daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #1561
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Well, that part of I-80/94 is now eight lanes wide and between a third and half of all of its vehicles are big-rigs. It's the major east-west highway choke-point in the northern USA (yes, it desperately needs bypassing and redundancy).

See:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...1000&encType=1
for a typical aerial view of this highway at interchange 6 (Burr St) in Gary, IN (that's the TA truck stop in the NW quadrant of this interchange)

Mike
Amen to that....they REALLY need to get a southern bypass of the Chicago region. I'm glad they widened 80/94 to 8 lanes - but I'd still never go near that thing. I've seen it total gridlock at midnight on a tuesday before with no accidents or other events except far too many trucks and cars trying to squeeze past Lake Michigan.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1562
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3707

I admit that its a little harder to keep lane discipline on 8 lane freeways, but thats still a piss poor excuse for driving 50 on the very left lane. We need to improve urban driving somehow cause most people drive on those roads and most road rage happens there. I wonder which urban area has the best discipline on their roads.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #1563
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Contrary to Europe, regular lane switching is discouraged in the US. The ''keep to your lane'' style of driving is the way Americans have traditionally drived and been encouraged to do so. ''Don't be a jack rabbit'' is the saying I believe.
I really don't understand where non-US forum members got this idea No one is encouraging drivers to senselessly keep their lanes and hog the traffic in the fast lanes. Please stop misinforming others on this subject. The majority of US states post the "keep right except to pass" signs on their motorways, but it is rarely enforced, unfortunately. Just because a lot of American drivers don't drive the right way, it doesn't mean it is encouraged over here.
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #1564
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 751

I have seen the "keep right except to pass" signs many times and no I wasn't saying it was incouraged on 2-2 country interstates.
Of course a non US forumer wouldn't have a clue
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #1565
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I used to live in Sacramento for 6 years, and I had to use the I-80 an awful lot amount of time. The road is indeed crappy, but not crappy enough to make you worry about your suspension. Plus, the whole way from Sacramento to San Francisco is extremely boring, especially when you are stuck in Berkeley in a traffic jam

One day, on a way to San Francisco airport, we decided to exit in Oakland and get some cash. The time was 23.00 Oh boy... can you picture a scary Hollywood movie with burning cars on a ghetto street? That was something like that
It wouldn't be so bad if you didnt have to watch for everyone driving incredibly slow intersected by crazy drivers in a hurry to kill themselves.

I actually went to Oakland's chinatown at 2-3 am a couple times. 'Twas a bit scary.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #1566
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Von Königsberg View Post
I have only driven in Western states, and surprisingly I found that the best overall quality of roads was in Nevada. The entire Nevada stretch of I-80 from the border of California to Utah is in nearly perfect condition. In California, they do very poor maintenance of mountainous stretches of I-5 and especially I-80.
I have yet to travel to the Western States. I have seen pictures and they remind me of the roads in Western Australian, The Northern Territory, and South Australia which all have similar climates to Nevada and Arizona.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:54 AM   #1567
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Took a drive to do a little hiking- used parts of Interstates 83, 283 and 76, which is also the Pennsylvania Turnpike...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Approaching Interstate 283, with markers on the pavement to show upcoming lane assignments...
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Now on 283
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Interstate 283 Ends at the Pennsylvania Turnpike- I'll be using my EZ Pass to pay electronically...
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This is the PA Turnpike headquarters...you can see my EZ pass in the corner

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Some bonus coverage to the trail I was hiking on ....

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #1568
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Thanks for the report.

Those road numbers on the concrete looks really good.

Signage is also very good in particular. I've seen much worse. One thing i don't like about US signage is that they sometimes only sign road names in rural area's. I can see why they do that in urban area's, but in rural area's is very inconvenient, since the usual through driver doesn't have a road atlas that detailed that it has every road name. They did a good job on the PA TPK.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #1569
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Thanks for the photos, Billpa!

PA TPK, the oldest US "autobahn", if I'm not mistaken. The pavement seems to be ok, I guess b/c the road is tolled? One thing I noticed at the beginning was that there are obviously I-283, as well as Pa-283, and they even "intersect" each other. What are those signs "you can't afford it" trying to say though? I can't see what's written in the upper part of the signs. Love the old house in the third last picture, hehe.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:10 AM   #1570
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think there is some radar there, and you can't afford the fine.

The Turnpike is indeed the first rural long-distance expressway, formed in 1940. However, New York had autobahn-like parkways much earlier. Not completely up to modern standards, but the earliest date back to 1907.
Old January 20th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #1571
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Thanks guys!

The "Can't afford it sign" is actually an anti-drunk driving message- it has the letters DUI (Driving Under the Influence) with a line through it.
Verso, you're right about the two "283s", I-283 ends at PA 283, which is actually a lot longer in distance. I suppose they were trying to make one long 283. I'm not sure if it really works or is confusing.
Chris, I agree with your comments on the pavement markings- it's something they're trying out- they want to see how well the colors hold up over time. It would be cheaper to just use white....would it be as effective? Honestly, it probably would- but it certainly wouldn't look as nice.
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1572
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ Thanks for the explanation. I like how clean signs are. And of course I like the pavement markings too.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1573
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Incomplete interchange between I-95 and I-295 near Attleboro, Massachusetts, just northeast of Providence, RI.

[IMG]http://i29.************/2qn1mdv.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:43 PM   #1574
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What is the deal with this interchange? It features some unbuild or under construction lanes. To the left and bottom is I-95, to the right I-93, so it's just south of Boston, MA.

There are stuff and cars parked in the unbuild part, so will it be extended somewhere into the southern suburbs?

[IMG]http://i32.************/2r4390z.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:02 PM   #1575
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Check this out, 4 huge apartment buildings on top of the I-95 in Manhattan, New York. How the hell did they do that, those buildings must be very heavy.

[IMG]http://i26.************/35b6map.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 21st, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1576
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Check this out, 4 huge apartment buildings on top of the I-95 in Manhattan, New York. How the hell did they do that, those buildings must be very heavy.
Good question...they must have some sort of system to spread the weight out- but we'll need an engineer to explain that one
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM   #1577
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

It's weird indeed. Maybe there are some pillars in the divider of the interstate?
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1578
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Thanks for the pictures of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Billpa. I've noticed that outside of Texas rural freeways have exits many miles apart. With the frontage roads in Texas there seems to be an exit for at least every mile or even less.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:58 PM   #1579
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

You can't really see it from this pic, but the lanes going into the tunnel split into a core and collector, and there are simply a tonne of interior supports. Impressive though
Old January 21st, 2008, 06:39 PM   #1580
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Thanks for the pictures of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Billpa. I've noticed that outside of Texas rural freeways have exits many miles apart. With the frontage roads in Texas there seems to be an exit for at least every mile or even less.
That's a feature of a lot of the old turnpikes- they had few exits- even in more urban areas....with EZ pass and other electronic tolling you don't need people to man the tollbooths anymore so additional exits are now more feasible.
I used to live near El Paso and am very familiar with the frontage road concept- it's actually a very cool system- although it takes a lot of space!

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban