daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #1341
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

They took old tires and recycled it in with asphalt to make it super smooth and quiet to drive.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #1342
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

They put the asphalt on that overpass? Either it's really lightweight asphalt or that's one strong bridge.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #1343
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

I don't understand why there is all this talk about building more freeways because of semis. Freight is more efficient on rail. Semis are gas guzzling behemoths that tear up the road. We should keep freight on rail as much as is possible. Any $40 billion that the US gets should be spent on upgrading rail. The current budget for freeways is sufficient.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #1344
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
I don't understand why there is all this talk about building more freeways because of semis. Freight is more efficient on rail. Semis are gas guzzling behemoths that tear up the road. We should keep freight on rail as much as is possible. Any $40 billion that the US gets should be spent on upgrading rail. The current budget for freeways is sufficient.
Rails alone are impractical for the "Just in Time" Logistical world we live in today.

Intermodal Centers serve to move cargo between Sea Port, Airport, Rail, and/or Semi.

We need all 4 in order to be optimal in logistics.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:05 AM   #1345
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Oh no, I'm not saying rail exclusively, but we don't need any major upgrades to our freeway system until our rail system is upgraded.

Old December 20th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #1346
seicer
Historian, photographer

Likes (Received): 62

Kentucky Transportation News (US)

Thought it would be nice to have a dedicated thread regarding Kentucky's (highway) transportation infrastructure. I've posted news clippings for years at several newsgroups and Yahoo! groups as well.

--

Personal notes:
The eastern bypass is a four-lane divided highway with access points at major intersections and approximately every 2,000 feet to serve farms and local businesses -- although this has been abused in other cities to serve the whims of sprawling development that reduces the LOS and functionality of the bypass.

The southern end of the bypass ends at a T-intersection with existing four-lane US 127 and the ramp from US 127 northbound to US 127 Bypass northbound is a sharp 25 MPH ramp -- essentially a right-turn. At the very least, this needs to be corrected with a banked high-speed ramp. Existing intersections with major roads should also be considered for potential interchanges as well.

100 turn out to hear about Harrodsburg bypass
By Ann R. Harney, Advocate-Messenger, November 20, 2007

HARRODSBURG - More than 100 Mercer Countians took the opportunity Monday to learn and comment about a possible bypass around the northwest side of Harrodsburg.

Possible may be the operative word. One of the questions people were asked on a comment form was whether a bypass is needed.

A slide show presentation ran constantly through the session from 4-7 p.m. at Lions Community Center.

Large maps were available for study. Smaller versions of the same map were given to people when they signed in, and they could be marked by people who wanted to show where they thought the roadway should go.

The proposal is to put the road from the Industrial Spur of the current bypass around to Mackville Road, but no actual route has been drawn or even considered. A map showing a corridor of 1,000 to 2,000 feet wide has been circulated.

On hand at the meeting were representatives of the District 7 office, including Stuart Goodpaster, branch manager for planning, who said he was surprised at the large number of people who attended.

Mercer County Judge-Executive John Trisler said he was not surprised at the turnout, but he was pleased.

Also on hand were representatives of Bluegrass Area Development District and QK4, an engineering firm from Louisville that the state has hired as consulting engineers on the project.

A bypass is being considered because of traffic congestion on the northwest side of the city. The Mercer County School District is the source of some of the congestion, and some thought has been given to making Moberly Road four lanes from the Industrial Spur to a trailer park on the road. Moberly Road is a key north-south corridor for reaching the various Mercer County schools.

Mercer Superintendent Bruce Johnson said that would be his preference and the school board would donate the land. It owns most of the land on both sides of the road.

A new Mercer County Senior High School is being built, and the added traffic from that building is likely to be on Moberly Road.

State needs your input

Whatever the opinions of the public, the state highway department will depend heavily on them. In addition to filling out forms, the public may call the District 7 office in Lexington and send letters within 15 days of Monday's meeting.

Letters can be sent to P.O. Box 11127, Lexington, Ky., 40512, attention Jim Rummage. There also was a court reporter at the gathering to take down verbal comments.

"People think we've picked a route," said David Thacker of District 7's public information office. "We haven't."

Engineers will look at each of the comments to get a feeling of what the people want and develop alternate routes on a map.

State officials will return to Harrodsburg in six months to a year, Thacker said, to make a final determination of what the people want. Then, if a bypass is wanted, officials will approach the General Assembly for money, probably during the 2010 or 2012 sessions.

State Rep. Milward Dedman, D-Harrodsburg, said the meeting was part of the very earliest of steps toward a possible road.

Mercer County Magistrate Ronnie Sims is most concerned about the safety of a possible roadway. The south entrance and one intersection on the current bypass have been the site of several serious traffic accidents. Several tractor-trailer trucks have overturned on the south entrance, and federal funds have been allocated for remediation of those sites. However the work has not been done.

"I don't want the problems we have with the east bypass," Sims said. "It was not properly designed, and it's a mess."
seicer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #1347
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

you still we need trucks to ship the stuff from train terminals to places...

Also there are not only a few dozen places where trucks deliver, there are tens of thousands in any big city. To serve each place by rail is impractical.

Anyways i say making the 401 6-8 lanes thrugh ontario.

Extend the collector-express system to Mississauga and Oshawa.
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Rail freight is only efficient in very large numbers, like 500 tonnes of grain or dangerous goods.

Most cargo transports aren't that big. Also containers needs to be shipped, not only from A to B, but from A to B - Z. You can't do that efficient with rail. Most of those trains are probably not running on electricity, so it's also not so much better for the environment.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1349
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

fm2258- Did you go to Compton?

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; December 20th, 2007 at 07:10 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #1350
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah i remember him asking that in a Los Angeles subforum.
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #1351
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
fm2258- Did you go to Compton?
I did, let me update pictures in the subforum. I'll put a link to that here when I'm done.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #1352
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Oh yeah? Since when is public transportation more efficient than cars?
When it is as available as the car. Look at London, New York, Paris, Tokyo- hell, any major city, and public transportation is far more efficient.

And public transportation doesn't POLLUTE or contribute to global warming.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #1353
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

I would invest very little in new road construction. The US Interstate system is quite extensive.

As for trucks, in certain high volume areas dedicated truck lanes could be built.

Most of the money should go to road upgrades and repairs.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #1354
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
When it is as available as the car. Look at London, New York, Paris, Tokyo- hell, any major city, and public transportation is far more efficient.
Yeah, but that's not affordable for any mid-size to large city, only for really large cities like the ones you mentioned. And even those cities like New York and Paris still have huge amounts of cars on their roads. It is an utopia to think public transportation can even meet the majority of transport demands, especially in the non-multi-million-cities.

Quote:
And public transportation doesn't POLLUTE or contribute to global warming.
Since when do trains and buses run on wind? The most polluted streets in the Netherlands are the ones near busterminals. So public transportation may be more environment-friendly than the average american car, they are by far not climate-neutral.

I do agree on your second post though.
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #1355
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Won't help with truck traffic. It's not efficient for trucks to travel though tunnels for long distances(say, 2-3 miles or longer). Why else do you think truck traffic is so heavily restricted through tunnels worldwide?
I wouldn't be necessarily real tunnels, i was thinking about half sunken freeways in the ground. The noise is really reduced that way, without having to pollute the horizon with sound barriers. Near really nice locations, you can build a real tunnel, like they did on motorways in Barcelona for instance.
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:47 AM   #1356
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Won't help with truck traffic. It's not efficient for trucks to travel though tunnels for long distances(say, 2-3 miles or longer). Why else do you think truck traffic is so heavily restricted through tunnels worldwide?
Most tunnels that I know of allow big-rigs, but prohibit haz-mats. Haz-mat accidents are not pleasant in tunnels.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:49 AM   #1357
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Again, I'm not saying RAIL ONLY, we just need to upgrade it because in many locations it is not a viable alternative to freeways. For example, the path to Las Vegas from Los Angeles is extremely congested and nothing more can be put on there, so trucks have to go on the 15, making traffic on that freeway even worse than it already is.

Old December 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM   #1358
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In my opinion, long distance rail is rather an alternative to flying than to car-trips.

Quote:
Most tunnels that I know of allow big-rigs, but prohibit haz-mats. Haz-mat accidents are not pleasant in tunnels.

Mike
Hmm i remember the movie Daylight (with Silvester Stallone).
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM   #1359
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Las Vegas is not too far a distance from Los Angeles, so many people just drive there. The traffic along the freeway is terrible. My argument is that a lot of that is caused by trucks because the freight route is saturated. We need to upgrade that and put a passenger rail line between Las Vegas and Los Angeles.

Old December 21st, 2007, 06:26 PM   #1360
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Las Vegas is not too far a distance from Los Angeles, so many people just drive there. The traffic along the freeway is terrible.
Really? CA DOT gives only 35.000 - 40.000 AADT for the section Barstow - Nevada (this is what i think you can call through traffic between LA and LV)

40.000 is nothing, even on 2x2 lanes.

It might be a lot more busy ofcourse on holidays, but when you only travel a certain road on holidays, it doesn't give a good view of what the traffic is on average.

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban