daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1541
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
I wonder how much I would pay for...the closest gas station to my place is $3.37/gal ($0.89/liter)...I guess it would be near $1/liter if implemented.
Last time in Vancouver, BC I paid 1.04$/litre (in US dollars). Now, that I live 1-1.5 km from my university, I haven't driven my car in 3 days. Feels great!
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #1542
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Unfortunately, it is an archaic unit. US ton is equal to 2000 pounds (~0,91 metric tonnes)
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #1543
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
The I-80 between SF and Sac is one of the most traveled roads. I've been on it a fair few times (to visit friends at UC Davis), and I have to admit, its pretty crap, but no worse than roads I usually use. (read 101 between SF and San Jose).

Perhaps because of that I didn't notice. One thing I did notice was the sheer amount of traffic. Despite it being a significant stretch, all the lanes were filled and I couldn't find the room to go faster than 70.
I used to live in Sacramento for 6 years, and I had to use the I-80 an awful lot amount of time. The road is indeed crappy, but not crappy enough to make you worry about your suspension. Plus, the whole way from Sacramento to San Francisco is extremely boring, especially when you are stuck in Berkeley in a traffic jam

One day, on a way to San Francisco airport, we decided to exit in Oakland and get some cash. The time was 23.00 Oh boy... can you picture a scary Hollywood movie with burning cars on a ghetto street? That was something like that
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #1544
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

This could be directed to you too.

Quote:
The motorway gas stations charge $ 2,23 per liter. Somewhat cheaper unmanned ones charge $ 2,07 per liter in the Netherlands. So you guys really have nothing to complain about
True, but we're used to cheap gas, remember.

Back in 2004, it was possible to find gas for $1.88/gal ($0.496/liter). Now you will be lucky to find anything below $3.20. I wish I was able to drive only a couple years ago, I would have save lots of money. Imagine being able to fill up your tank for less than $20! Those days are over.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #1545
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Well, prices also went high in the Netherlands, but they always were much higher than in the United States. I remember when i just got my license, i payed about € 1,20 ( $ 1.76) per liter, but now 2 years later we often pay over € 1,50 ($2,20) per liter.

But in that same 2 years, traffic jams rose with 23%. So it doesn't quite matter how high gas prices are.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #1546
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
Unfortunately, it is an archaic unit. US ton is equal to 2000 pounds (~0,91 metric tonnes)
But then again, it's close enough to be functionally equivalent . Usually when you're talking in tons (or tonnes for that matter), precision isn't necessarily that important.

And yeah, California signage sucks it hard. I have to say for all the states I've been in, I like Colorado's signage the best.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #1547
Yankeebiscuitfan
Spring (Training) is here

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Slow people moving over to the right should be common courtesy too. I think most Americans are too selfish with their cars.
Funny that you say that. IMO the Americans are much more disciplined in the traffic. This keep your lane system would not work in the Netherlands.

Furthermore: When you approach a junction where the one that stopped first can go first... This would not work overhere either. Lots of Dutchmen are way to selfish to let another person go first.
Yankeebiscuitfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #1548
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
Funny that you say that. IMO the Americans are much more disciplined in the traffic. This keep your lane system would not work in the Netherlands.

Furthermore: When you approach a junction where the one that stopped first can go first... This would not work overhere either. Lots of Dutchmen are way to selfish to let another person go first.
Many Americans will disagree with you on the first paragraph.com
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #1549
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Yeah right. That looks like a redneck Texas' boosters wet dream.
Hmm. So the Port of Houston (the US's largest foreign tonnage port, and second in total tonnage), Port of Beaumont (fourth overall), Port of Corpus Christi (seventh overall), and Port of Texas City (tenth overall) are just a "redneck" Texas booster's wet dream. Looks like a huge economic engine for the nation.

Yes, the map is Texas-centric. However, it does represent a HUGE proportion of American truck traffic. I drive I-35 and I-45 enough to know that. Sure, there are a lot of rednecks in Texas too. Not a huge fan of that. However, for an Ohioan to make that claim... amusing, to say the least.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #1550
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
It really depends. Driving in a big city, Americans would probably be more disciplined than Spanish, Italians or French; however, when it comes to highway driving, Americans suck big time. BIG TIME I am talking from the experience
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #1551
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19353

Mmmmm experiences i heard from people driving in the United States were all saying Americans drive much more relaxed and disciplined on the freeways.

In Europe, there is always someone tailgating you, and traffic is always turbulent because of the massive amount of lane switches. Though i like it better when trucks are not allowed on other than the 2 right lanes.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1552
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The Swiss are the best - overtaking with 1 km/h speed difference.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #1553
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Though i like it better when trucks are not allowed on other than the 2 right lanes.
Are they ever allowed on the other lanes??
As far as I know (at least here in Portugal, and I have the impression it's the same in other countries) trucks are only allowed to drive on the 2 right lanes, regardless of how many lanes the motorway has.
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #1554
Alex Von Königsberg

Quote:
Mmmmm experiences i heard from people driving in the United States were all saying Americans drive much more relaxed and disciplined on the freeways.
What do you more by "disciplined"? They are relaxed, alright If Americans were disciplined, then they would follow the signs "Keep right except to pass"/"Slow traffic keep right" that are installed every 5-10 km on the motorways. If they were disciplined, they would not make me overtake them on the right.
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #1555
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 749

Contrary to Europe, regular lane switching is discouraged in the US. The ''keep to your lane'' style of driving is the way Americans have traditionally drived and been encouraged to do so. ''Don't be a jack rabbit'' is the saying I believe. On freeways with just 2 lanes each way this can lead to slower traffic holding the left lane. In Europe regular lane changing is encouraged and even the road layout is offen geared towards forcing drivers to change lanes. Quite the opposite approach.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1556
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Met View Post
I heard some of a North American Super Highway that would start in Mexico extend through America, and go into Canada. Does anyone know anything about this?
Sounds like you mean the CANAMEX corridor

from wiki

The CANAMEX corridor is a corridor linking Canada to Mexico through the United States. The corridor was established under the North American Free Trade Agreement. Currently the corridor is defined by a series of highways. However the corridor is also proposed for use by railroads, pipelines and fiber optic telecommunications infrastructure.

Canada
Alberta- Highway 2, Highway 43
United States
Montana - Interstate 15
Idaho - Interstate 15
Utah - Interstate 15
Nevada - Interstate 15, Interstate 515, U.S. Route 93
Arizona - U.S. Route 93, Interstate 10, Interstate 19. To make the highway drivable as a continuous route also requires the inclusion of Interstate 15 and U.S. Route 60, though they are not officially included.
Mexico
Sonora- Mexico Federal Highway 15
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #1557
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Oh please, there is no such thing as "keep to you own lane" style of driving. People stay in their lanes because most American drivers are too selfish and stupid to understand the concept of lane discipline among other things they forget to teach. Southern and Eastern European drivers(from what i read) may be crazy and aggressive drivers but they sure know how to drive a hella lot better than the drivers here, especially on the freeways.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #1558
KIWIKAAS

Maybe it's changed but that certainly was the case as recently as 15 years ago. In the 90's you saw more and more of the ''Keep Left Unless Passing'' signs appear.
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #1559
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

When it comes to motorways in southern Europe (at least here in Portugal) the biggest problem is that people tend to drive too close to the other cars. The safety distances aren't respected by most drivers...
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #1560
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:

I would agree with that. I've actually driven back and forth across the US multiple times, and have driven through 40 states. I'm quite impressed with out much Americans almost always obey the "pass on the left, ride in the right" rule when not in major metro areas.

Once you get into a crowded area people still tend to stick to the left (cause there aren't exits and you can usually go faster with the flow), but with so many exits and traffic, the whole pass on the left thing is pretty much forgotten. Especially when you're dealing with 4+ lanes going in the same direction.

On rural roads people get very angry when someone is just riding in the left lane and won't move over to let others pass them as they're suppose to. I see it every once in awhile, but honestly not too often. Especially compared with the amount of people driving who obey that rule.

Not sure where some are getting this "Americans wouldn't ever obey that rule, because they're all far too selfish to ever move over or give up a lane". I'm assuming that's just typical stereotyping...
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban