daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #1301
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

^ I think it does.

I-73 is also another road that looks iffy that it will get completed. A lot of states to the north (especially Ohio) are moving slowly to actually plan their sections. That, or North Carolina is moving too fast, if that makes sense. But at least it makes more sense than I-74.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #1302
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenRot View Post
^ I think it does.

I-73 is also another road that looks iffy that it will get completed. A lot of states to the north (especially Ohio) are moving slowly to actually plan their sections. That, or North Carolina is moving too fast, if that makes sense. But at least it makes more sense than I-74.
Here's the thing I don't get.

Why can't US 35 in Ohio(which is all freeway from I-75 to WV) not be designated as I-73? Then just duel I-73 and I-75 to Toledo and then run 127 as I-73 on up into Michigan and onto upgraded old US 27?
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:28 AM   #1303
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Here's the thing I don't get.

Why can't US 35 in Ohio(which is all freeway from I-75 to WV) not be designated as I-73? Then just duel I-73 and I-75 to Toledo and then run 127 as I-73 on up into Michigan and onto upgraded old US 27?
That would serve no purpose, other than to say, "hey look, this road is two expressways instead of one!"

When I-73 was being considered in Ohio in the early 1990's, it would have been an expressway link between Toledo and Columbus (a very painful, congested corridor which I travel far too often ), continuing to the Southeast. It would have replaced U.S. 23. But due to budget constraints and NIMBY's it was never built and the state has cancelled all plans.

Today, segments of U.S. 23 are so urbanized (especially in Delaware County which exploded in population) it's going to be 10 times as difficult and expensive to build out this route.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #1304
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
That would serve no purpose, other than to say, "hey look, this road is two expressways instead of one!"

When I-73 was being considered in Ohio in the early 1990's, it would have been an expressway link between Toledo and Columbus (a very painful, congested corridor which I travel far too often ), continuing to the Southeast. It would have replaced U.S. 23. But due to budget constraints and NIMBY's it was never built and the state has cancelled all plans.

Today, segments of U.S. 23 are so urbanized (especially in Delaware County which exploded in population) it's going to be 10 times as difficult and expensive to build out this route.
Which is why I-73 needs to go the way of I-80/90 from Chicago to Cleveland, only on I-75 and from Toledo to Dayton. Then go on US 35 and take that all the way to WV.

No it doesn't solve US 23's issues but it's the next best thing toward a complete I-73 from Michigan to South Carolina. (and it avoids Columbus with additional truck traffic).

Another option if you don't want I-73/75 from Toledo to Dayton is I-73/75 from Toledo to Wapakoneta, then freeway US 33 from Bellefontaine westward till Wapakoneta.

From there, take 270 from 33 at Dublin on down to 23 South as I-73 and then US 23 south freeway'd(since South of Columbus is not built up at all).
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:11 AM   #1305
Paddington

I don't see the point in I-73 going through Ohio unless it involves new expressway construction. Ohio isn't some redneck state desperate for a new expressway at all costs that it would take one added on in name only to one of the already existing ones.
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #1306
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I don't see the point in I-73 going through Ohio unless it involves new expressway construction. Ohio isn't some redneck state desperate for a new expressway at all costs that it would take one added on in name only to one of the already existing ones.
Cough*I-80/90*cough Cough*I-39/90/94*cough

Besides, US 35 is a relatively new freeway anyway.
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #1307
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Radi mode
The pavement is really crappy! I'm surprised, this is THE road on the West Coast, something like this would be inconceivable in the EU.
End Radi mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
FM 2258, the interstate on your pics looks really bad, such a motorway wouldn´t be allowed anywhere in europe, the concrete must be really awful to drive on, I am happy we have very smooth asphalt here on the nationalroads, what bothers me msot is that on one of your pics there are aktually potholes on the asphalt which is very bad for a motorway.
I would think with a 41,000+ mile freeway system, there are bound to be a couple potholes somewhere in the system.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #1308
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I would think with a 41,000+ mile freeway system, there are bound to be a couple potholes somewhere in the system.
[radi] yes but the united states is supposed to be rich yet still has such shitty motorways. the struma and the trakiya are much smoother and shinier than these pictures and that's without the money that the EU is supposed to give us, those idoits. look at this: (some picture of substandard freeway from a bulgarian bus) and tell me that it wouldnt be the best in the US if built there[/radi]
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #1309
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Old December 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #1310
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

ADCS, nah, it's too intelligent. No one would believe it's Radi.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #1311
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Sorry, couldn't bring myself to misspell more than one word
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #1312
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

New section of interstate opens this week, likely Wednesday or Thursday, 2007-12-12 or 13

After several years of delay due to unforeseen acid rock (iron pyrite) formations that were found during construction, I-99 between Bald Eagle Village and State College, PA will open sometime this week, date/time dependent on weather.

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/283119.html

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #1313
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

I-99 is a weird number there... I-95 and I-97 are more to the east, doesn't fit quite within the system...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #1314
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I-99 is a weird number there... I-95 and I-97 are more to the east, doesn't fit quite within the system...
Yea, that number was written into federal law by a local USHouse representative when he inserted the project into a Federal highway funding bill back in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Also, some more info on this project:

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/286478.html

Mike
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #1315
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

New section of interstate to open Tuesday, 2007-12-18

A 5 km section of (future) I-73/840 on the west side of Greensboro, NC opens on Tuesday, 2007-12-18.

http://www.digtriad.com/news/local_s...94695&catid=57

Also check out the KEWL video of a drive on this new section of interstate in the above link.

Mike
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1316
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Wow, NC motorways have European-like entrance and exit lane marking
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #1317
Paddington

New video from the same guy, with Christmas cheer:

Old December 19th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #1318
AUchamps

Canada/USA: If I had $40 Billion to put toward new freeways...

-I'd want to see I-69 fully completed from Indy to Brownsville
-I-49 from Kansas City to Shreveport
-I-73 in its entirety(even if that means saving costs in Ohio by making US 35 into I-73 and dueling up I-75/73 from Toledo to Dayton, much in the way I-39/90/94 is in Wisconsin)
-I-74 from Cincinnati eastward to West Virginia and then southward to SC

and in Canada...

-Highway 400 in Ontario all the way north to Sudbury.
-Highway 417 all the way west from Ottawa to the Manitoba border.
-A-73 all the way south to Maine
-A-30 in its entirety
-A-85 in its entirety
-A-5 from Gatineau east to A-15(and complete that too).

That's just me.

You guys?
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #1319
andypandy
Meh...

Likes (Received): 53

Freeways are a thing of the past. Invest your $40 bill in some public transport/rail... real infrastrcuture.
andypandy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1320
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypandy View Post
Freeways are a thing of the past. Invest your $40 bill in some public transport/rail... real infrastrcuture.
Trucks will always be the lifeline of trade.

Public Transport doesn't do jack for Trucks. Rail is doing all it can with freight. This has a lot more to do with Trucks then anything else. We will always need freeways for semis. Distribution Centers locate by freeways. Look at China and their extensive buildout of freeways(which incidentally in Eastern China, are never "free" and several roads are actually listed on the Hong Kong Exchange to be bought and sold as a commodity or bond). It's all about the Trucks.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban