daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #161
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

No way TX, CA and NY have worst hightway, try LA and MS.

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:16 AM   #162
Stratosphere 2020

Likes (Received): 4151

Why Louisiana and Mississippi? Because they are poorest states that can maintain their highways? I would think that rich states like Texas, California and New York would provide better quality highways.
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #163
Liam-Manchester

Likes (Received): 0

Missouri from my experience, between St Louis and Columbia the surfaces were very poor.
Liam-Manchester no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #164
great prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere 2020
Why Louisiana and Mississippi? Because they are poorest states that can maintain their highways? I would think that rich states like Texas, California and New York would provide better quality highways.
Texas, California, and New York have alot more highways to take care of espically Texas. Texas has some of the nicest and some of the worst in the country.
great prairie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #165
(roadguy44)

Easily PA and AL, I live in Alabama and let me tell you, the roads suck!
Old March 1st, 2006, 06:50 PM   #166
DBR96A

REGARDING PENNSYLVANIA HIGHWAYS...

http://www.etrucker.com/apps/news/article.asp?id=50570

On the International Roughness Index, in which lower numbers are better, the commonwealth scored 103, just above the national median of 99, Kirkpatrick says.

“If you’re a trucker, you’re going to end up in Pennsylvania at some point,” PennDOT’s Kirkpatrick says, adding that his state has the highest Interstate truck use in the Northeast.

Also worth considering is that Pennsylvania has more miles of state-maintained roads than any other state in the U.S. (yes, even more than Texas and California). Whenever you have to do all your resurfacing jobs by yourself, it becomes a lot harder.

Yet another thing to consider: Most of Pennsylvania's Interstates were built before 1975; in fact, four stretches of Interstate were built before there were any Interstate highways. Those stretches include the Pennsylvania Turnpike between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, I-70 between Washington and New Stanton, I-279/I-376 through Pittsburgh, and I-76 between King of Prussia and Philadelphia. Each of them was built before 1956.

Since about 1995, PennDOT has not just been resurfacing their highways; they've been pulling them out of the ground and reconstructing them from the roadbed up, engineering them to modern highway standards (as opposed to 1975 highway standards). Now while this will help dramatically improve the highways' longevity, it's also a lot more expensive and time-consuming than a simple resurfacing. But with the roadbeds as old and beat-up by 18-wheelers as they are (remember, Pennsylvania has the most 18-wheeler traffic in the Northeast), simply resurfacing the highways is like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. This is why a full-scale reconstruction is in order.

As for the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the tolls were increased so the entire highway from state line to state line can be reconstructed, starting with the original Pittsburgh-to-Harrisburg stretch which has a roadbed that dates back to 1940! The Turnpike reconstruction will involve widening the median, installing new barriers, improving drainage, thickening and reengineering the roadbed, and making it a 6-lane highway near Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philadelphia.

So for as much as people like to criticize Pennsylvania's highways, it's not like they aren't making improvements on them. I think a lot of this "worst highways" talk is more perception than reality. Everyone talks about the "pavement change" at the state line, but near the state lines aren't the only places where Pennsylvania has highways. Pennsylvania is reconstructing their highways piece by piece. It'll take time. Rome wasn't (re)built in a day.
DBR96A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:33 PM   #167
davidwei01
Snowboarding -> Surfing

Likes (Received): 10

New York City
davidwei01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #168
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwei01
New York City
That's not a state
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #169
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere 2020
Texas highways are good quality but the roads and avenues arent.
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #170
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Likes (Received): 7231

Quote:
Originally Posted by (roadguy44)
Easily PA and AL, I live in Alabama and let me tell you, the roads suck!
no offence but once you enter Florida from Alabama you notice a better pavement right away.

Don Pacho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #171
r2

Likes (Received): 1

georgia: has really nice freeways urband AND rural

florida: varies - either they're state of the art or left-overs from 40 years ago

north carolina: has really nice interurban interstates but they cant seem to figure out how to build a proper urban freeway network

indiana: the tollroad between chicago and ohio is nice

pennsylvania: hopeless

new jersey: new jersey is just plain ugly and so are the freeways

maryland: comprehensive, loads of capacity and well maintained

washington state: stunning scenery and the freeways that have been updated incorporate architectural elements and public art which is awesome but I-5 through the center of the city looks like a forboding concrete pit ... because it is a forboding concrete pit

chicago (havent been anywhere else in IL): chicagoland freeways must have been the shit when built 30 or 40 years ago but are now decidedly out of date and over capacity

minnesota: excellent, rural and urban.

south carolina: yeesh, nuff said. and whatever you do, dont get off I95 to take a wizz unless youre at a rest area

louisiana: terrible ... wierd, unattractive, under capacity, poorly laid out but the state is geographically challenged so i understand.

new york: i have seen but not driven on the freeways in new york city and, that said, i will never NEVER drive on any freeway in new york city

ohio: i've seen worse and i've seen better.

west virginia: i've only been there once and the interstates were'nt bad ... none of the roads were bad actually

virginia: this is my home state so bear with me while i rant. virginia, more than any state i've lived in, seems singularly incapable of or unwilling to build the freeway AND highway infrastructure necessary to service both urban and rural areas alike. most of the state's rural interstate network is approaching gridlock ... try driving from norfolk to washington ESPECIALLY during the summer. richmond is the only metro area in the commonwealth to have the freeway network and capacity that it needs. both the NOVA and SEVA urban areas are seriously SERIOUSLY in need of help. not that the roads are overly unattractive or in especially bad shape ... there is just an amazing lack of capacity given the population of both of those areas.

alaska: there are practically no roads in alaska! beside anchorage and fairbanks, you HAVE to fly to where you're going bc the terrain and climate are so extreme they conspire to make road building virtually impossible.

thats about all i can think of right now.
r2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #172
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

I agree about SEVA, Nova though, it's really bad, bad in the areas that shouldn't be so bad like woodbridge, stafford and up to springfield, out past fairfax county, the sprawl just sucks they can screw themselves. There are some improvements coming to SEVA and Nova, and the METRO isn't done expanding as it will eventually go to Ft. Belvoir and probably Dulles. Along with more infill stations sooner or later. But the roads themselves are good.

Michigan and PA have some roads that are in terrible shape. There are places that have congestion and that's an issue, but the roads themselves aren't as bad as Michigan and PA, generally, they're older and in sub par condition. Many of them aren't congested, but it's the condition of them that just suck at places. Richmond does get favored though with infrastructure issues and the roads aren't wide enough in many places, but I think wider roads along with mass transit both need to be aggressively worked on.
NovaWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #173
CodyW

I don't know if I would say California (as a state) has the worst.. I know LA has pretty bad highways. The Phoenix area highways are all nice and new. But up until a few years ago I-17 sucked when it got into downtown/south phoenix. So, yeah, I'd have to go with PA!
CodyW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #174
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Judging from I-20 between Dallas and Shreveport, I-49 between Shreveport and Baton Rouge, I-10 between Shreveport and Jacksonville, and I-95 south to Miami late in 2000...

Texas: awesome.

Louisiana: Some expressway connecting I-20 with I-49 around Shreveport looked brand new and state of the art. I-49 was in great shape. I-10 has seen better days, but was generally OK.

Mississippi and Alabama: very nice, except for a 10 mile section in one of the states (don't remember which) that was being rebuilt. Apparently, the rest was done, and was was quite nice.

Florida: Absolutely, positively the worst roads of the lot. Driving across the border from Alabama to Florida was like driving into a third world country. The shoulders vanished, and the road went from smooth black asphalt to the awful seashell roadway that Florida used to think was a cool 20 years ago... giving way to cracked and heaving concrete slabs somewhere between Pensacola and Tallahassee before improving in Jacksonville. I-95? Antique and grossly inadequate. I don't think I managed to go faster than 45mph until I was about 40 miles south of Daytona. Gridlock the whole f**king way to Miami. Wait, it gets worse. I ended up at I-95 and I-595 at 4:30. TWO HOURS LATER, I was home in Coral Gables. It actually took longer to drive 30 miles from Broward to Dade than it took to drive across Mississippi AND Alabama.

Florida does have a few good roads (I-95 through Broward County, most of Orlando's new roads), and just about all the new roads built or rebuilt since 1990 have been great... but god help you if you end up stuck on one of its many outdated antique roadways desperately in need of a bulldozer, 16-laning, and a few Texas-like 6-level stacks (yeah, I got badly spoiled by Texas roads when I was out there. Texas freeways beat Florida's up, down, left, right, and diagonally.

Oh, and northern Florida also had absolutely the worst radio stations of any state I had to drive through. Thank god for Sirius... it's the only thing that makes driving more than a hundred miles from Miami bearable. I think Nebraska and Iowa have better radio stations than northern Florida does.

Last edited by miamicanes; March 17th, 2006 at 07:52 AM.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #175
nysgreg

worst highway network within a state

Some here must be smoking crack... being a military vet I had the opportunity to travel through 42 of the 50 states

Keep in mind here that we are talking about the actual highways conditions not the traffic or the network design... we talking about how often will you need to change your struts after driving in a state

california??? not even close to be the worse... I-80 is well maintained from the mountains to the bay area
I-5 is a nice drive from san diego to the northern cali border. I-10 is nice same for I-15

texas???? get REAL... I-35 even in the urban dallas ft-worth area isn't that bad... san antonio area has nice highways as well. houston also... I-20 is nice and clean..

Lousiana? I can't speak for after katrina but before, I-10 was nice.. even through baton roube and N-O... I-49 is nice too

New York state has a decent interstate system upstate, I-84, I-87 (both the northway and the thruway) I-90 (thruway) and I-81 are very well maintainted when you consider new york's climate... New York City has the WORST highway system, local roads etc.. THE WORST... take this from a new yoker who drove in boston, chicago, St-louis, LA, DC, miami, RIchmond VA, even in montreal canada and toronto canadac, Detroit, cincinnati, cleveland etc,.... and NYC has the WORST HANDS DOWN!!! but since we talking about states, Upstate roads make up for the fiasco we call road network in NYC

Pennsylvania WINS the prize.... I drove I-76 from east to west, and I-80 from ohio to the delaware water gap... and WTF... I wouldn't wanna see what your inner cities highways look like if thats the crap you have in your rural settings.. either PENNDOT is out of money or out of workers... either way, they have alot of work cut out for em!
nysgreg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #176
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Florida and some LA freeways from what i remember.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:43 AM   #177
nysgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk
Florida and some LA freeways from what i remember.
florida??? really? most florida highways allow for safe high speed travel which is why the FHP is VERY present on its highway system it patrols.

you really don't know what a bad highway is if you think florida is the worse

Louisiana? not even close to worse... even the causeway sections of I-10 are well maintained

Last edited by nysgreg; March 20th, 2006 at 06:29 AM.
Old March 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM   #178
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

I am surprised that Michigan hasn't gotten more votes. This leaves me with a bad impression of the US highways that I haven't driven. I have posted a few photos taken from some Michigan interstates. Bare in mind, not all of there roads are as rough as this, just too many of them are.

]

sonysnob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:12 AM   #179
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

Quote:
Originally Posted by nysgreg
florida??? really? most florida highways allow for safe high speed travel which is why the FHP is VERY present on its highway system it patrols.

you really don't know what a bad highway is if you think florida is the worse

Louisiana? not even close to worse... even the causeway sections of I-10 are well maintained
I'm talking about Los Angeles.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:06 PM   #180
nysgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk
I'm talking about Los Angeles.
los angeles is a CITY not a STATE... if it was a contest between cities, NYC would win HANDS down over ANY CITY

Tags
america, california, highway, highways, interstate, los angeles, united states, urban