daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1581
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
[IMG]http://i26.************/35b6map.jpg[/IMG]
Which program is this, Chris?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM   #1582
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Windows Live Local
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM   #1583
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Oh, thanks.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:47 AM   #1584
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

Another unfinished interchange:

This is Interstate 84 meeting CT state route 9, and one of Connecticut's only stack interchanges. Originally, it was meant for our proposed beltway, I-291. But, the highway north of the interchange was cancelled because of opposition. It originally would have cut through large parts of forest, reservoirs, and a lot of rich people's land. Eventually, the entire beltway project was stopped, and only the northeast quarter was built.

I pass through this interchange almost every day to school. It seems as though some of the roads are still usable north of it, because I'm always seeing state vehicles go on it. Here are some more pics:

(from AAroads)

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:52 AM   #1585
Xusein

For some reference, Hartford's proposed network of highways back in the sixties, not all interstate:

(I may have posted this before)

While some were downright ridiculous (SR 189 going through prime real estate), we could have used the I-291 beltway. Although traffic is not that bad when looking at other places, driving in Hartford is a nightmare at times, almost jammed all day. It's not good that I, living west of downtown, can't really bypass it.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:57 AM   #1586
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Holy crap!
That would've been like Long Island or North Jersey if all that had been built.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM   #1587
Xusein

Imagine if they were all built.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:00 AM   #1588
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Well, Hartford does miss some good connections in the northwest of the metropolitan area.

But yes, that plan is a bit overdone, but who knows what kind of population growth projections they used to make?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM   #1589
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
What is the deal with this interchange? It features some unbuild or under construction lanes. To the left and bottom is I-95, to the right I-93, so it's just south of Boston, MA.

There are stuff and cars parked in the unbuild part, so will it be extended somewhere into the southern suburbs?

[IMG]http://i32.************/2r4390z.jpg[/IMG]
No, this was simply part of the unbuilt I-95 corridor in Boston, cancelled due to community opposition, a common theme in the US during the late 1960s-mid 1980s. Not sure what is there now, but there's pretty much no chance of it being constructed in the future.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM   #1590
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Like the I-95 corridors in Washington D.C. and the Somerset Fwy from Trenton to Piscataway?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:50 PM   #1591
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Like the I-95 corridors in Washington D.C. and the Somerset Fwy from Trenton to Piscataway?
Exactly. The federal planners' ideas for I-95 didn't always square with what people in the various states wanted or needed for their transporation needs.
The NJ point is a good example. A look at a national map would have you thinking about a direct connection between NYC and Philly- but NJ didn't care about that.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM   #1592
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, i read the I-95 is being rerouted via the NJ Turnpike and the PA turnpike extension. (Current I-276). It needs a construction of an interchange northeast of Pennsylvania, because the current intersection doesn't feature any interchange.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM   #1593
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Well, i read the I-95 is being rerouted via the NJ Turnpike and the PA turnpike extension. (Current I-276). It needs a construction of an interchange northeast of Pennsylvania, because the current intersection doesn't feature any interchange.

That's correct. Many people driving long distances already use the NJ Turnpike coming out of Delaware as a de facto I-95- and the pike even puts up "TO 95" signs along the way, likely making many motorists feel like they're still on 95.

Here's one that looks like it "has a screw loose"

Old January 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM   #1594
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Exactly. The federal planners' ideas for I-95 didn't always square with what people in the various states wanted or needed for their transporation needs.
The NJ point is a good example. A look at a national map would have you thinking about a direct connection between NYC and Philly- but NJ didn't care about that.
You mean the Turnpike authority didn't care about that.

Who do you think helped fund those community protest groups against I-95 from Trenton to Piscataway?
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 05:13 PM   #1595
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

I don't know.....hmmmmm....lemme think
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1596
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
That's interesting because although people think if Interstate 95 as a continuous highway, it has a gap and gets "lost" north of Philadelphia. I wonder how such an important highway ended up that way.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM   #1597
Xusein

Quote:
Well, Hartford does miss some good connections in the northwest of the metropolitan area.

But yes, that plan is a bit overdone, but who knows what kind of population growth projections they used to make?
Right...Hartford has poor highway connections in the northwest. However, this always was the richest part of the metro area, and is where most of the region's water comes from. Today, it's filled with overcrowded 4-lane roads and accidents are common too. NIMBYs were even strong back then there.

As for the projections of Hartford's population, I don't have the original figures. But, until the late seventies and eighties when the metro population incredibly slowed...it may have been the fastest growing metro in the US Northeast. It was a booming city, unlike some other cities in the region.

It tripled in population between 1950 and 2000. However, those days are over. Hartford has a low (but still growing) growth rate. The plans may have not been warranted if looking at the Hartford of today. And Hartford may have been a much different place if all these highways were built. More sprawled and decentralized, probably.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1598
Xusein

Oh yeah, about the I-95 gap...

Going south to DC down the NJ turnpike isn't too bad and is a straight shooter back to the real interstate , but it does get confusing going north , when I-95 goes to Philly. The signs help you though.

I remember going on a trip to DC and taking I-95 to Philly, and I was confused as hell when I got to New Jersey. I remember getting off the interstate and asking where I-95 went.

But taking the old way down the NJ turnpike after I-95 is rerouted would probably be the best way, it's a good bypass. You pass almost the entire Philly area.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM   #1599
ChrisZwolle
Road user

But New York is signed there in Delaware? Via the NJ Turnpike? Not via Wilmington and Philadelphia is suppose...
Old January 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM   #1600
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

95 will still go through Philadelphia, it'll come down the NJ Turnpike and cross the Delaware on the PA Pike extension and then turn south on what's already 95 in Bucks County.

More on this here...
http://www.paturnpikei95.com/home.htm

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban