if people mentioned this before or not, but the Commonwealth of Virginia is infamous for being strict and harsh on speeding. Doing over 20 mph/32 kmh or over 80 mph/130 kmh regardless of speed limit is considered reckless driving, which is a Class 1 misdemeanor in Virginia. A driver can be fined up to $2500, 6 months suspension of you license, and jailed up to one year maximum. Sources:
https://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-...-in-1613604053 and https://www.berniesez.com/what-happe...t-in-virginia/
It's really odd since 80 mph is not unheard of in VA. I remember driving I-95 from Richmond to DC and where the zone was 70, traffic was congested and tightly packed... but the two left lanes running 85 mph solid. I thought it was fine, prison cannot be so large for us all

The I-5 through Tejon Pass is interesting. When I drove it, there were lots of trucks and the right 2 lanes basically were truck lanes. Probably it carries many trucks since direct route to LA and Tijuana. But the cars on the left, were making good time. Uphill I followed traffic in the 75-80 range but downhil everyone was going 95-105 mph, despite the sign being 65 here (70 in the flat section from Bakersfield). I find California drivers move at a good pace. Highway Patrol was all over but didn't seem to cause me any trouble

geogregor liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:38 AM   #12509
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
The I-5 through Tejon Pass is interesting. When I drove it, there were lots of trucks and the right 2 lanes basically were truck lanes. Probably it carries many trucks since direct route to LA and Tijuana. But the cars on the left, were making good time. Uphill I followed traffic in the 75-80 range but downhil everyone was going 95-105 mph, despite the sign being 65 here (70 in the flat section from Bakersfield). I find California drivers move at a good pace. Highway Patrol was all over but didn't seem to cause me any trouble
Yes, I have exactly the same experience. Slow moving trucks and everyone flying along, way above the speed limit.

In general I like the pace of Californian drivers but they could use indicators a bit more often.

Once I had to slam on breaks as one lady decided to cut across 4 traffic lanes and exit the freeway just in front of me. It was close call...
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:15 PM   #12510
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-540, Raleigh, North Carolina

Complete 540 Final Environmental Impact Statement Signed

The N.C. Turnpike Authority, the N.C. Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration have signed the final environmental impact statement (FEIS) for the project known as Complete 540. This is a key step toward constructing the final section of the Triangle Expressway from the N.C. 55 Bypass in Apex to U.S. 64/U.S. 264 in Knightdale.

The public now has the opportunity to review and comment on the document. For comments to be included as part of the public record for the Final EIS comment period, they must be received by February 1, 2018.

In the coming months, NCTA and NCDOT will then hold a set of public meetings to gather additional input on the design plans. This information will be used in the development of a Record of Decision, which is the final document needed to begin construction.
Full press release: https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14711

Map:

This project will complete the outer beltway of Raleigh. The cost is estimated at $ 2.2 billion. It is planned in three separate stages, each to be funded individually. It is planned as a toll road.

The new beltway will serve the outer areas of the Raleigh metro area, located in Wake County. Wake County is one of the fastest-growing counties in the United States, having doubled in population over the past 20 years. It grew from 628,000 in 2000 to 1,047,000 in 2016.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, wkiehl101, Vladivostok2012 liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2017, 10:42 PM   #12511
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-95 Trenton, New Jersey

I-95 will be rerouted around Trenton, New Jersey. Since I-95 was built, there has been a gap in I-95 in Central Jersey.

I-95 will now be rerouted across I-276 and the New Jersey Turnpike around the south and east side of Trenton. Former I-95 will become an extension of I-295.

There will be an interesting exit numbering, as Pennsylvania I-295 will increase exit numbers going north, but New Jersey I-295 will increase the exit numbering based on the existing pattern, so south to Pennsylvania. They meet at the Scudders Falls Bridge.

Earlier plans called for a renumbering of I-295/I-95 to Interstate 195 around Trenton. The renumbering will be implemented in January. This completes an uninterrupted I-95 from Florida to Maine.

You won't be driving on I-95 near Trenton any more. Hello, I-295.

Luki_SL, wkiehl101, Penn's Woods liked this post
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:17 PM   #12512
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

At the Google Earth there is a picture of building a new interchange between existing overpass of I-95 (Delaware Expw) above I-276 (Pennsylvania Tpk), dated on Oct 27th, 2017. It seems that there will be only two ramps from East to South/South to East, for the future I-95.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:23 PM   #12513
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The first phase will only make the I-95 connection possible, but future phases will add more ramps.

There is a project site: https://www.patpconstruction.com/pat...5/default.aspx
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:32 PM   #12514
darko06

Likes (Received): 148

Thank you for the source, but the Pennsylvania Tpk is a toll road, where the Delaware Expw is not.
EDIT: they removed toll on this short part of Pennsylvania Tpk. Technically speaking, this now 6 mi (10 km) long part of Turnpike is a freeway.
darko06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #12515
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

There is no need to build the southern segment of 540 around Raleigh. There is minimal development along that corridor. All it will do is induce needless sprawl.
Old December 25th, 2017, 12:51 AM   #12516
hoosier

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Apart from converting left shoulders into carpool lanes, there hasn't been much freeway upgrades in the Los Angeles area since the last freeways opened during the 1970s. The population has grown by 7-9 milion people since. Think of adding the population of the Dallas-Fort Worth area to an already overburdened road system. It's no wonder you see traffic counts around 300,000 on just 10 lanes with congestion occurring 10-12 hours per day. It's clear that a single carpool lane - even if it costs $ 1 billion - wouldn't significantly alleviate congestion. However Los Angeles has spent billions on rail that has not alleviated congestion either. Reportedly the transit share is even lower today than it was before the rail transit system was built, due to massive cuts to bus services.
This isn’t low density Texas. The freeway corridors in LA are highly developed and would require extensive ROW acquisition and eminent domain use. There is no need for a freeway to be wider than 10 lanes. They are urban fabric and property value destroying ribbons of concrete and pollution. Find other ways to move people around.
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #12517
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-278 Goethals Bridge

Progress on the new Goethals Bridge between New Jersey and Staten Island.

Luki_SL, Highway89, sonysnob liked this post
Old December 27th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #12518
wgerman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
This isn’t low density Texas. The freeway corridors in LA are highly developed and would require extensive ROW acquisition and eminent domain use. There is no need for a freeway to be wider than 10 lanes. They are urban fabric and property value destroying ribbons of concrete and pollution. Find other ways to move people around.

Reread his quote, LA has spent billions on mass transit, a pretty efficient one. Yet it does not fit the needs of motorists.

You remind of the new "urbanists" who want everyone to move downtown but think nothing of the infrastructure that gets them there. I present Austin, Texas as a sterling example of this new found thinking with four to five hour evening traffic jams and now liberal tech companies telling the city council to do something or else about the traffic.

I-275westcoastfl liked this post
wgerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #12519
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 431

the point of wanting people to move downtown is precisely that you don't need the infrastructure to move them there anymore then...

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 04:36 AM   #12520
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post
[/B]

Reread his quote, LA has spent billions on mass transit, a pretty efficient one. Yet it does not fit the needs of motorists.

You remind of the new "urbanists" who want everyone to move downtown but think nothing of the infrastructure that gets them there. I present Austin, Texas as a sterling example of this new found thinking with four to five hour evening traffic jams and now liberal tech companies telling the city council to do something or else about the traffic.
Exactly, not to mention since everyone wants to live downtown nobody on a working class salary can afford to live near it. Everyone gets forced further out and gets to spend their lives in traffic.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban