daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:00 PM   #1601
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
But New York is signed there in Delaware? Via the NJ Turnpike? Not via Wilmington and Philadelphia is suppose...
Correct...

Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:55 AM   #1602
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Nice pictures. I'm not sure if it's just me but the NJ turnpike drive is extremely booooring. I love trees but they hide everything else and the exits are like 20 miles apart. Instead of feeling like you're in New Jersey it feels like you're in another dimension until it spits you out into the Newark area. To this day I have no idea what New Jersey looks like because I've only been on the turnpike. Any other highway seems to give you an idea of what lies beyond the shoulder.

[IMG]http://i28.************/fb9em8.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i26.************/96i653.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.************/255ksc6.jpg[/IMG]
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:04 AM   #1603
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

oh yes, the NJ is really boring, I thought before we went there that I could get some views to Philadelphia, but unfornutely not but: that turnpike would fit well in Germany, for fast travelling
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:54 AM   #1604
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I'm not sure if it's just me but the NJ turnpike drive is extremely booooring. I love trees but they hide everything else and the exits are like 20 miles apart.
Patrick's right, the NJ TPK is all about getting from point A to point B as fast as possible. It is straight as an arrow and doesn't mess about with dozens of exits on minor roads and streets.
FM, if you're in the area again, you might consider taking 295...it parallels the pike in south Jersey and offers more to see.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...5909&z=11&om=0
Old January 23rd, 2008, 01:57 AM   #1605
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10381

The NJ turnpike is only boring in South Jersey. That I could understand.

But, being a fan of industrial landscapes and urbanity...it's a "fun" drive seeing the oil refineries, large interchanges, rail lines, Newark Airport, and being able see the Manhattan skyline on one of the bridges in North Jersey. Plus, the enormity is something too!
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM   #1606
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Patrick's right, the NJ TPK is all about getting from point A to point B as fast as possible. It is straight as an arrow and doesn't mess about with dozens of exits on minor roads and streets.
FM, if you're in the area again, you might consider taking 295...it parallels the pike in south Jersey and offers more to see.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...5909&z=11&om=0

I'll try that next time. It looks like coming from the south I'd take 295 to 195, then 95 right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
The NJ turnpike is only boring in South Jersey. That I could understand.

But, being a fan of industrial landscapes and urbanity...it's a "fun" drive seeing the oil refineries, large interchanges, rail lines, Newark Airport, and being able see the Manhattan skyline on one of the bridges in North Jersey. Plus, the enormity is something too!

I love industrial landscapes as well. I've always been fascinated with stuff like that.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM   #1607
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
I'll try that next time. It looks like coming from the south I'd take 295 to 195, then 95 right?
Yeah, that's right...It won't be as fast- but it won't be slow either...there's actually a couple of places where drivers on the pike and 295 can see each other- they're really close.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM   #1608
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:

Nice pictures. I'm not sure if it's just me but the NJ turnpike drive is extremely booooring. I love trees but they hide everything else and the exits are like 20 miles apart. Instead of feeling like you're in New Jersey it feels like you're in another dimension until it spits you out into the Newark area. To this day I have no idea what New Jersey looks like because I've only been on the turnpike. Any other highway seems to give you an idea of what lies beyond the shoulder.

[IMG]http://i28.************/fb9em8.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i26.************/96i653.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i25.************/255ksc6.jpg[/IMG]
To me, it seemed like all of NJ's highways are like that. I-80 is cool when you get toward the Delaware Water Gap, since it gets very hilly and mountainous near the border. However, the Parkway through central and South Jersey is completely tree-lined, as is I-287 and I-78 going away from NYC. Oh, and way too many state troopers up there, btw.

Taking the train up there is much more interesting, IMO
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #1609
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Funny, in South Dakota, the gridpattern is very much alive in rural area's, all local rural roads are exactly one mile apart, and the road names increase to the east, so there is a 487th Avenue east of Sioux Falls.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #1610
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is even a 900th Avenue in Minnesota

But they add 10 each mile, in contrast to 1 to one mile in South Dakota.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #1611
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I just checked the I-90 in Chicago, and the number of exits just east of downtown is really crazy, they are only 80 - 100 meters apart

This might be the highest exit density in the world. Maybe they have numbered them like Exit 88A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I etc.
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1612
ChrisH

Likes (Received): 12

That stretch in Chicago is pretty crazy, but about half the ramps have been closed. So only an exit every 300m!

They are numbered with letters as you suggest. I think it goes up to J?
ChrisH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #1613
ChrisZwolle
Road user

300m is still crazy, it means you'll pass by an exit every few seconds or so. It gives a lot of turbulency at the highway, which is not good for the traffic flow, it easy gets interrupted. Changing these exits is hard, since the I-90 is below street level here with a continuous line of overpasses.
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #1614
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are 8 exits in 1100 meters or a 7th of a mile or 1200 yards.

[IMG]http://i31.************/r20nde.png[/IMG]
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1615
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Interesting, but that's not such a problem; on-ramps are problematic.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #1616
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Depends on rushhour direction

With so many exits, waiting lines at local streets easily jams the Interstate in the morning.

I am not against a good distribution of traffic, in fact i think the grid street pattern is better than the European style of streets patterns, but this are too many exits. In the Netherlands 2 exits would be a lot on this section, and we are talking about 4 times that number of exits.
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #1617
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

^ almost all, if not all, of those exits on I-90 also have on=ramps, and our five lane highway running along the Westside highway is terribly slow most of the time. But that's nothing. We still have I-55 which goes all the way to new orleans, I-80 and I-90 that go from coast to coast, I-94 which goes from detroit to the west coast, plus 4 other tollways/ highways that stem from the city outwards to various points. Chicago is the transit hub of america including trucking, all other interstate transit, railroads, and connection points in our national transit system. It'd be nice if DC paid more respect to chicago and helped us out with our transit crisis. No other city has a national transit burden that we have, and with our extreme changes in weather year-round we're having a hell of a time keeping up.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #1618
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

It's an old expressway that was built before civil engineers had 50+ years of data on modern traffic flows.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #1619
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
It's an old expressway that was built before civil engineers had 50+ years of data on modern traffic flows.
But, still, it would've been better to put the exits on the left and the entrances on the right. Left-hand entrances suck, and that was known fifty years ago.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #1620
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

If I were a city planner, I would demolish most of those and make entrance lanes from the left corresponding to those exits remaining.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban