daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:18 AM   #121
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Hmm.. well here's the SR-73 which runs through South Western Orange County:

..and this is the SR-241, which runs through the eastern Orange County, through the Santa Ana mountains ... these pictures are pretty crappy..

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:37 AM   #122
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 4

The green ones are the toll roads, red ones are freeways and the yellow ones are highways (large/important streets)

Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:43 AM   #123
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

thx a lot guys
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #124
XCRunner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbil
How about Illinois?
The highways in the Chicago area definetly can't handle the volume of traffic and are ALWAYS under construction, but this can probably be said of any big city. I haven't driven much outside of the area, so I wouldn't know what the roads in most other states are like.
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #125
Zaqattaq

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen
Pennsylvania?
No
Zaqattaq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #126
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Michigan
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM   #127
gohorns

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
The worst State in the country with respect to freeways, roads and highways is Pennsylvania-it is not even close. travelling on Pennsylvania roads is like travelling back thru time. all freeways, bridges and roads need to be widened, resurfaced, repaired and or replaced.

I 76 thru philly-4 lanes, should be at least 8. ditto for pretty much every freeway in the Philadelphia metro area. i cant tell you how many back roads and small streets still have one-lane bridges. PENNDOT pay attention-improve the roads.

enough said !!

I completely agree. PA has some of the worst highways. Travelling back in time? Hey i live in central PA and I can attest to the whole travelling back in time thing. And all the people screaming out texas (some of whom have probably never even been to the state or used its highways) are simply wrong. Texas has pretty good highways (houston is crazy and easy to get lost in and traffic sucks but you can't blame the highways for the city being so big and sprawling). And I'm sure california isn't so bad either...i've never been there so I can't really say.

cheers
gohorns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #128
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20281

How are the roads in Alaska?
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #129
TheOldMan
RIP all NIMBYS

The best freeways and highways in this country are in MD, VA and CA. although traffic is bad in CA, they have the best highway/freeway system in my opinion. They are designed well, maintained well and are very rarely in disrepair. Texas roads are also not bad. MD and VA have by far the best freeways on the East Coast. Again, all major freeways are nice and wide, with 8+ lanes in metro areas and the two states are not afraid to take initative to widen roads when it is necessary (Capital Beltway 95/495 may soon be widened to 10-12 lanes in some locations).

I live just outside of Phila, PA, and i hate travelling on the freeways here. so anybody that says CA and Texas are bad, come to Pennsylvania and get to know what "bad roads" really means. just have your car's suspension checked out prior to making the trip. Its like traveling off road!! Those states are like thousands of years ahead of PA with respect to highways.
Get off the air you nitwit !!!
TheOldMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #130
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
alaska?
Yeah, I vote for Alaska!
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #131
Nainawaaz
Believer

Likes (Received): 6

I have to go with W. virginia.
Nainawaaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:07 AM   #132
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

I-80 in Illinois. It's not just the conjestion. The pavement should have been replaced a decade ago.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #133
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Neither Texas or California should be at the top of the list.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #134
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

I vote....I don't know. :-P As long it's usable, and smooth...I'll be fine. I remember going on I-80 from near bay area going on way to Vallejo, that huge "hump" sure scared me and it felt like I'm flying off the freeway! I think they got it fixed recently, not sure.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #135
e2ksj3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
The best freeways and highways in this country are in MD, VA and CA. although traffic is bad in CA, they have the best highway/freeway system in my opinion. They are designed well, maintained well and are very rarely in disrepair. Texas roads are also not bad. MD and VA have by far the best freeways on the East Coast. Again, all major freeways are nice and wide, with 8+ lanes in metro areas and the two states are not afraid to take initative to widen roads when it is necessary (Capital Beltway 95/495 may soon be widened to 10-12 lanes in some locations).

I live just outside of Phila, PA, and i hate travelling on the freeways here. so anybody that says CA and Texas are bad, come to Pennsylvania and get to know what "bad roads" really means. just have your car's suspension checked out prior to making the trip. Its like traveling off road!! Those states are like thousands of years ahead of PA with respect to highways.
Maryland maybe, but Virginia uhhh, I don't know about that one, lol. In Northern Virginia, they've always done a good job of keeping the roads maintained, but in Norfolk and the Hampton Roads area, I-64 is in terrible shape.

My last visit on I-95/395 in Northern Va, I felt like I was hitting speed bumps every minute or so. And for the life of me, I don't know why VDOT hasn't at least widen I-95 to 8 lanes (not including the HOV) at least from Stafford County to the Beltway, since the road serves both commuters and out of town travelers. It can literally take 2 1/2 hours to drive from Woodbridge to Stafford (15 mile drive) on both 95 and Route 1 during holidays.

Last edited by e2ksj3; December 4th, 2005 at 07:20 AM.
e2ksj3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #136
asfar001
PAKISTAN FIRST

Likes (Received): 35

californias highways really suk
asfar001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #137
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

Can someone tell me what they're doing with that humongous construction crater near I-80 just south of Chicago? I was driving through this past summer and couldn't believe how big it was and couldn't figure out what it was for. It looked like those mining pits you see on TV.

Bad roads/highways: northern NJ especially Jersey City.
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 09:52 AM   #138
RAS85
BANNED

Michigan
RAS85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #139
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

^ I agree. Though Michigans highway network is pretty extensive, some of there interstates really are bone rattlers. Fortunately they seem fairly eager to to improve there networks condition.
sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #140
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

When I get onto any freeway in LA here, and there is no traffic, then I think about how nicely built our system here is. Its when there is traffic that is really gets awful. The roads here are OK, some areas are new, and others have been revamped. There are still plenty of places that need repair though. Especially the streets and boulevards here.. If the system here had wider lanes, and more of them, it would be a lot more manageable.

Roads here tend to deteriorate real quickly, but we have the most registered cars in the Country, and thats not including the non-registered cars (which there are a lot of!)
plus all the tourists, and foreigners.. Cali had a policy for a while to give licenses to you even if you didnt have citizenship, ahem...

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban