daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2007, 11:45 PM   #1401
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Yeah, but this thread was meant to be celebrating the U.S. interstates. There's already multiple threads (here and one started by Konigsberg here) with people complaining about the odd pothole or cracked road on American interstates that they've gone out of their way to photograph, and how roads in Germany/Korea/Burkina Faso are allegedly better.

You don't see me going on the Texas forum and posting random pictures of fat Southern rednecks in their cowboy hats and boots just to crap on other people's threads.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #1402
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

Great photos and thanks for sharing.

Frankly, while it is a stretch of interstate that appears to need a great deal of maintenance work, a lot of it looks to be in fair condition. However, the scenery leaves much to be desired, and combined with dreary weather, it's just a very ugly stretch of interstate.
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #1403
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Actually those pictures are too big even for DSL users.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #1404
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

The point seems lost here that a bumpy road still serves its purpose.
Old December 25th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #1405
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Actually those pictures are too big even for DSL users.
Yes, my 20 mbit connection even takes some time to download them all. Half the size would be better, i usually compress them even to 95%, since that doesn't lower the quality, but it lowers the number of kilobytes significantly.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #1406
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

it's not that great down there, but i will excuse that region. I've been there, although over a year ago, to do some post-Katrina relief work. I was more in mississippi state which actually does a pretty good job on it's highways, but it does the job. No, it's not perfectly smooth..or errr..Struma like, but it works.

And I think it'll be replaced in the future.

But there aren't any roads like that here in Ontario. The closest I can get to bump bump roads are I-69 just past Port Huron. haha.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #1407
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
it's not that great down there, but i will excuse that region. I've been there, although over a year ago, to do some post-Katrina relief work. I was more in mississippi state which actually does a pretty good job on it's highways, but it does the job. No, it's not perfectly smooth..or errr..Struma like, but it works.

And I think it'll be replaced in the future.

But there aren't any roads like that here in Ontario. The closest I can get to bump bump roads are I-69 just past Port Huron. haha.
Don't you mean Highway 402? Once you get past the Land of Sarnia, 402 gets better.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #1408
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Don't you mean Highway 402? Once you get past the Land of Sarnia, 402 gets better.
the 402, although isn't perfect..is by far and away much much better than what you have in Michigan. And it'll all be replaced within the next year, so the entire highway will be smooth sailing.

Ontario highways are pretty darn good compared to the states. Michigan sticks out.
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #1409
AUchamps

Quote:
the 402, although isn't perfect..is by far and away much much better than what you have in Michigan. And it'll all be replaced within the next year, so the entire highway will be smooth sailing.

Ontario highways are pretty darn good compared to the states. Michigan sticks out.
Agreed, but when you said east of Port Huron, that's Sarnia, Ontario and Highway 402. I-69 is west of Port Huron(and have heard it's rough between Flint ant the Port despite being the same age as the 402).
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #1410
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
Agreed, but when you said east of Port Huron, that's Sarnia, Ontario and Highway 402. I-69 is west of Port Huron(and have heard it's rough between Flint ant the Port despite being the same age as the 402).
i never said east.

I know it's west. I said past port huron, you probably just read quickly (like I do) and misinterpreted).

that road is BRUTAL in spots. (I-69 between Flint & the border)
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #1411
AUchamps

Quote:
i never said east.

I know it's west. I said past port huron, you probably just read quickly (like I do) and misinterpreted).

that road is BRUTAL in spots. (I-69 between Flint & the border)
So what can we throughout the rest of the world to to be Strumatized?
Old December 25th, 2007, 03:36 AM   #1412
hoosier

Likes (Received): 60

Most of the people on this planet live in large urban areas of over 1 million people, so having rail transit in them would drastically reduce highway congestion and air pollution. Subways and trams do not burn fossil fuels, and busses emit far less CO2 per capita than individual cars.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #1413
AUchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Most of the people on this planet live in large urban areas of over 1 million people, so having rail transit in them would drastically reduce highway congestion and air pollution. Subways and trams do not burn fossil fuels, and busses emit far less CO2 per capita than individual cars.
Again, that would simply be nullified by the growth of Semis on the road. Yes, Semis now use LOW SULFUR Diesel but an 18-wheeler is an 18-wheeler.

Highway congestion is only gonna get worse as more Trucks get on the road and that's why more roads and freeways are needed. Oh yeah, and even bigger Distribution Centers.
Old December 25th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #1414
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Before starting the war in some other Middle Eastern country, try to repair your interstates Or you can do the above two things simultaneously if you raise the taxes, but Americans wouldn't like this idea for sure.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #1415
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Interestingly, that 'Exit 880' on I-10 in Texas is the highest numbered interchange in the USA. That's how far it is in miles (about 1416 km) via I-10 from there to the New Mexico-Texas state line in the El Paso, TX area.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #1416
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

I'd probably put all of Hartford's highways underground.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #1417
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

lol you see, if you guys used the metric system in the US, you could have amazingly high exit numbers

We also have exit numbers in the 800s on Highway 401 near the Quebec border, but that's because of the metric system
Old December 25th, 2007, 06:18 PM   #1418
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Think about how high the exit numbers would be if Ontario's Highway 17 was a freeway. They'd be in the 2,200s.
Old December 26th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #1419
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10394

If we used metric, even I-95 through little Connecticut would be near the 200s.

I believe the last exit is 92 or 93, but it's sequential exits (still common in the NE, pig-headed politicians don't want to spend money to change), I-95 has about 112 mi (~180km) in this state.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #1420
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I like the milemarker-exits better.

The US problem with that is that while there aren't often multiple exits within 1 km, there are often multiple within a mile. Sometimes you have exit 53A - D or something. (American urban exits are usually somewhat closer to eachother than European urban exits).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban