daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #1681
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

This summer, I will visit Alaska, let's see how roads are there.... (Dalton highway....)
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #1682
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ The Dalton Highway may be good for where it is, but don't expect it to be Struma quality. (it's not paved, btw)
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #1683
hoosier

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Many hours?
Some of us live here.
There are problems here, but I think you could do worse in places like Louisiana.
My biggest gripe has to do with the Penn Turnpike (I-76) and the fact that you have to exit onto surface streets to connect to intersecting freeways like I-99 and I-81.

Indiana's roads aren't much better, so I wasn't trying to be arrogant.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1684
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
^ The Dalton Highway may be good for where it is, but don't expect it to be Struma quality. (it's not paved, btw)
Yeah, I know. I hope to make a one-day organized tour from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle (with most of the rented cars it's not allowed to go on unpaved roads, unless you hire a 4×4). If I do that, I will of course try to make some nice pics.
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #1685
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Does anybody now where i can find Texas AADT figures? i couldn't find it on the TX DOT website.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #1686
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

New section of interstate to open Thursday, 2008-02-21

A new 12 km section of I-40 opens on Thursday, 2008-02-21 in the western part of the Greensboro, NC area. This completes the southern part city's 'Urban Loop' bypass and I-40 will be rerouted onto it. Current I-40 through the city's downtown area will become 'BUSINESS I-40'. Also, a northwestern section of that Urban Loop (I-73/840) north of current I-40 opened this past December.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs...TAFF/834362596

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:45 AM   #1687
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I think its kind of funny that a controlled access freeway that lacks direct business access would be named a business route.
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:52 AM   #1688
ttownfeen

Likes (Received): 17

I've never seen a highway reassurance maker that is blue. I thought black and white was pretty standard in the USA (except for California's green reassurance markers, I think).
ttownfeen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:11 AM   #1689
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Minnesota is pretty unique.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 06:54 PM   #1690
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
I think its kind of funny that a controlled access freeway that lacks direct business access would be named a business route.
It is strange in the US as well. Normally that stretch would be renamed from I-40 to something like I-240 or I-440, etc. Business Routes are normally spurs that go into a city center, are surface streets, and then catch back up to the interstate.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:49 PM   #1691
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
in SACRAMENTO, CA:

I-80 goes north to avoid much of the heart of the city

while BUSINESS I-80 (a controlled access freeway) goes thru downtown (also known as 'capitol city freeway')
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:06 AM   #1692
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Interstate 410 in San Antonio, Texas. How very American:

image hosted on flickr
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:49 AM   #1693
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

i LOVE that picture.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:52 AM   #1694
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Quote:

image hosted on flickr
Jesus H. Christ that's ugly.

I'm not sure I would call it "American", as it is peculiarly "Texan". Here in Ohio, the state DOT and other civil engineering authorities just don't build stuff that way. Actually I rather like the way cities are built in Ohio. Our ten lane roads are actually pretty nice where they do exist. It's because of Texas's insistence on building those service roads next to expressways that you get scenes like that. Actually, pretty much all of Houston looks like that, with ten lane expressways with six service lanes on each side, with a Walmart on one side, and giant Target on the other side, and McDonald's and "Taco Shops" as far as the eye can see, all with enormous bright signs rising into the sky so people on the other side of the 16 lanes of traffic can see them. In contrast, the commercial avenues here in Ohio tend to have maybe 5 lanes (including the center turn lane) and the commercial signage is a lot more understated.

Last edited by Paddington; February 22nd, 2008 at 03:01 AM.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM   #1695
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Is that the new I-410/US 281 interchange on the city's north side? For many years those two major freeways crossed there with *NO* direct connection between them.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:57 AM   #1696
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

image hosted on flickr
I love that picture too. Texas does it right with Frontage Roads.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:12 AM   #1697
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
Is that the new I-410/US 281 interchange on the city's north side? For many years those two major freeways crossed there with *NO* direct connection between them.

Mike

Oh man, that intersection is awful and I'm glad they're finally building a proper freeway interchange for this junction.

Living in Texas I love the frontage roads. They serve many good purposes especially when there's an accident on the freeway, you can just by pass it by exiting on the frontage road.

I remember being surprised going to other states and NOT seeing frontage roads until I realized that this is a Texas thing. Frontage roads make the city much more accessible and with easier access to businesses. If you're gonna put them somewhere, you might as well put the businesses on the freeway.

If you want scenery, there's Farm to Market Roads for that. I love Farm Roads as you can tell by my username.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 09:28 AM   #1698
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

Yeah Frontage Roads are a good thing i think. In urban area's, it can also replace traffic jams waiting for traffic lights to the Frontage road, instead directly on the freeway.

Though most American highways lack aesthetics, because they usually made completely from concrete. I don't know, but asphalted ones just make it less ugly.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM   #1699
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

I don't know. I think frontage roads are pretty stupid, if for no other reason than they create terrible urban concrete blight. There's a reason why the rest of the U.S. doesn't build them. I actually find driving around in Texas to be a pretty big hassle compared to elsewhere in the U.S. (including California's congested roads), just because of the frontage roads. Also, try getting to a business that's on the other side of the 16 lanes of traffic. When I was in Texas, I noticed that going out for simple errands takes much longer because of all the frontage roads, U-turns, etc. involved.

In fact, according to this even Texas has decided against them:

http://austin.about.com/od/streets/f/frontageroad.htm

Quote:
Though most American highways lack aesthetics, because they usually made completely from concrete. I don't know, but asphalted ones just make it less ugly.
If that concrete monster above was made out of asphalt, it would still look pretty damn ugly. It's not a view you would want from your window or business.
Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM   #1700
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

I'm not sure what that article is talking about because the new tollway built in Austin have frontage roads or provisions for frontage roads. If it wasn't for frontage roads it would be much harder to turn a regular highway into a freeway. When they upgraded U.S. 183 from a highway with traffic lights they cleared land, built frontage roads then when those were done they started work on the freeway. After that you have a freeway with frontage roads.

Tollways 45 and 130 have frontage roads for a good portion of them. The difference I see is that frontage roads bring the freeway to the "front yard" instead of keeping it in the "back yard."

When I was in California in November in Ventura I saw a "Whole Foods" store from the freeway but I had no idea how to get to it. If the freeway had frontage roads I could easily exit, do a U-turn and find my way back to that street. Same thing happened out there when I was looking for an In-N-Out burger. I saw a sign sticking up a few hundred feet from the freeway but I already passed the exit. The next exit was about 2 miles away and it was tough trying to find that restaurant. Also frontage roads give you more exits from the freeway and reduces traffic congestion because all those people that don't really need to be on the freeway can drive on the frontage road. It's just better for business in my opinion.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban