daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #1641
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Thanks to NIMBYism, sprawl, and new environmental law, its nearly impossible to build or upgrade freeways in this country. And unless the Feds do something to reverse sprawl, except more traffic jams regardless of new roads.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2008, 04:16 AM   #1642
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Thanks to NIMBYism, sprawl, and new environmental law, its nearly impossible to build or upgrade freeways in this country. And unless the Feds do something to reverse sprawl, except more traffic jams regardless of new roads.
Are you joking? They're upgrading and building new expressways all over the place, even here in low growth places like Ohio.

After my recent trip to Houston, TX, I think they need to be doing more to limit the horizontal growth of some of these roads. I'm usually a big fan of wide roads and stack interchanges, but in Texas they're so widespread that the whole landscape is blighted by endless concrete and trashy neon developments.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:06 AM   #1643
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Sorry, i meant urban freeways, at least in the northeast. In MD, there are plans of planning a new tollway from I-370 in Montgomery County to I-95 in Laurel, MD.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:51 AM   #1644
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
After my recent trip to Houston, TX, I think they need to be doing more to limit the horizontal growth of some of these roads. I'm usually a big fan of wide roads and stack interchanges, but in Texas they're so widespread that the whole landscape is blighted by endless concrete and trashy neon developments.
A problem with US Highways is that they are often just ugly concrete monsters. Chinese expressway are much better to look at, also creating less opposition to a freeway. (though that shouldn't be a problem in China anyway).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:31 PM   #1645
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interstate 90 has just been reopened after an avalanche, but is closed again after a second avalanche trapping cars.
Old January 31st, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1646
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Are you joking? They're upgrading and building new expressways all over the place, even here in low growth places like Ohio.

Hey, buddy... as a native, I can tell you, it wouldn't be much to look at even if the freeways weren't there. Problem isn't too much freeway construction, its the ubiquitous feeder roads (a blessing and a curse) and the fact that Houston has no zoning (blessing and curse applies here too).
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #1647
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I just saw something interesting in Louisville, Kentucky

The Interstate 65 has 14 lanes near the airport, this is a capacity of 350,000 vehicles/day, while the actual AADT is only 116,000 vehicles/day

Why is this stretch so hugely oversized?
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #1648
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

"Louisvul!" (from Elizabethtown )
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #1649
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
I just saw something interesting in Louisville, Kentucky

The Interstate 65 has 14 lanes near the airport, this is a capacity of 350,000 vehicles/day, while the actual AADT is only 116,000 vehicles/day

Why is this stretch so hugely oversized?
I drive this stretch several times a year, and the reason it's that wide is close proximity of exits near the airport, which is a major cargo hub. It's more of a safety than capacity issue.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #1650
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Haha, it did look boring on the flat stretch. I think the excitement of being in California for the first time kept me awake.
I can think of only two stretches east of the Mississippi River that rival the 5/Central Valley in that category: I-57 for almost its entire length until the south suburbs of Chicago, and I-75 between Macon, GA, and Tampa. The funny thing about that stretch of I-75 is that it's one of the busiest stretches of rural interstate in the US.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #1651
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I can think of only two stretches east of the Mississippi River that rival the 5/Central Valley in that category: I-57 for almost its entire length until the south suburbs of Chicago, and I-75 between Macon, GA, and Tampa. The funny thing about that stretch of I-75 is that it's one of the busiest stretches of rural interstate in the US.
In my travels, I have found I-90 between Cleveland, OH and Buffalo, NY to be dreadfully boring, much more so than I-57 in Illinois, which I have found to be somewhat interesting.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #1652
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I-80 in Pennsylvania:
(Click the links for high-res):

http://www.canhighways.com/Pa/PHOTOS/I80_Pa_4_lg.jpg

http://www.canhighways.com/Pa/PHOTOS/I80_Pa_5_lg.jpg

http://www.canhighways.com/Pa/PHOTOS/I80_Pa_7_lg.jpg
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #1653
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

i miss the old title of the thread.

it was so much more fun!
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:13 AM   #1654
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Doesn't the I-90 offer some views of Lake Erie?
Old February 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #1655
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Doesn't the I-90 offer some views of Lake Erie?
It sure does...It also goes through some beautiful vineyards and smells like grapes if you travel at the right time of the year.

I don't have any pictures- but I took this one a couple of years ago...I 90 is just beyond the trees at the end of this vineyard:

image hosted on flickr
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #1656
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
In my travels, I have found I-90 between Cleveland, OH and Buffalo, NY to be dreadfully boring, much more so than I-57 in Illinois, which I have found to be somewhat interesting.

Mike
Try driving 1-80 between Denver and Chicago. 15 hours of absolutely nothing but corn and more corn. I've done that drive a few times and wanted to kill myself everytime I did it. At least heading west you have some nice scenery to look at.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #1657
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czas na Żywiec View Post
Try driving 1-80 between Denver and Chicago. 15 hours of absolutely nothing but corn and more corn. I've done that drive a few times and wanted to kill myself everytime I did it. At least heading west you have some nice scenery to look at.
Been there, done that. During my 1994 roadtrip to Colorado, I hopped off of I-80 at first opportunity to use paralleling US 30 across Nebraska on my eastbound return trip. It runs right next to the World's busiest freight railroad - 120 trains/day on average.

About I-90, yes, there is some interest in the area around the PA/NY state line (yes, the vineyards), but most of it is straight or long broad curves, long gentle grades and absolutely unchanging trees, trees, more trees and still more trees. And yes, you can see Lake Erie in the distance from several sections, but it just doesn't overcome that stifling boredom. Going eastbound, I-86 (it connects with I-90 just east of Erie) is a welcome relief.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1658
ChrisZwolle
Road user

And the I-86 is together with I-88 a toll free alternative to Albany and further to the east.
Old February 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #1659
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I-86 (New York's Southern Tier Expressway) is one of the most scenic drives, but also one of the most treacherous if you get caught in a blizzard during the winter time. When I was driving back from Ithaca to Toledo one year with friends, our car was caught in a terrible blizzard. We were going maybe 40 mph, but the driver lost control and the car spun around several times and veered off the road. We were lucky there wasn't a big truck around, which would have easily crushed us. We were also lucky to be driving on perhaps the one flat segment of road on I-86 (most of it is hills and cliffs), so we came to a safe stop after ploughing through 30 feet of waist deep snow.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #1660
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I-80 in Pennsylvania:
(Click the links for high-res):

http://www.canhighways.com/Pa/PHOTOS/I80_Pa_4_lg.jpg
Reminds me of old Italian motorways. It looks pretty bad for an Interstate.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban