daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 5th, 2018, 10:54 PM   #12541
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Houston

I-610 between I-10 and US 290 in Houston. 24 active lanes. More underway.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:27 PM   #12542
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I-25 Northern Colorado

CDOT signs contract to build North I-25 Express Lanes: Johnstown to Fort Collins

The Colorado Department of Transportation is officially on the road to adding an Express Lane in each direction on I-25 from Johnstown to Fort Collins starting later this year.

A $248 million contract with Kraemer/IHC has been approved for the project which will increase capacity by adding an Express Lane in both directions of I-25, replace aging bridges and widen others, create new pedestrian and bicycle access under I-25 at Kendall Parkway, and connect the Cache la Poudre River Regional Trail under I-25.

This project will begin construction in 2018 and complete in late 2021. During construction, motorists can expect two lanes of travel in each direction to remain open during the daytime, with lane closures occurring at night when traffic volumes are lower.
Full press release: https://www.codot.gov/news/2018/janu...o-fort-collins

I'm not sure if an express lane is the right tool for a simple semi-rural six-laning without substantial cost or space restraints.

This project has a low cost per mile, it's a simple six laning, replacing some bridges and paving over the median. The corridor is only slightly developed. It's not yet an urban freeway.

Typically tolled express lanes are used for projects that have a very high cost and congestion level that cannot be managed easily by a low-cost expansion.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 7th, 2018, 03:39 AM   #12543
browntown

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
CDOT signs contract to build North I-25 Express Lanes: Johnstown to Fort Collins

The Colorado Department of Transportation is officially on the road to adding an Express Lane in each direction on I-25 from Johnstown to Fort Collins starting later this year.

A $248 million contract with Kraemer/IHC has been approved for the project which will increase capacity by adding an Express Lane in both directions of I-25, replace aging bridges and widen others, create new pedestrian and bicycle access under I-25 at Kendall Parkway, and connect the Cache la Poudre River Regional Trail under I-25.

This project will begin construction in 2018 and complete in late 2021. During construction, motorists can expect two lanes of travel in each direction to remain open during the daytime, with lane closures occurring at night when traffic volumes are lower.
Full press release: https://www.codot.gov/news/2018/janu...o-fort-collins

I'm not sure if an express lane is the right tool for a simple semi-rural six-laning without substantial cost or space restraints.

This project has a low cost per mile, it's a simple six laning, replacing some bridges and paving over the median. The corridor is only slightly developed. It's not yet an urban freeway.

Typically tolled express lanes are used for projects that have a very high cost and congestion level that cannot be managed easily by a low-cost expansion.
What choice do they have? The gas tax isn't high enough to fund all the projects needed and proposing to raise the gas tax is political suicide.
browntown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 08:04 AM   #12544
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4268

I-10, Santa Monica

Luki_SL, FM 2258, wkiehl101 liked this post
xzmattzx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 09:22 AM   #12545
Buffaboy
Buffalo's Idealist💡

Likes (Received): 2122

Texas can't get enough lanes on their freeways, I don't understand what the projections and need for all of them are.
Buffaboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 01:22 PM   #12546
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntown View Post
What choice do they have? The gas tax isn't high enough to fund all the projects needed and proposing to raise the gas tax is political suicide.
That's a political bottleneck. Besides, 'raising the gas tax is political suicide' is an exaggerated argument. Many states have raised the gas tax in recent years.

I think this project is not a privatized toll scheme, likely because they wouldn't be able to find any private partner to finance it. Private funding means that the express lanes need to pay investment and interest back, so they can't afford a very long 'ramp-up' period where traffic on the express lanes begins at a low level and slowly builds up over the years.

You can see that most of the profitable toll projects have a high initial usage, meaning severe congestion must've been a long-term deal to persuade people to use the tolled lanes in sufficient numbers to make them profitable. One hour of slowdowns per day won't bring in sufficient numbers of users to make it a profitable project.

Privatized toll projects with a low initial usage likely go bust. They built express lanes on Loop 375 in El Paso, but ended toll collection after a year due to very low usage and toll collection costing more than it brings in. Other examples are SH 130 south of Austin, the Pocahontas Parkway near Richmond or the South Bay Expressway near San Diego.
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:49 PM   #12547
wgerman

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
I-10, Santa Monica

Is it really known as the Chirstopher Columbus highway? Is that from coast to coast or just LA?
wgerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 10:19 PM   #12548
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgerman View Post
Is it really known as the Chirstopher Columbus highway? Is that from coast to coast or just LA?
Not sure, I just happened to see it when I was leaving Downtown Santa Monica and was quick enough to get a picture.
Old January 10th, 2018, 02:02 AM   #12549
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Not sure, I just happened to see it when I was leaving Downtown Santa Monica and was quick enough to get a picture.
I drove I-10 to Santa Monica and didn't see it, maybe just on the eastbound way
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:03 PM   #12550
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I drove I-10 to Santa Monica and didn't see it, maybe just on the eastbound way
This is eastbound, right after CA 1 goes through a tunnel and becomes I-10.

Kanadzie liked this post
Old January 15th, 2018, 05:00 PM   #12551
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I found these houses near the I-57 / I-294 interchange. Originally, I-57 and I-294 only crossed, but had no ramps for traffic to exchange between the highways.

Between 2012 and 2014, ramps were built for two movements. They demolished some houses for the new northbound connector from I-55 to I-294. However these houses were built only a few years prior, around 2005. So these people moved into a house around 2005/2006 only to see their house demolished 6-7 years later.

Old January 15th, 2018, 09:51 PM   #12552
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-275westcoastfl View Post
Exactly, not to mention since everyone wants to live downtown nobody on a working class salary can afford to live near it. Everyone gets forced further out and gets to spend their lives in traffic.
Just have to construct more housing and incentivize developers to build as tall and as densely as possible. I’d prefer cities with 60 story apartment buildings and six lane freeways over low density development and fourteen lane freeways.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:05 PM   #12553
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I’d prefer cities with 60 story apartment buildings
Ah Commie towers. Unless we're talking high-wealth condos, high rise housing becomes terrible due to the Tragedy of the Commons affecting the common areas (eg lifts being broken, mess, fire safety equipment, etc). They also tend to destroy notions of neighbourhood (eg where in the UK in the 60s, social housing went high rise and whole blocks were moved into (slightly bigger than they had before) apartments in big concrete monstrosities rather than densely packed tiny row-houses, the community was lost even though it was then under one roof).

They also aren't overly dense - 6 storey apartment buildings can give the density much more pleasantly.

Of course sprawl sucks, but you've made it a dichotomy between two different terrible options.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 02:18 AM   #12554
Kanadzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Just have to construct more housing and incentivize developers to build as tall and as densely as possible. I’d prefer cities with 60 story apartment buildings and six lane freeways over low density development and fourteen lane freeways.
Wouldn't you need even more gigantic freeways if you had gigantic towers? You'd have like 200 000 cars trying to get out of one block and back every day.
Old January 16th, 2018, 02:38 AM   #12555
Abhishek901

Likes (Received): 1203

With higher density, public transit becomes more feasible. Also, the driving distances reduce because of less sprawl, so cars spend much less time on roads leading to lesser traffic.
Abhishek901 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 02:46 AM   #12556
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Wouldn't you need even more gigantic freeways if you had gigantic towers? You'd have like 200 000 cars trying to get out of one block and back every day.
Because Hong Kong is full of massive 20-30 lane freeways. Manhatten too....massively wide freeways there. And etc....
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 02:57 AM   #12557
Kanadzie

they are full of massive congestion...
Old January 16th, 2018, 04:11 AM   #12558
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

and massively low auto modal shares, meaning most people have no idea what traffic means in those cities.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #12559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek901 View Post
With higher density, public transit becomes more feasible. Also, the driving distances reduce because of less sprawl, so cars spend much less time on roads leading to lesser traffic.
That is only achieved after it hits a certain density tipping point, which most cities do not reach and most existing urban areas will likely never reach.

While public transport becomes more feasible with higher densities, higher density and lower car usage is not a 1:1 relation, the per capita driving is not reduced at the same rate as the increase in population per square mile.

Increasing density will increase the number of car trips per square mile until it hits a tipping point. So the road network becomes more congested with higher density, not less.

You can see with Travel Time Index rankings that dense urban areas tend to rank higher on TTI (means worse congestion) than low density urban areas. The least congested urban areas in the U.S. are all low-density, car-dependent regions.
Old January 16th, 2018, 12:50 PM   #12560
sven_engelen

Likes (Received): 6

The difference between the USA and Western Europe is that the USA now starts investing in public transport while Western Europe already does that since the 80's so less lanes are needed in their highways ++ there is less congestion.
sven_engelen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban